I ve been using the playbook from the time it has been launched and i love it absolutely, so does my 3 yr old son. I have not had any problems before but when i upgraded to the os 2 beta suddenly my camera stopped working, and no matter how many ever security wipes and installs later the camera seems to be fried. It say the camera is being used by another application and is blank. Anyway since i do not use the camera a lot it did not affect me a lot though i love the camera. I have updated to the latest os and still the camera problem still persists.Two days ago my son was using the playbook and he happened to drain the battery that it shut down. I was not around and so my wife did not bother to plug it in as well. The playbook lay there for 2 days and when i tried to charge it later it just wouldnt charge. Finally i had to connect it to my desktop and reinstall the os through desktop manager.

This incident has happened to my friends playbook before and i had to resort to the same method to get it back up... and my friend has got it drained a second time as well and right now the playbook is not even being recognized by the desktop manager. I hoped this would be resolved in the os2 seems it aint. Very dissapointed that it aint cause i am sure somewhere down the line my playbook is going to get fully drained because of my son. The thought of totally bricking my pb makes me sad.... sighhh... frustrated.... sorry guys had to vent this somewhere. i hope rim comes up with something to get this problem fixed.
    03-05-12 02:46 AM
    From what I've read previously, you should let it charge at least for a night (8-10 hours) with the wall charger (the yellow connector one) without any solicitation. Then, the debrick method should work, if needed.
    (edit: you'll find debrick method at the end of post #11 in this thread : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estart-706178/)
    I hope Peter is around and can help better ... so kinda bump to his attention.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-05-12 at 03:46 AM.
    03-05-12 03:10 AM
    Thanks superfly i have tried that... currently i am trying that again.. lets hope this time it works... its just frustrating cause you loose all you data.. i know i can back it up with deskptop but still its a needless hassle. i mean we expect electronic equipment to totally discharge at some point of time and when we plug it back in it should recharge not ask us to reload the os. Neways.. i am sure rim is doin something to solve it.... i am the optimistic kind... RIM rocks.... lol.... cant wait for bb10...
    03-05-12 04:31 AM
    Strange thread... OP says he "loves" his tablet but is angry that it totally bricked due to something that shouldn't brick it. Then he praises RIM and says he can't wait for their next product? I sense an odd streak of masochism. And I can understand loving a human or even a pet but how can one "love" a small computing device? Why would you even want to?
    bbfan1040 and Willard814 like this.
    03-05-12 04:54 AM
    I am returning my playbook...Had been a wonderful 5 days of use ....But not turning on is messy problem..
    03-05-12 05:04 AM
    Hopefully simple solution. Just plug in charger that came with unit. If that doesn't work, use three button turn off. Volume left & right buttons and on button all together. Hold for up to 30 seconds until red light goes on & off.
    Your Playbook hasn't died (hopefully).
    03-05-12 05:57 AM
    This happened to me once due to MY OWN FAULT. I charged it with the wall charger for 8 hours and then held the on button, volume increase button and volume decrease button all together for about 30 seconds. My baby was back up and running. Nothing lost.

Good luck!
    03-05-12 06:11 AM
    How about the plug in for 20 seconds and unplug for 20 seconds(repeat several times) routine. That is supposed to get enough juice in the battery to allow the charging to continue.
    The OS has to monitor the charge so no harm comes to the battery. For this you need enough power for that part of the OS to run.
    03-05-12 06:58 AM
    I've drained my PB completely a few times. Each time I just plug it in to the original charger, leave it for half an hour or so then turn it on...
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-05-12 07:04 AM
    I've drained my PB completely a few times. Each time I just plug it in to the original charger, leave it for half an hour or so then turn it on...
    That has been my experience the 3-4 times I let it go until it shut down.
    03-05-12 07:07 AM
    This worked for me as well... the first time I drained the battery I freaked out but reading about it in the forums here helped. I haven't had it fully drain since I updated to the non-beta 2.0. I've used both the included wall charger and a regular blackberry charger (takes longer) to get some juice back into the playbook. After about 15-20 mins I'd just turn it on and let it fully charge (wifi off to be faster) since everything I've read says the PB cannot charge if turned off.
    03-05-12 07:39 AM
    Strange thread... OP says he "loves" his tablet but is angry that it totally bricked due to something that shouldn't brick it. Then he praises RIM and says he can't wait for their next product? I sense an odd streak of masochism. And I can understand loving a human or even a pet but how can one "love" a small computing device? Why would you even want to?
    If you don't have a strong affinity for the device you use, you have the wrong one or forum.

OP, just plug it into the regular charger, as many have suggested.
    03-05-12 08:04 AM
    I've drained mine completely a few times(per peters request to readjust battery health readings). Simply set it on the rapid charging stand for a few hours and its good to go. Never have had an issue where it wouldn't turn back on or have to reload the OS to get it to work(debrick).

Some people have the oddest issues with the PB, not saying the OP's complaint isnt legit, its just odd how some people have these odd issues while the vast majority do not.
    03-05-12 08:23 AM
    If you don't have a strong affinity for the device you use, you have the wrong one or forum.

OP, just plug it into the regular charger, as many have suggested.
    Thank You Wulf... and yes i love my pb and i love rim as well... i agree there are a few things they can do better but i am sure they are reaching there... @ furball y wldnt i love my pb.... even if it is an inanimate object... it does watever i want it to as a tab and much more... and i am not angry .... just frustrated.... there is a difference u know.....
    03-05-12 08:30 AM
    since everything I've read says the PB cannot charge if turned off.
    That was the case when the PB was first released. After an early update they added the ability to charge while turned off. Well I guess that depends on the definition of turned off. There is some process running when you get the pulsing green light(charging while off).
    Vector-SS likes this.
    03-05-12 08:30 AM
    You can always rely on crackberry for help on what the topic is really about! A+
    03-05-12 08:52 AM
    Have you tried saying "NO. Keep off it please, it's not a toy", to your son?
    03-05-12 09:25 AM
    That's not really the point. The device should be able to gracefully run out of power and be able to turn on again once charged. I do recall running my 9650 completely dry while hiking with the gps running. It took at least half an hour on the charger before it showed any signs of life but it did come back. The pb may be like that. But, again, "accidents" happen which might draw down its power (child or adult) and it should recover after being placed on a charger. Now maybe the OP did not give it appropriate recharge or time to turn on/off using the power button.
    03-05-12 10:11 AM
    Trust me i have tried.... ..... he makes those eyes like the puss in shrek that you are forced to give it to him. Moreover he has an allotted amount of time for playing with the playbook or the iphone. The best part is he prefers the playbook better than the iphone and ipad.. Guess he knows a good thing when he sees it.
    03-05-12 10:43 AM
    Hi there, in my case what I do is activate the desktop manager and then plug the PB, in a couple of minutes the red led comes alive letting me know she is back. I then turn the PB on holding the switch down, it has worked every time, I hope it works for you too, good luck.
    03-05-12 11:15 AM
    That was the case when the PB was first released. After an early update they added the ability to charge while turned off. Well I guess that depends on the definition of turned off. There is some process running when you get the pulsing green light(charging while off).
    Technically it's not really off, as you note. What happens is that once it detects the presence of power, it boots itself up into a special charging mode where part of the OS is running but the screen isn't on. Just enough code to handle the charging.

I don't have details, but among other things it explains the difference in timing for certain things (screen on, spotlight animation, and home page appearing) when you "turn it on" (i.e. press the power button) while it's in charging mode.

I think it takes about 45s to get from fully off to the point where it is actively charging in that mode (which I assume is when the green light is actually pulsing, not merely when it appears solid for the first time).

If you press the power button at that point, the BlackBerry PlayBook logo appears immediately, spotlights within seconds later, and the time till the home page appears is about 2 minutes, so the total roughly corresponds to the regular boot time from a truly powered off state (which is almost 3 minutes under 2.0).
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-05-12 11:53 AM
    I regularly drain mine down, I use it while working and travelling and sometimes I am not close to a charger for several hours, it has never, repeat never just come back after putting it on the charger for a few minutes.
    03-05-12 12:29 PM
    update - i just tried to debrick again after about 12 hrs plus on charge.... no go!!! still very much dead... no blinkning of led too at the time of recharge, sigh any ideas guys??
    03-05-12 01:28 PM
    I am returning my playbook...Had been a wonderful 5 days of use ....But not turning on is messy problem..
    Is your post meant to imply that this happened to you, or are you interpreting one person's reported problem as afflicting all PlayBooks? 'Cause if you read the thread, you will see that this is not the case; this poor fellow's problem is relatively unique.
    03-05-12 02:05 PM
    update - i just tried to debrick again after about 12 hrs plus on charge.... no go!!! still very much dead... no blinkning of led too at the time of recharge, sigh any ideas guys??
    Call RIM??
    03-05-12 02:07 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD