Hi,

I am going to order my 32GB PlayBook and I would like a case to go with it. I quite like the convertible case because it looks like it makes watching movies, typing, and general holding nice and easy.

However, the review stated that the power buttom and volume buttons are too difficult to press? Is this the case?

I'm not too concerned about the power button as I think I'd just swipe the bezel rather than switching off the device. However, I would use the volume buttons and if these are difficult to use with this case then I feel maybe I should find another case?

Thank you!
    12-27-11 06:03 AM
    The buttons work just fine but you do need to press a bit harder than you normally would if the PB was naked. MMMMmmmm..... naked PB.
    12-27-11 06:06 AM
    That's not damaging to the PlayBook is it? Pressing harder than normal?
    Thanks!
    12-27-11 06:23 AM
    No. You aren't actually pressing the button harder. You have to press harder to compress the rubber around the button.
    12-27-11 06:46 AM
    The buttons work just fine
    +1
    In Canada the Source (Radio Shack) still had them discounted by 50% = 29.00

Buy one and try it out, bring it back if you don't like it.
    12-27-11 06:49 AM
    I just got the Convertable case from Staples for 19.95.
    Looks like Staples won't be reordering that item.
    I love it and the button are obviously harder to work, so what

This may sound stupid but I didn't know you could put the PB to
    sleep with a swipe. How do you do that, like what gesture do you use?

Sorry for my typos alway..
    Last edited by Betmen; 12-27-11 at 10:54 AM.
    12-27-11 07:13 AM
    This may sound stipid but I didn't know you could put the PB to
    sleep with a swipe. How do you do that, like what gesture do you use?
    I believe that the poster meant to swipe down from the corner to reveal the battery icon, then tapping it to reveal the "stand by" button. A few extra steps but very convenient nonetheless. Easier than using the pressing the button (even without the case).
    12-27-11 07:27 AM
    Acase or Blurex convertable leather case from Amazon leave full access to all buttons and ports, opened or closed.
    12-27-11 08:51 AM
    The case needs an opening on the bottom so the charger can be plugged in with the case closed.
    I can't remember the last time I used any button on the top, except to try out the screenshot feature (hold both volume up&down simultaneously).
    12-27-11 09:13 AM
    Thank you! I really like the brown Acase product!
    12-27-11 09:23 AM
    I have Convertable Case and I'm generally happy with it. But (with *mine*, YMMV) it is essentially impossible to make any of the buttons work, only the Volume Down can be made to work if I press hard enough. Not such a big deal since one can adjust the volume and hit standby through the menu.

Also, it's perfectly incompatible with the charging stand. Even the rapid charger connector prevents the cover from being properly closed.

My friend has the Otterbox case and he looks like a dweeb carrying it around.

Choose your poison...
    12-27-11 09:34 AM
    I used a razor blade to cut one side of the volume buttons on the case. It makes volume buttons very easy to press. I don't use the power button ever so that's not an issue.

This trick works great on the BlackBerry soft-shell case for the 99XX too, which is where I got the idea from.
    12-27-11 10:25 AM
    IMHO, the BB convertible case is a great all-round choice to not only protect your beloved Playbook, but also transport and use it. Sure it could use an access flap for the cables and a clasp or magnetic closure for the flap, but the understated sleek design, full 6-sided protection, build quality, ability to use 3 - 4 different ways, and now the relatively affordable price more than make up for it's shortcomings. It's now available in genuine leather, which just adds to the user experience and elegance.

Best Regards,

DL
    12-27-11 10:41 AM
    BTW, I have had no issues using the power and volume buttons while in the cases.

DL
    12-27-11 10:44 AM
    Get it at staples $19.95
    12-27-11 10:58 AM
    I wasn't aware you could adjust the volume without the buttons.
    Something I wonder is how easy it is to remove the PlayBook from the Blackberry convertible case. And if I removed it frequently this wouldn't damage the PlayBook?
    12-28-11 04:00 AM
    It really easy to remove. I do it every evening to put it in on the rapid charging stand(also a must have accessory). I doubt you will do any harm.
    12-28-11 04:16 AM
    Thank you! In that case I think I'll go for this case as its the cheapest and seems to offer the most protection. If I can't use the buttons, then I will just use the touch instead!

All I need to do now is order my PlayBook!
    12-28-11 04:21 AM
    I don't mind looking dweebish and love my Otterbox. It needs no other stand, the built-in screen protector is less of a grease magnet and it fits the charger upside down. Right side up, the buttons are easier to push than without the case but, I don't use them much.
    12-28-11 04:22 AM
    Love the look, feel and uses of the Conv. Case.

Buttons are easy to use on mine and I love the fact that the PB is fully protected. Other plus is the BB logo and name written down the side.

Couple things I wish it had:

- Opening to charge while closed
    - Some kind of latch of closing system on the flap.

Overall no compliants. Still going to try and find the I-con Carbon click.... just missed out on the Future Shop boxing day sale.
    12-28-11 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD