I tried the Magellan app over the weekend and it does work just fine for me. I have it tethered to my Torch. It also gives you your current speed. Accuracy was just about perfect.
    +1 for this app. i tether it with a 9700. the interface looks nice and the gps locks quickly. it gives u and actual addresss instead of quardinates, and even weather conditions at ur current and destination location. i've had some issues with it not saving previous addresses somethimes, but i contacted the developer about this and theyre looking into it. if they add voice commands, and add change the way u have to center the map on ur current location just to say "start from here", ill be a very happy camper.

also, word to the wise, i've found that having mutiple gps apps mess each up however. theyre have been times when i fired up poynt got a lock, and magellen isnt able to lock afterwards, and viceversa. bing is even worse. a restart is usually required to fix these hiccups.

as fas a mount, u can rig the hard shell from the convertible case, for example, to one of those air vent holders for some other device. that way, ull have access to all the port....nice project is someone has the time and creativity for it
    06-20-11 05:22 PM
    That does not sound very promising. So they have given up trying to release it for the Playbook? Disappointing. Maybe I could send an email, too. I did not see a contact - do you have an email for them?
    Ultimate Maps has long been an application for Blackberry phones, and its british developper Aztux Ltd (Gareth Owen), indeed has a website separate from the blackberry market: Aztux Ltd - Mobile applications
    The contact mail is at the very bottom of the site ("support, at, aztux.com")
    I for one would readily pay 10 times the cost for such an application on the Playbook...
    06-21-11 03:07 AM
    Finally got around to sending them an email hoping that they would work toward releasing an app for the pb.
    Herve5 likes this.
    06-23-11 01:28 PM
    Finally got around to sending them an email hoping that they would work toward releasing an app for the pb.
    Cool!
    I recontacted them too, and they told me they'll try again the (apparently messy) "signing and submitting" process...
    H.
    Last edited by Herve5; 06-24-11 at 10:08 AM.
    06-24-11 09:39 AM
    The gps on the playbook is a true gps, where it needs to have a line of sight with at least three global positioning satellites in order to give the playbook's exact location. It doesn't work like cellphones. My bold 9000 has the same gps in it and I can manually find my gps location and it also tells me how many satellites locked on to determine my position.

But google maps for my BB, doesn't use the gps in the app. It uses the radio antenna to determine my position and thats why it works anywhere your phone can get a signal, including inside. The bing maps app is the same and will not work without a 3g connection.

If you don't think your gps is working, download MapApp for free and take it outside where you have a reasonable view of the sky and hit the gps icon and within 10 to 20 seconds you will have your gps location. There are usually at least 8 gps satellites that will be able to see any given location on earth at any given time.
    niazdokrat likes this.
    06-24-11 10:51 AM
    Most of what Schlymer says is perfectly correct, except that 10-20s is by no means sufficient all the time. If you've used your GPS very recently, then it may supply a position reading within that time, or it may not. If it's been a while, however, you may have to wait several minutes. (Yes, still, even with v1.0.5.)

It's also essential to understand that atmospheric conditions play a big role in whether you get a reading at all and, if you do, how accurate it is. Wet/rainy or very cloudy days can reduce the signal strength significantly.

Lastly, note that the antenna is in the lower-right corner when the unit is held in the default orientation, and covering that even partially with your hand can interfere with or completely block the signal enough to entirely prevent position determination.
    Last edited by peter9477; 06-24-11 at 11:05 AM. Reason: clarify "atmospheric conditions" part
    06-24-11 11:04 AM
    true gps or crippled one?
    My 3G iPad 1 without sim card and very old Garmin 60csx has way better receiving than PB
    06-24-11 11:49 AM
    Navigon makes full downloadbale maps for the iPhone so it doesn;t need data to pull the maps using data.

Maybe try to hit them up to make thier service/maps fully downloadable for the PB?
    06-24-11 02:28 PM
    If you have unlimited internet , you can use samsung galaxy tab as GPS:

Does anybody try BP google GPS?
    06-30-11 02:32 PM
    Well... i was hoping to hear some smart advice from you guys (i like receiving more than giving in this case), but sadly for me I might be ahead of you.

TREKBUDDY
    - is the name of the app. search the developers homepage for it.
    MOBILE ATLAS CREATOR
    - is the name of the software that will allow you to download sections of open street-maps to your PC (copy them to PB later).

For the real smarties out there, here's a tip: older versions of Mobile Atlas Creator were able to access more sources. It was forced to cut its limbs off because some users were downloading the whole world at max resolution. You will find it if you really want to.

Please don't download the whole world at the highest possible resolution from any source. It's stupid and damaging for others.
    05-17-12 09:18 PM
    Magellan seems to be working great for me. I got a suction cup mount windshield, and it has passed initial testing. We shall see how it works long term, and once I really dig into what it can (and cannot) do.

I am interested in exploring using my touchscreen on my 9810 as a remote control.

and to cut and paste from my post in the Magellan thread:

Add a bluetooth handsfree speakerphone option. If the Playbook is on the dashboard and tethered to the phone, it makes sense to be able to answer the phone on it.

add rear (of playbook) camera recording with a cached loop of memory, so if turned on, driver could hit "save" if there was something important that happened on the road in front of them, and have a video of it. If not it lust keeps re-recording over the same spot in memory, so it doesn't hog a lot.
    07-07-12 11:20 AM
    07-07-12 11:45 AM
    I use Wisepilot Navigation (sideload). The GPS and this program on my Playbook work great. I use it all the time when traveling. The Playbook GPS does work! Google Maps and Osmand sort of work but keep crashing. Not the Playbooks fault. Magellan Compass works- for what it is.

As for mounts, go here:

Tablet Mounts-ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

Good luck!
    07-07-12 12:41 PM
    My dad travels alot for work, he wouldve bought a Playbook in a heartbeat if it had a good Navigator app which could replace his galaxy nexus. He said the screen size is perfect for navigating, just needs to purchase a car mount and bam! He wouldve been sold. Unfortunately there still isnt a navigator app yet made for the playbook, paid or free and that sucks.
    07-07-12 10:27 PM
    Yep, would have been great if the PB had been introduced from the start with a working turn by turn gps navigation system like Garmin, TomTom, or even BlackBerry Traffic. Maybe not a game changer, but would have sold a lot more units to those who want to get rid of their stand alone gps devices and use the PB instead which goes everywhere with them.
    07-07-12 10:50 PM
    Hardware is there, software is still not there, if it will ever be given RIM's history. I would love to have preloaded maps that we can download and use as Nav while playing music at the same time.
    I use The Magellan Compas app and play music simutaneously with no issues. When the turn by turn comes on while the music is playing I can still understand what they are saying. Its not that bad drowned out by the music....
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-07-12 11:15 PM
    Soooooo, no GPS then?

I haver no Internet service andar i need to Google on a big trip...

Can i use that Magellan app?
    07-08-12 03:44 PM
    The Magellan will work if you have already cached maps. It is free and easy to do. It is working well for me so far. $11.00 windshield mount working great so far. Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for 7-Inch Tablets: Electronics
    07-08-12 04:03 PM
    And those maps are easily dlld ?

Or do i have to take that trip first? Lol
    07-08-12 04:50 PM
    The GPS in the Playbook will not work as a "garmin replacement."

It will tell you where you are at the moment but that's about it. It does not do that for some people.

RIM has not said when the GPS will have this kind of functionality, if it ever will.

Orly?!
    LOL

07-08-12 06:05 PM
    Paladinleeds:

So far BRIDGE does not work for the gps. So out in the field, the best you can get is your lat/long and maybe speed from the free Compass app. I don't know what the Magellan app does.

Just found a quote on a review of Magellan:

"VERY dissapointed save your $$$$. this does not work unless you have wifi (even if your tethered and bridged). no help or menu.... i mean come on.... basics people...."
    I have the Magellan app. It has a 49 Page pdf help/instruction booklet that is accessed by scroll down from top, 2nd icon from right.
    07-08-12 08:03 PM
    How did u do that??
    07-09-12 01:18 PM
    I use Wisepilot Navigation (sideload). The GPS and this program on my Playbook work great. I use it all the time when traveling. The Playbook GPS does work! Google Maps and Osmand sort of work but keep crashing. Not the Playbooks fault. Magellan Compass works- for what it is.

As for mounts, go here:

Tablet Mounts-ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

Good luck!
    Does Wisepilot need a data connection or is it offline maps?
    07-09-12 01:40 PM
    And those maps are easily dlld ?

Or do i have to take that trip first? Lol
    You can sit anywhere you have wifi and pull up any maps you want and cache them by street, block, neighborhood, city, or region. You can go into settings and increase or decrease amount of memory available for cache.
    07-09-12 04:04 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD