so the last few days, my playbook has been crashing. I don't mean individual apps, rather, the entire OS crashes. At times i have been using apps such as, music player, browser, app world or any other apps. When it 'crashes' the screen just goes black as if it is completely turned off. Believe it or not, as i am typing this, my playbook was hooked up to my laptop and it crashed again. No apps were running this time.

Usually when the crash occurs, i only have one program open so i don't think this can be a memory issue.

The only way to bring the playbook back to life is to hook it up to the laptop, or plug it into the wall charger. When i do that, the red light comes on and after a few minutes it turns green. This is followed by the playbook automatically rebooting itself.

While at first, i thought it might be a battery issue, but i don't think thats the case. its happened in instances where its been fully charged and when it happened a few mins ago, i had just charged it in the afternoon.

Is anyone else experiencing this? what are my options? should i just do a complete wipe?

mods: please move this to the tablet OS section, if you deem appropriate. I didn't know where to place this.
    Last edited by jimbob4321; 03-15-12 at 08:59 PM.
    03-15-12 08:52 PM
    That doesn't sound normal. You should call RIM and see if you can get an exchange...
    03-15-12 09:03 PM
    I was have been experiencing apps of all different kinds crashing and the OS freaking out and opening and closing random apps yesterday, requiring a reboot, but I have yet to experience a total OS crash. I am not very knowledgeable but I'm sure someone else will chime in as to what to do.
    03-15-12 09:05 PM
    Sorry you're having these problems. I've been lucky and haven't experienced this. I don't have anything helpful to add unfortunately. Hopefully someone who does will respond soon.
    03-15-12 09:05 PM
    well .. the thing i got this last year .. right when it came out.. i think at the end of APril. I think i might be out of warranty? unless i am wrong in this assumption.

this 'problem' has been happening with some degree of frequency in the last couple of days only. Just getting a little frustrating as i can't use the damn thing.
    03-15-12 09:06 PM
    ONE YEAR warranty so you should have another month.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    03-15-12 09:23 PM
    ONE YEAR warranty so you should have another month.

Rim Support
    Tel:

Playbook French Support

thanks... guess its time to call customer support
    03-15-12 09:25 PM
    My 64gb PB that I got from the shopblackberry website was crashing and freezing multiple times yesterday. I was very surprised actually. I left an Android app running and the PB had gone into Standby. After an hour or so, I swiped to wake the screen up. I then started to use BlackBerry Bridge to browse the web but it just froze and became unresponsive. After a reboot, I thought all was good and proceeded to connect the PB to my laptop. The laptop would not recognize the PB. I then unplugged the PB from the laptop. I checked the settings menu and noticed that my Total Storage was listing at 0 bytes. Talk about weird. I went on testing and found that media services were unavailable and that it told me to restart the tablet. So i rebooted again. It seemed to take forever to reboot. Almost in a colorful start-up loop. Had to reboot again while it went through the multiple colors during start-up.... After many reboots, my PB seems to be almost back to normal. I may need to call customer support in the future if it ever continues to crash.

Posting from my bridged PB.
    03-15-12 10:15 PM
    Definitely sounds like you should call RIM. If a debrick doesn't solve this, it may be a hardware issue as far as I know.
    03-15-12 10:38 PM
    update ----

so i called RIM support. Was on the phone with them for over an hour. No, I wasn't on hold, was talking to a live Rep. I have to give Kudos to the Rep in that he had the patience and the willingness to help me, rather than just tell me to restart and that should fix the problem.

Now onto the important part.

While explaining the problem to Rep, he seemed confused as he had not heard of the OS crashing. He was familiar with apps crashing, various programs behaving in an 'odd' manner, freezing issues - but this was his first call re: OS Crash (somehow i feel special :P )

So he had me connect the playbook to the desktop manager and use the debrick method to try and force a complete new OS download. Here's where things went from weird to outright confusing. every time i would power down the playbook and then plug it in for the desktop manager to detect and Repair, the playbook would automatically start rebooting. This happened a few time. Initially, he thought that i may not have fully shut down the playbook and even i though that i messed up. After trying that for a few times, it would reboot without fail. While the playbook was shut down, i briefly once had the message pop up for 'repair' but before i could comprehend what happened, the playbook started rebooting. So that didn't work. It was confusing to rep that I got the message only once, considering the amount of times the device rebooted.

Next we tried to press the vol + and - button, along with the power button, in an attempt to download the new 'OS'. We tried it in a few combination of having the playbook connected to the desktop manager and a few times when it wasn't connected. Each time, it would restart as soon as it was connected via usb to the laptop / desktop manager. Even the rep found this really really odd. (let me just say, i wish the power button was lifted a bit. Min'es flush and it was a bit of a challenge, but i digress).

This was followed by trying to the Rep recommending that i hold the power button and the vol - button only. Once again, we had the same result, in that the playbook would restart. I never got back to option of trying to repair the playbook by downloading the entire OS.

The next thing that was recommended was to do a 'security wipe' on the device. Luckily i had backed up the device today (*** see below on the desktop manager issue). Once i started the process of security wipe, instead of just wiping the device clean, it proceeded to download files which were around 340 - ish MB. Even the rep commented that this was odd as its downloading the entire OS files, which it shouldn't. ANyways, at this point the Rep stated that it would take a while for it to down load the entire files and install it. I was glad he said that, as i was just tried of holding my cell phone of this long.

He stated that he would call me back tomorrow to see how the playbook is working, and has left the ticket open. Let me just say, I was impressed by RIM's support especially after all the horror stories that we have all read on the forum. If this doesn't resolve the issue, i may have to send my device in. I am kinda concerned as i don't want a partially working device once its out of warranty. So i need to stay on top of this.

Desktop Manager issue: now here's another odd part of the entire endeavour. While speaking to the Rep, i explained to him that i have never been able to back up my device until today. Every time i would connect the PB to DM, it would recognize the device but would not 'connect'. Thank God for being able to do a wi-fi drop to transfer music, as i couldn't sync the damn thing.

The times that it connected, it would not allow me to back up. Every time i would press backup, it would try to do a diagnostic and then give a message saying that the device cannot be backed up. I wasn't really all that concerned as i didn't have anything on the PB, which wasn't already on my laptop or backed up somewhere. Then out of the blue, today was the first day that it connected and allowed me to back up.

This is where things stand at the moment. Lets see how this plays out.

Thanks a ton for the helpful advice. I promise to do my due diligence and update this, in the event that someone else goes through a similar issue down the road.
    03-15-12 11:08 PM
    After upgrading from Beta OS2 to the new OS2, my Playbook became much less reliable. The Andoid Kindle would often crash (just hang). Sometime, when powering up or rebooting, the Playbook would just keep swirling the pretty blobs forever--after 30 minutes or so, I'd do a hard reboot and try again. I finally did a security wipe and complete reinstall of the OS (backed up and restored apps, which worked for the QNX apps but not Android apps). This seems to have gotten rid of the problems described (a few others remain).
    03-16-12 12:34 AM
    I have had my pb since Jan with little trouble, I have been very happy with it. Till today. 3 times in the last 45 mins it has crashed. The screen has gone dark with no warning. I have had to push and hold the power button several times to get it to power off and on. Totally annoyed!
    I haven't changed any thing or downloaded anything. Haven't even had time to use it since Sat.
    I'm tech savvy enough to understand dingleberry or sideloading or debriefing. Not sure what go do with it if this continues
    03-19-12 09:58 PM
    What app were you running and what apps were in the background?

You might call tech support

Rim Support
    Tel:

Playbook French Support
    03-19-12 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD