hi Guys, here's my first problem (actually my second but I fixed the first one myself )

My playbook connects to my (Win XP) PC by USB and and Blackberry Device Manager reports it as a "Connected Device" (correctly identifying its PIN)

However the Desktop software reports "Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device"

The "Help only offers suggestions if your PC does not detect the device.

I have uninstalled the Desktop software, deleted the USB drivers and started again - with the same result.

Any suggestions ?

TIA

Terry
    09-02-12 03:53 AM
    Go to My Computer, and see if your PB shows up as a drive, probably Z:. If it does, you can manually transfer files this way, and it's usually much faster than using Desktop Software.
    09-02-12 06:04 AM
    when connecting my two playbooks 32gb 64gb to my computer it shows as disconnected (always) i then have to press start ,control panel, programs,unistall programs.then i have to go to do an uninstall of software and choose the REPAIR BUTTON,this then goes through the motions it then shows this message (the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable) i press cancel and it then gives me an error1706 no valid source could be found. i press ok plug playbook in and it then shows as connected and i can sync all.what is going on? i have reinstalled 7.1 software at least 4 times acer aspire laptop running vista, whats going on. sorry for long post thanks in advance if anyone can help.tony
    Attached Thumbnails (OR TRY THIS)
    09-02-12 06:25 AM
    Try an older version ! I Run 7.0 and its works perfectly
    09-02-12 07:02 AM
    By your description, your probably using a USB charging cable and not a USB data sync cable.

If you want to sync data with DTM you will need a data sync USB cable. If you dont have one, you can get one at any store that sells USB cables and make sure you check the box for it to say data sync.
    09-02-12 08:32 AM
    I have the same issue as terry 1100. Just to be clear the cable that came with the playbook is a charging cable not a data cable?
    09-02-12 08:59 AM
    I have the same issue as terry 1100. Just to be clear the cable that came with the playbook is a charging cable not a data cable?
    No. The cable that came with your PB is both a charging and data cable.
    09-02-12 09:08 AM
    So I'm assuming you don't see this on your PB after plugging it in.

Did you try this?

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    Last edited by saudadeii; 09-02-12 at 09:49 AM.
    09-02-12 09:45 AM
    I think you are really close to getting it going. I had the same issue that I have been trying to solve on and off for the past six months.

You indicated device manager sees the playbook and identifies the PIN. Dbl cllic the Blackberry device manager icon when you first connect the playbook and you will get a window - Device Manager Properties. Wait a bit and eventually the playbook will show up and then expand out (plus sign) the information found under the playbook. This will show you time connected and the IPV4 network address. If you can see this you are minutes away from connecting.
    There is an options tab in the device manager window, click on 'options' and you will see the selections to 'Mount volumes on connect' and 'Launch File Explorer on volume mount'. If the first option is ticked then the playbook should automatically map as a drive. For whatever reason, this often DOES NOT WORK.
    Here's what to do - for now untic the two options then disconnect your playbook.
    On playbook look under settings/Storage and Sharing/Network Identification/Properties. Note the Tablet Network Name - example 'bronco'
    Plug your playbook back into the computer and once again dbl clic Blackberry device manager icon when it pops up. Wait until extra information is shown as described above (30 sec to 1 min).
    Go to windows file explorer and select 'map network drive'. Select a free drive letter you like then enter the following under folder:
    \\bronco\Media then clic finish. In you case enter your playbook network name noted above.
    Shortly the drive you mapped should show up, done. If this does not work then try again but first turn off any firewalls you may have on your PC.
    I had 5 or 6 computers that I could not connect to, now they all work.
    You can now go into device manager and select 'Mount volumes on connect' , the playbook should now show up automatically on connection.
    It takes some time to establish a USB connection, a weakness on the Playbook in my opinion but it will work.
    Desktop software should now also work but this software really blows chunks IMO.
    Sorry for the long winded post.
    newimperial, Terry1100 and Jr_660 like this.
    09-02-12 10:12 AM
    Thanks all round guys - but no joy.

I spent some time on the phone today with BB Tech Support and after a lot of faffing around we were back at square one - with the conclusion that the problem is with my PC (a bit of an old nail to be honest)

The problem definitely lies with my PC (Win XP SP3) as it wont load or start the Blackberry Network Adaptor (yellow asterisk in >System>Hardware)

It's "error 10" but I have no idea how to fix it.

Any suggestions as to the likely cause and how to fix it - or alternative ways to get my content on to the Playbook. This presumably explains why I can't do it over Wi-Fi either and the BB Desktop software does not support Bluetooth transfer on the Playbook.

TIA

Terry
    09-03-12 07:44 AM
    Terry:

I presume you UNinstalled and REinstalled the desktop software? I'm not sure if older versions of the desktop software might work better on your computer. I am not sure if you can find them.
    09-03-12 09:05 AM
    F2 yes, fully uninstalled, rebooted then installed again.

I would welcome any links to earlier versions of the Desktop software
    09-03-12 09:17 AM
    Well, I just connected my PB to my old bookend of an HP desktop with Win XP Media edition (never connected before) and it installed the BB Device Manager and connected my PB.

Is your WIN XP up to date? Is your anitvirus disabled when you install?

You could try uninstalling DM once more, make sure you pick to remove all user settings too. Then manually check to make sure all folders and registry keys are gone. Reboot.

Do not reinstall DM, instead, just connect your PB and see if it starts the install of the Device Manager.

When you try to connect by wireless, what happens? You should simply enter \\<your PB's Name> or \\<your PB's IP Address> and you should see the two shares named Certs and Media. Make sure you have file sharing on the PB enabled.

I renamed my nixpb64 so I enter \\nixpb64 and the 2 shares appear as if by magic.
    09-03-12 09:44 AM
    What version of the OS are you running on your PB? Does the software work with your BlackBerry? Have you tried? Everytime RIM puts out an OS update it creates the very same problem for me. However, my Torch 9850 continues to have no issues at all syncing with the software which proves to me that the issue is with the PB and not the desktop software. The issue goes away once RIM puts out an update for the software itself like they did about a month ago.
    09-03-12 09:47 AM
    Saudadeii

I just get the response -"the network path was not found"

Blkacesvf41

I don't have a BB

but thanks anyway

T
    09-03-12 09:51 AM
    It is now clear that I have two problems.

The USB connection is definitely a PC issue - I cannot fix the "error 10" in the driver. Perhaps if BB10 allows USB mass storage the problem will go away.

Anyway, I don't care any more.

The Wi-Fi problem was in my router. I had been looking to the PC for a solution but it was far simpler. Wi-Fi file sharing was disabled in the router settings (Netgear WNR2000).

I can now \\myplaybook (in fact I've mapped a drive) and as we speak, my family home movies are copying across.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
    09-18-12 02:49 AM
    Had the same problem, pc would not see playbook. Now it works, go to software upgrade in playbook and upgrade software to 2.1 . Now I can add or transfer files
    10-08-12 04:28 PM
    Thanks all round guys - but no joy.

I spent some time on the phone today with BB Tech Support and after a lot of faffing around we were back at square one - with the conclusion that the problem is with my PC (a bit of an old nail to be honest)

The problem definitely lies with my PC (Win XP SP3) as it wont load or start the Blackberry Network Adaptor (yellow asterisk in >System>Hardware)

It's "error 10" but I have no idea how to fix it.

Any suggestions as to the likely cause and how to fix it - or alternative ways to get my content on to the Playbook. This presumably explains why I can't do it over Wi-Fi either and the BB Desktop software does not support Bluetooth transfer on the Playbook.

TIA

Terry
    Terry... My Playbook communicates just fine (drive Z assigned) with my PC running Win XP SP3... JoAnn
    10-08-12 05:11 PM
    Subhunter888 - thanks for that.

I thought it was worth a try -even though I know the problem is with my PC's inability to handle the BB Network adaptor. And no, even after reinstalling the USB drivers and the BB Desktop it connects - but won't communicate.

As I said above, I'm not that bothered as I can now at least see it as a "Z drive"

One day I'll upgrade/update/replace my PC - but by then we'll be on BB10 with proper USB connection (ROFLMAO)
    10-09-12 02:25 AM
    I had the same frustration with several computers. On one Win 7 laptop, it was Zone Alarm that was blocking the connection, changed the settings to notify me of every connection attempt, then allowed the Playbook. On an XP machine, i had to go to the Network Connections, select the connection that had been created for the BB Playbook, go to Properties, then check (tick) TCP/IP. Even though the connection is over USB, it seems to be "viewed" as a network connection. that means that Firewalls, etc, can prevent a connection.
    12-12-12 04:11 PM
    i had this problem. DISABLE ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL. it worked.
    12-20-12 02:43 PM
    I had terrible trouble trying to connect my PB to my Win7 pc. I eventually stopped using Device manager. I deleted DM and now my pc instantly recognizes the Playbook and I have no trouble at all. Try it without device manager, it may be the problem.
    12-20-12 03:36 PM
    Win XP 2002 build with new install of service pack 3...

Hi Bronco - Your post is something to look forward to, yet when I attempt the network drive Z with the Folder name: " \\PLAYBOOK-6FCC\Media " a window called Map Network Drive says: Attempting to connect to \\PLAYBOOK-6FCC\Media...
    After a few seconds another window called "Windows" says:
    The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The specified network name is no longer available.

In Device Manager under Network adapters there is one called Research in Motion Network Device and it is enabled and a right click to properties under Device status it says: This device is working properly.

I'm at a loss and don't know what the freak to do.

I've spent hours reading forums, speaking with BB Support and now a supervisor just to attempt to get the BB desktop software to allow Media Sync. I'm able to do a backup of the device content of application data, media and settings is all.

The description you write of seems like the easiest and more fast way to transfer books, music, videos & pictures. Someone please help me!
    12-24-12 03:30 AM
    My PC is a 32 bit platform, not the 64 bit that Win 7 OS runs on... With an AMD Athlon processor and ASUS MB using IDE connection for an 80 GB Western Digital HDD.

Wondering if the 32 bit and 64 bit PC platforms make a difference with the Playbook and/or the BB desktop software?
    12-24-12 11:37 PM
    THANKS SOOO MUCH. I've been messing around with my PB for hours trying to get it to work. Followed your directions and it works.
    12-30-12 02:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD