http://lifehacker.com/gruveo-offers-...-ins-711136764

Flash based video chat service. Someone please confirm that this works. I'm at work without a PlayBook lol

Posted via CB10
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-09-13 08:11 AM
    Since ipad's don't do flash (or do they were optional other apps?), it would not be cross-platform would it?
    07-09-13 09:12 AM
    Since ipad's don't do flash (or do they were optional other apps?), it would not be cross-platform would it?
    Nope, it won't.
    07-09-13 11:06 AM
    Not natively, but aren't there flash-capable iOS browsers available in the app store?
    07-09-13 11:53 AM
    seems like it only supports desktops/laptops for now. I tried it on my playbook and z10, but the call buttons don't light up for me like they do on my laptop.
    07-09-13 12:03 PM
    Not natively, but aren't there flash-capable iOS browsers available in the app store?
    I think so but really don't know for sure.
    07-09-13 03:56 PM
    There is also Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow a subscription based service.
    There is also AV by AOL - Let's video chat! a subscription-LESS service.

Here is a Flash capable browser for "i" products. Puffin Web Browser - The fastest mobile browswer with Flash support over cloud on iPad, iPhone and Android.
    07-09-13 04:02 PM
    seems like it only supports desktops/laptops for now. I tried it on my playbook and z10, but the call buttons don't light up for me like they do on my laptop.
    The "buttons" don't even light up on my desktop computer. And I've tried in both Simple Browser+ and the Native browser and neither of them shows any signs of life in this app.
    07-09-13 04:05 PM
    hmmn looks similar to the ephone comwave app in that it needs access to camera and microphone. I accepted on my laptop but no permissions popped up in the playbook browser (they do when i go to ephone on the playbook app)

faceflow may be the easiest to use but i am not sure about the encryption
    07-09-13 04:24 PM
    I have been speaking with the folks at Gruveo about the Playbook and they have been kind enough to do a little research. The service uses Adobe Flash and is compatible with the Air Browser. They sent me a link to a new version they were working on and it works with the Playbook. They have now up dated their website with the version. You can now use Gruveo on the Playbook and connect to other computers. In my tests with the website the sound and video quality were excellent. Nice find.
    07-11-13 01:04 PM
    Do not try testing it between two pb's or two of any type of devices that are lying side-by-side. As any such side-by-side use in any chat app would create feedback! At least, move them to separate rooms or as suggested below, use headphones in one or both units.

I guess something is amiss with Flash on my Vista64 desktop.

edited: to clarify issues
    Last edited by F2; 07-12-13 at 05:13 PM.
    07-11-13 02:47 PM
    Hello everyone, Gruveo developers here. Thanks to Kobofan, we indeed have been able to nail the issue and make Gruveo work with PlayBook. Everyone is welcome to check it out at https://www.gruveo.com. It's important that you clear your device's browser cache first.

It does appear to work although using two side-by-side pb's creates a lot of feedback!
    Right, that's because unfortunately, acoustic echo cancellation is not available to Flash on PlayBook.

I guess something is amiss with Flash on my Vista64 destkop.
    Have you tried clearing your desktop browser's cache? The latest Gruveo update might have fixed that, too.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-12-13 02:27 AM
    There is only one universally accepted cross platform vc service and it's called Skype. For all the politics Skype is second only to the hardware dependant services like Facetime and Videochat.
    Nice try guys, but I am embarrassed to ask my family to try yet another slow insecure echo-laden service, and Blackberry refused to make Skype work on Playbook so it's going to be another tablet for me come Christmas.
    RS_Ford likes this.
    07-12-13 02:40 AM
    There is only one universally accepted cross platform vc service and it's called Skype. For all the politics Skype is second only to the hardware dependant services like Facetime and Videochat.
    Nice try guys, but I am embarrassed to ask my family to try yet another slow insecure echo-laden service, and Blackberry refused to make Skype work on Playbook so it's going to be another tablet for me come Christmas.
    So did you try it? Gruveo that is. Why not just buy your family all a Playbook. There super cheap these days. I bought my folks one and so far so good for the Sunday video calls.

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    07-12-13 03:02 AM
    Don't need to try it. Just read the review in this thread. The other family playbooks failed and were refunded so there's only mine left. Never ever buy another blackberry product.
    07-12-13 03:27 AM
    Don't need to try it. Just read the review in this thread. The other family playbooks failed and were refunded so there's only mine left. Never ever buy another blackberry product.
    No, you may have misread my reply. I had the two pb's in my lap. That led to the audio feedback. They were "processing" each other's sound over and over. I did not try it with my pb in another room or with another device.

And I have been having all kinds of Flash issues with Vista - something to the effect that it is not supported on "your" platform. If I install the newest, youtube does not work on my system.

So, give it a try. They are not installing anything on your system - it is a website. Now, as for security, that I know nothing about! They could be listening along with the NSA and the post-soviets and the Chinese. Everyone is listening!
    07-12-13 09:12 AM
    I had a similar experience between my son's and my playbooks. Ear buds on my Playbook immediately broke the feedback loop and the sound quality was fine.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-12-13 02:00 PM