hello all,

I am not sure if i'm about to jump ship from BBRY altogether as this is not making me happy now. My playbook will no longer boot as I charged it all night and as soon as i plug it in it shows a red light and followed by yellow flashes and nothing. it sometimes stops on "Blackberry playbook logo " screen.

Any ideas before i just jot it away ?

Much appreciated
    JR
    07-04-13 07:14 AM
    May need to do a "stacked charge"

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 07:21 AM
    May need to do a "stacked charge"

Posted via CB10
    what the heck is that

When plugging in I get a red battery logo then soon after the blackberry playbook logo... and then stays stuck.
    Seems like it's not accepting a charge
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook dead ? red light followed by 5 yellow flashes and won't boot-img-20130704-00528.jpg   Playbook dead ? red light followed by 5 yellow flashes and won't boot-img-20130704-00529.jpg   Playbook dead ? red light followed by 5 yellow flashes and won't boot-img-20130704-00528.jpg   Playbook dead ? red light followed by 5 yellow flashes and won't boot-img-20130704-00529.jpg  
    07-04-13 07:37 AM
    Don't keep trying if you get the Red light/5 Yellows... you'll soon drag the battery down past where you can start it again. Leave it off, plug it in and let it charge (with at least a 1.8A charger). Once you get the flashing (once every few seconds) green light, you can power it up - on the charger. If you do drag it down below the red flash/5 yellows, plug it in for 1 minute, unplug (at the wall) for a second or so, plug it back in and repeat for 20-30 minutes. You'll eventually get the red/yellows and then leave it plugged in (and off) until you get the flashing green. It's a PITA but the PlayBook has a very conservative charging algorithm when the battery is below 2.67 Volts to prevent explosions (I'm guessing). I've never been unable to start one with that method.

Mapsonburt:

The PlayBook OS currently shuts down at 3.5 volts. When the battery gets below 2.67V it won't show power lights or even try to start because there isn't enough juice to even power the processor to run the code on the BIOS. The BIOS is software hard coded on a chip within the PlayBook that tells it how to load the PlayBook OS and is coded such that it only recognizes signed PlayBook boot images (which is why it is so hard to root and that nobody has been able to get one to boot Android or WebOS. The BIOS software also contains some charging algorithms for when the OS is not running - ie device is powered off but plugged into a charging source. This code ONLY runs when the battery is above 2.67 volts because the processor can't run below that.

The root of the problem is that this design issue prevents the device from accepting any charge longer than 60 seconds when the battery is too low to run the charging algorithms on the BIOS or on the OS (one runs before the device is powered on and one runs afterwards). RIM did this because Lithium Ion batteries have a nasty habit of catching fire if not charged properly so they wanted to ensure that the processor could be in control of the charging. Makes perfect sense and they probably thought they were avoiding situations like where early Li Ion batteries on laptops were catching on fire. The problem is they were a bit too aggressive in dealing with the problem at design stage. If the battery is below 2.67Volts their protective algorithms can't run but you also can't put enough charge into the battery to charge it! Hence all the reports of people having success with stack charging.

Unfortunately there are a lot of wrong ways to do this floating around out there and getting repeated everyone someone posts a new thread on the issue. It really should be made a sticky. What is the right way?

1) ONLY use a source that provides 1.7Amps or more of charge. The original charger provides this. The rapid chargers provide a lot more. Your phone charger only provides a fraction of this. Anything less is going to take forever to charge the battery above 2.67 volts and may not have enough juice to charge the battery AT ALL once the processor starts to run above 2.67Volts or even worse once the OS starts to run above 3.5Volts. Forget about using your computer to charge it when the OS isn't running as the computer looks for the hardware to identify itself and won't put out a full charge current unless the device indicates it can accept. Once the OS is running, you'd often CAN get enough power from the USB on the computer but that is because the OS has signaled it is OK for the computer to send it. When the OS/BIOS isn't running, the PlayBook won't take much/any charge from a computer. The rapid chargers are best as they quickly charge but more importantly do not use the (too) flimsy USB port. A lot of problems are caused by this port getting wobbly over time and the device not getting a charge at all. Everyone should have a rapid charger.

2) Until you get your device WELL above the 3.5Volts that let's the PlayBook boot, do NOT try to start it. Every attempt drags the battery down some more and that attempt sucks much more charge from the battery than you can put in in those 60 seconds before the hardware shuts down the charging. How can you tell where your battery is? Well if you are getting no lights on the playbook on your first charging attempt you are below 2.67volts. If lights go on and then it doesn't start the OS it is below 3.5Volts. If it loads the OS and then dies it is just above 3.5Volts. If the device loads the OS it is somewhere below 5.0Volts. Depending upon where you start (how low the battery is) various techniques work best. They are: REAL stack charging (plug in for 60 seconds, unplug, plug in for 60 seconds, repeat until the processor starts accepting charging (the big battery symbol on the screen). Again, DO NOT try to turn the device on until then. You are just working against yourself and it will take much longer. You should get the charging symbol within 20-45 minutes of repeated REAL stack charging. Forget you ever heard of plugging in for 2 mins and then off for 2 mins and similar as those 2 mins of off time are COMPLETELY worthless. I have put a multimeter on the PlayBook in this state and it NEVER takes more than a minute of charge when under 2.67volts but will accept another minute of charge after a short (1-2 second) disconnection. Just do it right.

3) Once you see that charging screen leave it plugged in to the charger (stop stack charging) for at least an hour before you try to start the PlayBook. If you don't you may end up in a situation where the attempt to start drags that battery back down below 2.67V and you have start stack charging again. Be patient, you are almost there!

4) Fully charge your Playbook after this to ensure your PlayBook gets back to 100%.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot RIM can do about this now. It's a hardware design issue. I'd be interested in knowing if the fixed it with the 4G versions. I don't think I've ever seen that complaint with one of those but I've "fixed" both of mine a few times (the kids keep trying to power them on after letting them shut down on low battery despite me saying time RUN not walk and put it on a rapid charger when ever it hits the flashing red battery signal (9%). I've also helped many friends and people on the web and NOBODY who has followed the instructions has failed to get their PlayBook to charge.

I'm convinced this fault is the reason so many PlayBooks are returned to the stores and through RMA. RIM has been very good about this but it should never have happened. Happy Charging!

The battery is likely below 2.65 volts. That happens if the PlayBook has sat for a while. Plug your charger into the playbook (make sure it's the stock charger and not a computer or other charger as you need to pump in lots of amps - more than 1.7amps - the more the better). The rapid charger is even better as it can go to 5 amps.

LEAVE the charger plugged into your PlayBook. Unplug it from the wall (to save the fragile micro-USB port) every minute for a few seconds and plug back in. You'll see lots of references on the web to plug in for 2 minutes and unplug for 2 minutes. Ignore those. I took the PlayBook apart and put a multimeter on mine when it was doing this. If the battery is below 2.65 volts, the PlayBook charging circuit charges for about 1 minute and then shuts down. NO AMOUNT of continued charging makes any difference. As soon as you unplug it (at the wall) and power it back up, it will take charge again for another 45-60 seconds. Repeat.

Keep doing that for as long as it takes to get the screen to show the charging display. If it is just below 2.65volts, it will take somewhere between 20-45 minutes as the battery only takes a little bit of charge each cycle and you need to get that voltage up over 2.65 volts (at which point it will show the charging display and take a full charge). It may take more... but keep at it. Every time you plug it in for 60 seconds, you are adding a bit more power to the battery.

DO NOT try to power the device on until the device has a full charge. You will just risk getting it into a situation where it can't fully boot before it drags the charge down below 2.65 volts again and you'll have to start all over.

This works... and saves you from having to jump start it like I did the first time I got mine into this situation.

----------------------

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

ankenn, Icarus3000 and Wasp14 like this.
    07-04-13 09:04 AM
    thx for the advice... I will give it a try but still confused and this is ridiculous design for a product
    I have tried to plug it in and then i get a red light followed by steady green and the blackberry log.
    Then i try to turn off and should I leave it just plugged in with no light at all ?

I don`t have time fo this and maybe it`s the final straw with me and RIM if I can't revive it.
    Last edited by jrmtl; 07-04-13 at 09:34 AM.
    07-04-13 09:16 AM
    Turn if OFF. Check that the screen is totally BLACK (no back light) in a dark room. Give it 4-6 hours.

And, yes, others have commented on the crazy logic of the charging circuitry - but we are stuck with it! I know I have other rechargeable items, tons, now and they can sit DEAD for weeks or months. Plug them in an they start charging.
    07-04-13 10:02 AM
    Turn if OFF. Check that the screen is totally BLACK (no back light) in a dark room. Give it 4-6 hours.

And, yes, others have commented on the crazy logic of the charging circuitry - but we are stuck with it! I know I have other rechargeable items, tons, now and they can sit DEAD for weeks or months. Plug them in an they start charging.
    Thx for your patience F2... for whatever reason I lost mine today
    Each time I plug in it tries to boot ( red then steady green and this you say is not good )

So now I have turned it off while plugged, no screen , no lights or anything and plugged to wall in with original charger that came with PB.
    So you are saying it will just revive this way ?
    07-04-13 10:16 AM
    Thx for your patience F2... for whatever reason I lost mine today
    Each time I plug in it tries to boot ( red then steady green and this you say is not good )

So now I have turned it off while plugged, no screen , no lights or anything and plugged to wall in with original charger that came with PB.
    So you are saying it will just revive this way ?
    You can hope that it will turn back on. The advice I posted is what others have suggested. Read the link to the knowledge base article.

How old? Warranty?
    07-04-13 10:37 AM
    it`s over 2 yrs old

You mean even though no lights and plugged it may revive ?
    07-04-13 10:42 AM
    it`s over 2 yrs old

You mean even though no lights and plugged it may revive ?
    Knowledge Base may shed light (or not):

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

You know, some have posted that rim has repaired beyond warranty but there is not guarantee.
    07-04-13 11:48 AM
    Unfortunately there are a lot of wrong ways to do this floating around out there and getting repeated everyone someone posts a new thread on the issue. It really should be made a sticky. What is the right way?

1) ...
    +1 to make this a sticky!
    07-04-13 11:54 AM
    no luck , i actually got 2 red pulsating lights when plugged in now.
    should I just leave it alone for a few days unplugged ?

Playbook for sale 1.95$
    07-04-13 12:43 PM
    no luck , i actually got 2 red pulsating lights when plugged in now.
    should I just leave it alone for a few days unplugged ?

Playbook for sale 1.95$
    I'm not sure what that means. You can try leaving it plugged in. Have you tried pressing the Power On button and HOLDING it for 20-30 seconds?

Or maybe it needs the OS reloaded? Take into dark room and make sure there is NO backlight.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    07-04-13 01:52 PM
    I'm not sure what that means. You can try leaving it plugged in. Have you tried pressing the Power On button and HOLDING it for 20-30 seconds?

Or maybe it needs the OS reloaded? Take into dark room and make sure there is NO backlight.

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

I seriously think it`s beyond repair at this point and i`m an optimist.

It doesn`t boot after plugging ( cuz of battery ) and hence it will not recognize the PB with desktop man. So I can`t do anything.
    I`m very frustrated with this piece of junk.
    raddn5 likes this.
    07-04-13 02:21 PM
    This Debrick process does not always depend on it being recognized for some purposes. The PB must be OFF. If there's any power it might trigger the Desktop software to offer the update/repair process.
    07-04-13 03:15 PM
    I've done those steps to no avail.

Do you think turned off all night and plugged will do anything ? Even with no lights
    Last edited by jrmtl; 07-04-13 at 04:36 PM.
    07-04-13 04:00 PM
    I have no idea. But it would not hurt to try. Or just leave it plugged in for a number of days and see if a real slow trickle charge occurs. What OS was on it before this happened? I recall reading that someone more or less abandoned their's plugged in and it eventually and surprisingly rebooted. Just make sure that it does not appear to be overheating if you are going to leave it alone for an extended trial.
    07-04-13 05:04 PM
    I have no idea. But it would not hurt to try. Or just leave it plugged in for a number of days and see if a real slow trickle charge occurs. What OS was on it before this happened? I recall reading that someone more or less abandoned their's plugged in and it eventually and surprisingly rebooted. Just make sure that it does not appear to be overheating if you are going to leave it alone for an extended trial.
    Thanks for all your help . But I've lost patience and jotted the piece of junk.
    07-04-13 06:12 PM
    Thanks for all your help . But I've lost patience and jotted the piece of junk.
    All these posts have been today. When the PB battery gets run way down it takes a little time to get brought back up. When you get two red flashes and a pause usually repeated it may mean that you need to upgrade the operating system. Since you can't get to wireless you would have to plug it in to the desktop Playbook software. You can search the Knowledge Base but here is a reference to the Toolkit which has a section on the Playbook.

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...?lang=1&id=223

Don't know what you mean by jotting it but you could give it to a local charity. But I suppose if you have sensitive info on it you would want to wipe it first.
    07-04-13 08:14 PM
    All these posts have been today. When the PB battery gets run way down it takes a little time to get brought back up. When you get two red flashes and a pause usually repeated it may mean that you need to upgrade the operating system. Since you can't get to wireless you would have to plug it in to the desktop Playbook software. You can search the Knowledge Base but here is a reference to the Toolkit which has a section on the Playbook.

BlackBerry

Don't know what you mean by jotting it but you could give it to a local charity. But I suppose if you have sensitive info on it you would want to wipe it first.
    I really meant , it`s a gonner. I pulled an office space moment and took it to the trash bin.
    07-05-13 06:59 AM
    Still did not get the battery charging symbol after 1 hour of REAL stack charging. Charging with the charger provided with the PB

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:46 PM
    I experienced this unfortunate incident after my playbook charging level dropped below 10 percent (one red flash, followed by five rapid intermittent yellow flashes). I tried stack charging and all else and it would not work. After several internet readings on this issue, I finally purchased a Blackberry Playbook Rapid Charging Dock/Stand from Amazon for approximately $15.00 and it worked very well. The playbook itself charged fully within 3 hours and it is back to its normal/full charge again. I have had no issues with charging the playbook since. I hope this helps!

Good luck.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-07-13 06:54 AM
    I guess i should try this method. Currently on micro usb charger supplied with PB.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:39 PM
    Hi iamAfza,

I was hesitant to purchase the rapid charger at first, but as mentioned, I am glad that I did. From my experience, the voltage inside of the regular Blackberry wall charger (that came with my playbook) was not sufficient and refused to emit a charge. This continued for several days. Nonetheless, if you are still interested, here is a link that will take you what I purchased. Please read the reviews if you remain uncertain.

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Charging Stand for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    FF22 and afzzainizzam like this.
    07-07-13 08:44 PM
    2bornot2be,
    Yeah, the stock charger provided with PB rated output at 5V, 750mA. I guess it just not enough for this scenario. Tried the Amazon link that you provide above but i won't sent it to my country. We continue looking or else buy it at CB. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:47 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD