10-20-12 11:46 AM
41 12
tools
    Hi crackberry forums! I'm new here but hope i can get some help.I bought a playbook second hand for 100 bucks and its been great! super and better specs then other tablets. My question was can i hook up my playbook via usb to run as a second screen without any latency issues? im making a mixer for djing and wanted to use it as a touch screen but i dont want to slow down my computer because its reading instructions from my playbook. like it could even be used as a display screen without touch if that helped the latency just so i could use it to display the next song for my mixer like a display screen. this would be much appreciated and very handy. Or even if i could use the touch to here and there without latency problems that would be great!
    10-14-12 11:46 PM
    also would like to mention that i have splashtop but it lags at the moment. is there a way to run it over usb instead of over wireless internet? or some other way of fixing the latency?
    10-14-12 11:47 PM
    Sorry to say, I'm unaware of any way to use the PlayBook as a secondary monitor. For one thing, the device would have to act as a USB host, which right now is a no-no.

Neat idea, though.
    10-14-12 11:49 PM
    if only I had an idea how to program... there was a gamepad app i found where you can download a program on your computer and route actions from your computer to buttons on an app but you had to order the free app from some guys website that i dont think he visits anymore any other apps similair to that that your aware of?
    10-15-12 12:04 AM
    I don't recall what compremote lite did??
    10-15-12 12:47 AM
    im not to sure this app is called gamecontroller and the website you go to to get the software for your pc is Game Controller - Home
    10-15-12 12:57 AM
    Omg I'm so embarrassed you can put it in the cart or click the download link right below it :s
    10-15-12 01:00 AM
    ive downloaded the program but cant get them to cooperate do i have to set up my laptop for folder/device sharing in some way? i added my ip adress and opened the program then clicked the connect button in the app but the computer program just kept searching.
    10-15-12 01:10 AM
    Mmm, splashtop, rdp, vnc - none of them extend your pc to your PB as a monitor.

And as a programmer, I can't send data down USB as they have locked it away (its more complex than that but thats the brief version).

I reviewed building an app of this choice, and using it via Wifi is the only way to do this, but I dont have available cycles for this. The trick is to use a mirror driver and reprogram it to treat an app as a display, that app then tunnels desktop to PlayBook. But you will never get it at 0 latency for touch response.

Edit:. The app you mentioned doesnt sound like its compatible with your PlayBook.
    10-15-12 01:45 AM
    I believe it is yet a no-go.
    If I had to explore a track it would be BlueTooth, but for now the "using as a controller" feature is managed by BB Bridge and is one way phone -> Playbook.
    But I believe it could be doable that way.
    10-15-12 01:51 AM
    so KermEd if i didnt use it for touch response but just as a display for virtual dj i could do this through the idea that you mentioned?
    10-15-12 01:57 AM
    oh its phone to notebook? thats odd it suggest you download the program to your phone and computer but maybe I misread it.
    10-15-12 01:59 AM
    If your DJing, did you look at the app called Pacemaker in App World? It doesn't make your Playbook a monitor, I think it replaces your computer.
    Last edited by DC506; 10-15-12 at 04:27 AM.
    10-15-12 04:04 AM
    ya theres plenty fo apps that replace my laptops program but i use equipment like turntables and controllers so i was only looking at using it as a screen for browsing through songs and effects.
    10-15-12 12:16 PM
    I believe it is yet a no-go.
    If I had to explore a track it would be BlueTooth, but for now the "using as a controller" feature is managed by BB Bridge and is one way phone -> Playbook.
    But I believe it could be doable that way.
    It will also control your pc with your phone.
    10-15-12 12:21 PM
    I once saw a demo of a program that they had running that let you use the playbook as the touch control on a pc with it looked to be no lag. It didnt show the descktop on the playbook just a screen for touch control. Looked pretty amazing just cant remember what it was called.. It was a whole video of it at one of the old jams I beleive.
    10-15-12 12:24 PM
    was it basically just a blank screen used as a track pad? its a cool idea but im using my playbook as a display monitor (or at least that's what id like) was there any display or just tracked your finger as the mouse? I have plenty of buttons and endless encoders and other midi controls built into my mixer that i use for scrolling through my program. I also already have two midi instruments that have track pads that i could us for the same mouse pad effect.
    10-15-12 01:15 PM
    so do i just have to get blackberry bridge for this thing and turn on the bluetooth in it to get all the proper connections going you think?
    10-15-12 01:16 PM
    Hi crackberry forums! I'm new here but hope i can get some help.I bought a playbook second hand for 100 bucks and its been great! super and better specs then other tablets. My question was can i hook up my playbook via usb to run as a second screen without any latency issues? im making a mixer for djing and wanted to use it as a touch screen but i dont want to slow down my computer because its reading instructions from my playbook. like it could even be used as a display screen without touch if that helped the latency just so i could use it to display the next song for my mixer like a display screen. this would be much appreciated and very handy. Or even if i could use the touch to here and there without latency problems that would be great!

For Android there are two programs, ScreenSlider and iDisplay. Both let you use an Android tablet as an extension of your PC's screen, to give you a larger desktop to work with. So with that, you could be displaying one program on your tablet, and others on your bigger PC screen. You can use touch gestures with the tablet's screen, or not.. depending on which program you use, etc.

ScreenSlider does not work on the Playbook (I tried to convert it.. it runs, but then crashes). I didn't try iDisplay, but the odds are not good. Both programs require WiFi.

Basically your best bet is to pick up a really cheap Android tab for $50 or so, for what you want to use it for.... better yet, just pick up a small LCD display with HDMI, connect it to your PC and there you go. You can set your PC up to use 'extended desktop'. It'll be a direct connection, so no latency.
    10-15-12 02:52 PM
    wow where could i find a small lcd display? If there cheap that would be sweet! maybe i could even mount it right into my mixer as a screen? if not what kind of cheap android tablet could do this and what specs would provide the least latency?
    10-15-12 03:03 PM
    not to sound cheap about it but i am looking for the best cheap method. which is actually why i started with the playbook it was the only tablet for 100 around where i live.
    10-15-12 03:05 PM
    I once saw a demo of a program that they had running that let you use the playbook as the touch control on a pc with it looked to be no lag. It didnt show the descktop on the playbook just a screen for touch control. Looked pretty amazing just cant remember what it was called.. It was a whole video of it at one of the old jams I beleive.
    Compremote Lite.....Fantastic app...i use it almost daily.
    10-15-12 03:22 PM
    not to sound cheap about it but i am looking for the best cheap method. which is actually why i started with the playbook it was the only tablet for 100 around where i live.
    What about the portable dvd screens for kids in the back of vehicles? You know, the ones that mount on the backs of the front seat headrests. Would something like that work?
    10-15-12 03:24 PM
    I've got no clue about the headrests but would I be able to map compremote lite to a program on my pc like virtual dj? where it would act as button press's in the program so I can press a button to play music?
    10-15-12 03:34 PM
    Compremote is basically a wireless mouse pad and/or keyboard. You download the app from App World and from the website, stated in the apps write-up, you download the client for your PC. Once everything is installed and open, your Playbook looks like this:

playbook as a computer screen via usb with no latency?-img_00000019.jpg

The striped portion on the right, is a slide for volume, scroll, fast forward, etc. The large gray area is the touch pad and the lower section is the left and right mouse buttons. I have a laptop connected to my TV, and I can sit back in a chair and operate it using my Playbook. I have noticed very little if any lag.
    10-15-12 04:02 PM
41 12