@furballz
    Windows 8 works great if you don't insist on trying to force it to work like previous versions. I spent very little time adjusting to getting used to a new way of using windows and have discovered it's nothing like your perception of it. Interestingly enough the majority of tech reviewers are agreeing with me.

@bdegrande
    Nope, by all reports coming in so far people aren't having trouble knowing the difference prior to purchase. I've seen your opinion repeated a few times prior to release and the situation didn't pan out that way after all
    Nope, Windows expert/author Paul Thurrott thinks that this is a major problem for Microsoft. I have heard him say this many times including in person, including after Surface hit the market. Plenty of others have said similar things, so your "by all reports coming in" is clearly incorrect.
    11-03-12 11:57 AM
    Very useful in a rainy day.
    I found the XL kindle be the one most confortable when reading text, it doesn't feel like you're nuking your eyes in a super small screen.
    11-03-12 12:32 PM
    For Personal, not sure. but for companies, Surface is way to go. Native Office. There is no feature that PB can attract companies for business productivity
    11-03-12 02:22 PM
    The other day I was playing with my brother-in-laws I-Pad at his house during a family dinner.
    I have a Playbook as does my wife and daughter.
    I thought it was heavy, bulky, and not very user friendly....
    I love the Playbook and fully expect RIM to support it after BB10 is introduced......
    you cannot really compare 7 inch to 10 inch. Ipad mini is lighter and bigger screen. I doubt you can say IPAD is not user friendly lol.

But the reason PB is sold at big discount is there is no apps there,so basically you use it for online surfing. Whether the situation will change after BB10 is unseen, but if so, BB1000 doesn't matter for PB at least.
    11-03-12 02:28 PM
    As of right now, the PlayBook is dead.

With BB10, however, it will be way better than it ever was.
    11-03-12 02:32 PM
    Nope, Windows expert/author Paul Thurrott thinks that this is a major problem for Microsoft. I have heard him say this many times including in person, including after Surface hit the market. Plenty of others have said similar things, so your "by all reports coming in" is clearly incorrect.
    Sorry bud, you just picked the wrong guy to quote. Thurrott is at best, a completely out of touch guy with an opinion on the "interwebz". This is the 2nd time I've seen you say "Windows expert/author Paul Thurrott" here in the last 2 weeks. He's not. He's nothing but a blogger who wrote some PC help books (join the club of the other million dudes who write computer help books)

His credibility? SUCKS. One need do nothing more than read the hardware he admits to using for himself on his "what I use" section of his website. A Microsoft enthusiast who buys HP Pavillion desktop towers? You have GOT to be kidding me. The man owns a Vizio for his main HDTV. That's like being an automotive blogger and driving a Yugo Lada or whatever those throwaway Warsaw Pact cars were called

No offense to you personally but Thurrott? Seriously? lol come on. Hey I really do like MS products. I'm very excited and supportive of their line-up this year. That's an understatement actually... I think MS hit the ball completely out of the park by offering the very first touch tablets on the market that will run full touch friendly Windows 8 on them. But I still take everything Thurrott says with a block of salt.

edit: just so were clear here, I'm not waving a flag for the RT. I personally don't think it's good enough either. The main point I'm making in this particular post is the laughability of Paul Thurrott. HP Pavillion... Vizio... lol. Hey if you really want a good laugh go read his recent article about the HTC 8x
    What kind of hack writes crap like this in a smartphone review?
    The 8x is the best overall Windows Phone 8 handset. And the best smart phone, period.
    Let me just be clear here: There is the HTC Windows Phone 8X, and then there is everything else. And this handset isn’t just better than the Windows Phone competition. It’s better than all smart phones
    How can you possibly quote someone who says stuff like that and not be embarrassed!? Even if I didn't know who this guy was and read that article I'd be lmao.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 11-03-12 at 03:16 PM.
    11-03-12 03:02 PM
    The argument between the two posters about Skype has grown completely silent ever since that video was posted. I'm waiting for the rebuttal.
    11-03-12 03:24 PM
    Why would the Playbook be more dead with Windows 8 than with Android or iPad tablets? Android and Apple has the lion share of the market and not Microsoft.
    11-03-12 05:30 PM
    It is as dead after as it was before.
    It's not dead, it's just a little dormant because the PlayBook is waiting for BB10. Once BB10 is released to the BB PlayBook, it'll be as if it's given a new life and a total OS experience will be made available to all PB Users.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 06:03 PM
    It's not dead, it's just a little dormant because the PlayBook is waiting for BB10. Once BB10 is released to the BB PlayBook, it'll be as if it's given a new life and a total OS experience will be made available to all PB Users.

But isn't OS just part of user experience? Apps are more important in terms of experience. Windows 7 is much better than Vista, but if you only installed windows/office in your PC and no other third party softwares, do you really feel your end user experience improved ?
    11-03-12 07:47 PM
    The argument between the two posters about Skype has grown completely silent ever since that video was posted. I'm waiting for the rebuttal.
    shhh, rkennedy is pretending that he didn't see it.
    11-03-12 07:48 PM

Oh yes and we'll then find ourselves back to where we were 18 months ago with a whole new range of bugs and issues to sort out on a 2 year old platform that, by then, will be on life support.

