silverlight might be gone as much as Flash is... whatever replaces, don't know. For now, it looks like just native.

Point is, MS has done a great job IMO. I can totally see it dominate the tablet/laptop hybrid market as it simply has covered all the basis of dumb-user needs! Unfortunately, the industry has grown based on the masses, and the common denominator is lack of greymatter so dumbing down, taking functionalities out, add-ons out, customization out, etc... is the only way to go to compete with Apple (which is the least flexible platform ever)!
    10-31-12 07:50 PM
    I have two Torch 9800s and two PB64. I like the equipment. That said I have found that:.
    RIM talks.
    RIM promises.
    RIM puts out buggy PB OS software.
    RIM is slow to squash bugs.
    RIM lets technology pass them while competitors compete and improve while the market is available.

We don't really know whether the Suface itself or third party tablets or RT or Pro versions will be the end-all, be-all that Microsoft claims but they do Market, and perceptions are influenced by Marketing.
    Yup
    10-31-12 07:52 PM
    silverlight might be gone as much as Flash is... whatever replaces, don't know. For now, it looks like just native.

Point is, MS has done a great job IMO. I can totally see it dominate the tablet/laptop hybrid market as it simply has covered all the basis of dumb-user needs! Unfortunately, the industry has grown based on the masses, and the common denominator is lack of greymatter so dumbing down, taking functionalities out, add-ons out, customization out, etc... is the only way to go to compete with Apple (which is the least flexible platform ever)!
    Agree. However Android is, depending on the manufacturer, extensively customisable, it is based off Linux after all and you can beat the customisation of that. The future seems to be written in a static environment though...
    10-31-12 07:57 PM
    surface is $500 tablet. surface is 10" tablet. surface is after ipad. surface has no apps. surface has poor reviews. playbook sales will not be affected at this point.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    kdeckels likes this.
    10-31-12 08:54 PM
    surface is $500 tablet. surface is 10" tablet. surface is after ipad. surface has no apps. surface has poor reviews. playbook sales will not be affected at this point.

I can just remove/replace Surface with Playbook above to make it true!

- No Apps? 100K =zero? How many did we have at Playbook launch? or iPad launch?
    - Poor reviews? Absolutely not, it's mostly positive, and the only complaint is from *advanced users* that complain they can't run their 3D Design Apps! Surface reviews are amazing compared to initial Playbook reviews
    - Sales (if there's any) won't be impacted, but RIM's position and support of a Tablet might...
    10-31-12 09:00 PM
    People still claiming flash will be totally out in a few years from now completely from laptop and PC, I really doubt that!! I would really like to make a serious bett with anyone, isn't happening, not everything is mobile and pc market isn't going anywhere, till that happen flash won't disappear. I just can't understand why people just hate it because they beloved iphones and ipads never had it! Is like hate for no reason, just because they can't take advantage of it (not because they choose to, but because they don't allow them ) well not everyone... Someone may turn the flash off on their playbook or PC, but at least you got the option to turn it on when you need it, not because you've been brainwashed. There still a few things html5 and others just can't do. If somehow anyone really would like to bett (10 years from now flash will still alive ) please send me a PM and let make it official
    esk369 likes this.
    10-31-12 09:20 PM
    Agreed to a point actually... but in general Flash is slow, and a bit behind for latest devices, I hope Adobe comes with an HTML5 replacement.

People still claiming flash will be totally out in a few years from now completely from laptop and PC, I really doubt that!! I would really like to make a serious bett with anyone, isn't happening, not everything is mobile and pc market isn't going anywhere, till that happen flash won't disappear. I just can't understand why people just hate it because they beloved iphones and ipads never had it! Is like hate for no reason, just because they can't take advantage of it (not because they choose to, but because they don't allow them ) well not everyone... Someone may turn the flash off on their playbook or PC, but at least you got the option to turn it on when you need it, not because you've been brainwashed. There still a few things html5 and others just can't do. If somehow anyone really would like to bett (10 years from now flash will still alive ) please send me a PM and let make it official
    11-01-12 02:23 AM
    The bad reviews are from idiots who got no clue how it works! Casual users use a laptop/table to do the following:

- Websites
    - Email/messaging/Skype
    - Music/Video
    - Play Angry Birds
    - Write a document or do Excel

RT does all of the above PERFECT. Plus it has Netflix, it has some pretty cool Apps (a lot more is needed but compare it to start of Playbook!). For instance, my parents/GF and many others I know got no other Applications that they use/run rather than above and RT is just fine for them. Honestly a full fledged Windows PC was probably too much for majority of users... we (on tech forums) are NOT the masses of Tablet/DUMB device customers!

For me, Pro would do, so I can run my Apps, Photoshop, Games, Torrents, etc...
    well then ANY tablet would suit them would it not?
    11-01-12 02:43 AM
    Ok, now you are just replying for sake of argument.
    None of these statements apply to the Playbook, now.

The MS Surface will effect the sales of the Playbook about as much as the Big Mac has. The two devices are barely competitors.
    esk369 likes this.
    11-01-12 04:47 AM
    For me RT will not replace the PB, but Pro will. I don't need bridge for I have a mifi. Friends at MS urged me to wait for the Pro and not get the RT.
    11-01-12 06:32 AM
    Windows 8 RT have "WOW" factors... not only one but more "WOWS" - WindOWS 8 RT...

And PlayBook will not be dead even after whatever comes after Surface... you cannot kill someone who is already dead... you have to make it alive again then that is time you can kill it again... in PlayBook case, it will be given life again by BB10 (I hope) before another tablet in the same category can kill it...
    kdeckels likes this.
    11-01-12 07:28 AM

- No Apps? 100K =zero? How many did we have at Playbook launch? or iPad launch?
    - Poor reviews? Absolutely not, it's mostly positive, and the only complaint is from *advanced users* that complain they can't run their 3D Design Apps! Surface reviews are amazing compared to initial Playbook reviews
    - Sales (if there's any) won't be impacted, but RIM's position and support of a Tablet might...
    100k ? I beg to differ. I have windows 8 and I do not see 1000 apps there let alone 100k.
    Good reviews. really ?

you call this good review ?

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/micr...-35332494.html

you call this good reviews ?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-surfa...up-7000006319/

11-01-12 08:32 AM
    Anyway, ninety percent of everything is crap so take away 90.000 out of 100.000 apps and you will end up with 10.000 useful apps.

I hope that this surface tab will succeed, because Microsoft was the first company who came up with the tablet concept. Alas they made the first tablet a la Microsoft, that is pure crap... ^^
    11-01-12 09:12 AM
    So you're telling me if I try to watch netflix or any other sites or video relying on silverlight I will get a silverlight error message on a windows 8 RT stock browser?
    There is a Netflix app for Windows RT, just like there is for Android and iOS. Silverlight is not needed.
    esk369 likes this.
    11-01-12 10:16 AM
    CNET and Zdnet basically one, and both are the WORST tech websites on the internet. Other reviews from Anandtech, Engadget, Verge, etc... are mostly positive. Nothing is perfect... again, how many Apps did iPhone have at launch? or Playbook?

It's actually ridicolous IMO to give a bad review to a device that doesn't have a lot of Apps on DAY-1 of a new platform launch?! Are you kidding me?
    Ofcourse it won't have as many Apps as iOS/Android. Playbook suffered the same... KEY IS, would this platform offer capabilities that others don't and are things in progress and getting better, clearly Windows 8 is just gonna get better and has amazing capabilities vs. iOS which is 5 years old and has static/dead icons vs. live tiles (or widgets in Android). iOS is seriously lacking functionality right now (BB10 will also be better), only saving grace for them is the ridicolous #of Apps!
    100k ? I beg to differ. I have windows 8 and I do not see 1000 apps there let alone 100k.
    Good reviews. really ?

Microsoft Surface RT Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Microsoft Surface RT: A review roundup | ZDNet

11-01-12 10:28 AM
    BB users should be the LEAST to complain about lack of Apps!

Honestly, I simply don't use/need as many. I got dozens of Apps on my iPad but 80% of my usage is on Safari browser and that's it.
    Anyway, ninety percent of everything is crap so take away 90.000 out of 100.000 apps and you will end up with 10.000 useful apps.

I hope that this surface tab will succeed, because Microsoft was the first company who came up with the tablet concept. Alas they made the first tablet a la Microsoft, that is pure crap... ^^
    11-01-12 10:30 AM
    RIM promised to upgrade PlayBooks to BB10 after the release of the phones
    I will believe this when I see it. As far as BlackForrest I am unsure of its size but suppose to be 128gb.
    esk369 likes this.
    11-01-12 10:31 AM
    Imo a BB10 NATIVE tablet would own anything microsoft has to through at them!!
    11-01-12 12:02 PM
    Good reviews. really ?

The CNET review you quote gives a final score/rating of 'very good' to the Surface RT.
    Perhaps you were confused?
    11-01-12 12:06 PM
    I had a go on a Surface RT tablet yesterday. It is a very nice piece of kit. Pretty impressive.

Good mobile device.

Maybe next year.
    11-01-12 12:12 PM
    Imo a BB10 NATIVE tablet would own anything microsoft has to through at them!!
    Yay and I look forward to BB10 and all the new bugs we'll have to wait to get fixed. That's if RIM doesn't dump us all the next week after its rolled out.

I'd rather put $10 on Surface going the distance than the Playbook ecosystem.
    11-01-12 12:14 PM
    As previously posted RT IE10 in metro and desktop does not support plug-ins. So, in the case of flash, there is a compatibility "whitelist" of sites that are flash-supported. So if the flash site is not listed it won't work. So no full desktop experience unless you get the Win8 Pro Surface that is still not released. Is there really 100000 apps for RT? I thought that was for Windows Phone 7. Apparently those will run in Windows Phone 8; apps for Windows Phone 8 won't necessarily run in WP7. But Windows Phone 8 apps won't run in RT. I guess due to the common NT kernel it is relatively easy to port apps between the platforms so maybe they will get to a respectable level in a short time frame. Pretty complicated if you ask me. I'd only buy the Surface if I needed full Office compatibility right now.
    11-01-12 12:14 PM
    Not really. I like Windows 8 and I like Android.

I feel like BB10 will bring morw life to the playbook. If its based on tiles like the phone then the gui may be like Win 8. RT is great but the Pro is what you really want.
    11-01-12 12:15 PM
    Well essentially everyone is missing the real target demographic of the Surface. It is primarily aimed at laptops and desktops. The future has spoken and traditional pc sales are in a dive. The average consumer will get this. As far as straight tablets the market has not settled yet despite the ipad. The Playbook cab make it if RIM does the right thing with it, bug will they?

Ok, now you are just replying for sake of argument.
    None of these statements apply to the Playbook, now.

The MS Surface will effect the sales of the Playbook about as much as the Big Mac has. The two devices are barely competitors.
    11-01-12 12:15 PM
    Good reviews. really ?

Microsoft Surface RT: A review roundup | ZDNet

I don't know a darn thing first hand about the RT because i have personally not toyed around with it but those are certainly good reviews. You might wanna take a look at the overall editor and user ratings on the links you posted
    Last edited by shupor; 11-01-12 at 01:58 PM.
    LadyRapunzel likes this.
    11-01-12 01:26 PM
147 1234 ...