This tale is gonna be fairly negative
    If that's a problem for you read no further.

Got my 32 gig playbook during the first clearance.
    Paid 250 Canadian basically just to have an Edsel.

I had never had a smartphone or tablet before and never been interested in them at all.

Many of my coworkers went to Rim between 2006 and 2009 so I was also interested to see what this company was taking such a very long time to bring to market.

Much to my surprise I really like the gesture based UI. As someone who has spent a lot of time thinking about UI's I saw a brilliantly simple and usable interface. Alas some bits just looked very stupid as if some c level exec had some helpful suggestions.

I started reading crackberry and soon became a member.

Found out about stack charging and the usb port that begs to be damaged.

Also learned about side loading and wiping.

I work with alpha quality software professionally so I don't want to deal with broken crap on my own time.

Six months after getting the playbook I got a galaxy nexus because I wanted everthing to work and to have access to a big ecosystem. The gn's performance has never been an issue and it has all the software I could ever want. the os and apps have received plenty of ota updates that make things better without making things worse. So I basically take the device for granted. On the other hand the screen and keyboard are too small for my aging eyes and fingers.

In August of this year I ordered a nexus 7 lte but cancelled the order when UPS could not deliver literally.

I have noticed that smartphones are getting bigger. At the time of writing the biggest available in Canada is from Sony. Its screen measures 6.4 inches and has top shelf specs across the board. If The trend continues I should be able to get a smartphone next summer with a screen approaching 7 inches that will replace both my playbook and smartphone. Maybe this is what Thorsten meant when he said the tablet did not have a future.

At this point my biggest gripes are the pathetic browser and the crackberry app that crashes daily.
    The playbook also occasionally reboots spontaniously but I don't care much.
    The things that I enjoy most about the playbook are reading books and listening to music on it. Would be much better if it was waterproof and the screen had some anti-fog treatment. My dream of reading in the tub would then be realized.

Also the built in Samba server is quite convenient.
    And Net Shares File Explorer can stream from my pc's.

If I could have just one thing it would be a decent web browsing experience.

As for Blackberr,y they are in a rapidly decaying orbit, but even if they survived I doubt I would buy anything from them again.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 12-11-13 at 11:10 PM.
    12-11-13 10:25 PM
    Ok.

Rant over?
    12-11-13 10:26 PM
    I am actually getting more encouraged of late.

I have no desire for a phablet, it is too large to carry as a primary device for me. That said, the playbook close by is an optional convenience. I need a phone I can carry everywhere that is portable, but that means small. User interaction with a small device is limited, so the playbook takes over there.

While it worked better with BB7 OS, BB10 is getting better. Most frustrating is that they already said that they stopped development for PB. Since then however I have seen two updates. One was PB software that improved remote control, the other is BBM software on my phone that allows messaging on the BB10 phone using the PB.

I think Phablets are a fad. Sure you "can" browse, watch movies, remote into work PC and so forth, but it really is not very efficient. Smaller screen, clumbsy controls, questional environment, etc. There is a reason people still go to the theater and buy big screen TV's you know.
    12-12-13 12:42 AM
    If I could have just one thing it would be a decent web browsing experience.
    Have you tried Origami Browser?
    It is a big improvement over the standard browser.
    Banco, mh1983, Carl Estes and 2 others like this.
    12-12-13 04:43 AM
    Have you tried Origami Browser?
    It is a big improvement over the standard browser.
    Origami (free) is good and so is Fast browser ($1-2). If you put them in turbo mode (disables flash and java), they are faster than Chrome on my Nexus 7 2012.
    Carl Estes, mh1983 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    12-12-13 08:09 AM
    I tried origami again and it does seem to work better than the native browser.
    Thanks for the push guys.
    Question: How do I close tabs?
    12-12-13 11:40 AM
    I tried origami again and it does seem to work better than the native browser.
    Thanks for the push guys.
    Question: How do I close tabs?
    Double tap the tab.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-12-13 11:51 AM

I think Phablets are a fad.
    last year a phablet was 5 inches or greater.
    Now 5 inches is a big but not huge phone.

I don't even like to put a 4 inch phone in the front pocket of my jeans. So I carry a small bag with me when I want to have a phone or tablet and sometimes I just don't take any device with me at all, which feels surprisingly liberating.
    12-12-13 12:00 PM
    Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy Mega? It's 6.8" or something ridiculous. It feels like crap to me (build quality) and looks outrageously oversized.

Posted via CB10
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    12-13-13 04:27 AM
    Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy Mega? It's 6.8" or something ridiculous. It feels like crap to me (build quality) and looks outrageously oversized.

Posted via CB10
    Actually it's 6.3".
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-13-13 11:08 AM

"Actually 6.3"
    See, I thought it was just me... I actually looked at one of those a couple months ago, and a friend of mine has one... if he didn't have it in an Otterbox, I would be afraid for it's life every moment... just feels flimsy.
    12-13-13 01:40 PM
    Is there any hope for a PlayBook 2.0?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:13 PM
    Is there any hope for a PlayBook 2.0?

Posted via CB10
    Approaching 0.
    I can explain why I think this if anyone actually cares. Yep didn't think so.
    12-14-13 04:23 PM
    I am interested, pls tell it.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:25 PM
    I am interested, pls tell it.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry's survival as a company is in Jeopardy. To survive they will likely have to scale down dramatically. This will likely include exiting the handset business because they can't make a competitive phone at a competitive price. I doubt they would even consider a tablet until they can get the phone issue sorted.
    I see some ignoble options if Blackberry tries to stay in the handset business. I see a rebadged HTC running a skinned android with a hub on top. And some people here will love it passionately.
    12-14-13 04:46 PM
    Sounds like a real future. Unfortunately.
    I still hope that they stay in the handset business, but a new tablet is sadly beyond reality.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:10 AM