Come on folks, wake up and smell the coffee. At best BB10 on the Playbook will just be another round of initial beta testing for RIM.

One other thing that Windows 8 has proven is that it's quite easy to spot a lot of these so called 'Tech Journo Experts' are not very skilled or experienced at all. In fact many have shown themselves up to be total amateurs with their ranty whines about how 8 is "unusable". I'm no tech expert but I found after 5 mins or so tweaking a few settings Windows 8 runs just the same as Windows 7 in most regards just with better performance (for me anyway). Give most average Windows users a 3 minute intro and they get on fine with it. I've rolled out half a dozen Windows 8 machines to ex. XP users and so far its been all positive.

A lot of tech sites and contributors have embarrassed themselves to be honest. Talk about peer pressure and jumping on the bandwagon.

Either that or they have just all got technically lazy being able to do all their "complicated" work on just an iPad.
    BlazorBoy and omniusovermind like this.
    11-04-12 07:08 AM

Somewhere over the rainbow...
    It would take a real Golden God to make that come true. Realistically I think the Win8 Pro Surface (coming early next year) will eat its lunch. I've enjoyed it, more or less, for a while now, but not really looking forward to its future.
    11-04-12 08:01 AM
    Oh yes and we'll then find ourselves back to where we were 18 months ago with a whole new range of bugs and issues to sort out on a 2 year old platform that, by then, will be on life support.

Come on folks, wake up and smell the coffee. At best BB10 on the Playbook will just be another round of initial beta testing for RIM.

Well, I admit RIM has committed a lot of blunder during the past, you know, the release of a half-baked PlayBook without even a native calendar and email app, it's failure to attract Devs, bugs and more. But I still do think that they're trying their best to make things right this time. They're currently enduring the humiliation as a result of the BB10 delay and they don't mind because they're trying to avoid past mistakes like releasing a buggy BB10 or an incomplete BB10. They're going back to the basics and try to make a good product this time. They know that apps are a major concern so they attract devs aggrassively.

Let's just wait for the BB10 to come. I am and I have faith that they will deliver this time considering that their major mistake has cost them a LOT. Imho, they will deliver when the times comes. I just put my faith in it.

RIM's a company that has crashed before and it hurt them a lot when it happened. I know that they know more than anyone what'll happen if they fail to deliver BB10 so I know that they won't, or at least I have faith that they won't.

11-05-12 08:47 AM

I'll say this about Blackberry fans, we can be just as passionate, stubborn, delusional, fanatical, and loyal (I'm not sure there is a difference in any of these words in this context) as any other platform out there:

Just wait till 30 days and you will see!
    Just wait till 60 days and you will see!
    Just wait till 120 days and you will see!
    Just wait till OS 1.5 and you will see!
    Just wait till OS 2.0 and you will see!
    Just wait till OS 2.1 and you will see!

and now....

Just wait till BB10 and you will see!

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2013 will bring; after all, just wait till BB11 and you will see!
    11-05-12 09:28 AM
    I just read that Microsoft's tablet uses up half of its storage space for the OS and related apps. Well, the 32GB does. The 64GB uses 18GB of storage space. The 32GB RT tablet will net the user 16GB of actual storage space.

Microsoft reveals how much of Surface RT's disc space is actually yours -- Engadget
    11-05-12 01:45 PM
    I just read that Microsoft's tablet uses up half of its storage space for the OS and related apps. Well, the 32GB does. The 64GB uses 18GB of storage space. The 32GB RT tablet will net the user 16GB of actual storage space.

Microsoft reveals how much of Surface RT's disc space is actually yours -- Engadget
    True, but you can put all your data on a memory card.
    11-05-12 03:41 PM
    True, but you can put all your data on a memory card.
    But 8GB just for the OS and it's programs on a mobile-centric tablet is a horribly inefficient system.
    11-05-12 04:55 PM
    But 8GB just for the OS and it's programs on a mobile-centric tablet is a horribly inefficient system.
    True but it includes a working native email, calendar and address book system as well as much much more. RIM might well take note.
    11-05-12 05:29 PM
    Well written, Duskao. You gotta have faith, PB will get better. I don't regret having made the $199/64gb investment. I'm looking down the road.
    11-05-12 07:08 PM
    What's the difference between that and a tablet that takes up less space but with no expandable memory? The difference is you have to (maybe, depending on your use. I still do just fine with a 16GB tablet) buy an SD card, That's a slight inconvenience when you factor in that many people will still be fine with the 16GB left over on the 32GB model, not a "horrible inefficiency". That's a horrible exaggeration
    BlazorBoy and daglesj like this.
    11-06-12 09:58 AM
    I think folks forget that Surface RT isnt purely a pumped up phone OS pushed over to a tablet. It's a bit more than that.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    11-06-12 11:15 AM
147 ... 456