My gripe is did he intend to withhold the EOL status of playbook then by making the statement to clear out the inventory.
    I don't know how much that matters since BlackBerry already wrote off $500 million for PlayBook inventory prior to Heins. Sure, any PlayBook they sell after that write-off is a "profit", but it would be unrealistic to believe that announcing BB10 would generate more sales than just dropping the price to firesale levels.
    09-17-13 12:28 PM
    The compensation is go buy another tablet. The PlayBook is over 2 years old so even if you paid the full $500 to $700 then I believe you got a great value over this long period of time. There's plenty of great tablets at many different price ranges that offer in some cases much better performance or comparable performance that should suit your needs. Give the PlayBook as a gift, put it in a pawn shop, donate it, etc.
    09-17-13 01:13 PM
    there is no monetary compensation, but they are showing a softer side by allowing support beyond 1 year. my camera died recently (error 4003) and they are repairing the device and paying for fedex shipping. you can't get that from other vendors. I have gone through two acer laptops in the last 3 years, windows dying of natural causes on both and was never able to obtain any support from Acer or MS. still running Ubuntu on the second one, which had Win7 that is supposed to be a good OS. there is no negative media about Win7 or acer even though they last less than a playbook and offer no support without excuses.
    that said I wish they would give us at least BBM on the PB. Thor made a mistake by abandoning tablets, the device and QNX are more durable than competitors'.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    09-17-13 01:20 PM
    'Compensation' - lol, you have got to be kidding.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-17-13 01:24 PM
    there is no monetary compensation, but they are showing a softer side by allowing support beyond 1 year. my camera died recently (error 4003) and they are repairing the device and paying for fedex shipping. you can't get that from other vendors. I have gone through two acer laptops in the last 3 years, windows dying of natural causes on both and was never able to obtain any support from Acer or MS. still running Ubuntu on the second one, which had Win7 that is supposed to be a good OS. there is no negative media about Win7 or acer even though they last less than a playbook and offer no support without excuses.
    that said I wish they would give us at least BBM on the PB. Thor made a mistake by abandoning tablets, the device and QNX are more durable than competitors'.
    You just don't look for it or you don't belong to a win7 or acer forum. I'm thinking the problem was acer, never have cared for them.

And what do you mean by windows dying? If windows died it would die on all computers not just acers that you own.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-17-13 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Don't
    09-17-13 01:32 PM
    and what compensation are we talking about?........
    I think I should be compensated for reading these funny posts on a 2+ year old tablet.....
    robtanz and Greenlynx like this.
    09-17-13 01:50 PM
    the first one was a high end acer with Vista. after several updates the system could not update itself any more. it could not start either, just froze regardless of recovery efforts. installed Ubuntu and was happy until the screen started to go blank and stay blank most of the time. was not the monitor nor the the hd. spent money trying to fix it taking it to two tech repair vendors. went to trash.
    second one same story on Windows: one day it simply cannot boot any more. recovery produces nothing. hardware still working fine with Ubuntu though.
    that is what Windows died means. strange if it never happened to you.
    09-17-13 02:06 PM
    playbook lovers lost good things in life
    Greenlynx likes this.
    09-17-13 02:22 PM
    Please... Just get over the Playbook, go and buy an iPad or Android tablet if you badly need one, this way companies like Samsung can carry on spending OVER $11 billion on Marketing alone, $10 billion on R&D, in ONE year (2012), that is MORE than the market cap of the entire Blackberry company.

So yeh, stop your whining please, tablets are dead, Blackberry built up a massive subscriber base of 70 million over many years, but last year... ONLY over 100+ million tablets were sold, worldwide.

I'm tired of these Playbook threads, there are many other tablets out there with companies willing to take your money in return for a fully baked OS, flourishing app eco system with every app imaginable, and then some, also you even get OS upgrades thrown in, so can we have a little more support for Blackberry, don't give them a hard time about the Playbook, try a different eco system, you never know you might like it and then you can also buy their smartphones as by then, you'll be invested in the eco system when purchasing apps that are available.

Go Rimpire, yeh!
    09-17-13 02:43 PM
    Thought you were talking about the considered compensation -- 'did not meet the quality they had expected...and chose not to release it' -- and I had a chuckle.
    Haha...no, I meant BB10 on the PB.
    09-17-13 03:08 PM
    The posts keep getting better and better!!!!
    09-17-13 03:28 PM
    It's not a hint, it's a statement he made on a major news outlet. My gripe is did he intend to withhold the EOL status of playbook then by making the statement to clear out the inventory.
    yes, he did,,, i feel very strongly that he/they intentionally misled playbook buyers...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-17-13 04:19 PM
    Compensation. Smh.

Posted via CB10
    GV2012 likes this.
    09-17-13 04:24 PM
    Well then quit whining and do it.
    Quit whining about whining.....See how useless your response sounds when its given back to you?
    09-17-13 05:13 PM
    Its pretty simple IMO. A lot of us feel betrayed for being loyal. A lot of the responses from you guys like " oh well, now you know better" and "quit whining", "move on" are just lame. If the message is " move on" then the message that BB is sending is...our products suck, they can be abandoned at any time and you should have no faith that we will support our products going forward, but thanks for the cash.
    My playbook does nothing but sit in the cupboard. Without a working bridge or BB 10 its a pile of crap. My Z10 is faster, and has a better browsing experience. As for compensation? I never expected anything from a company that could exploit its most loyal clients and then leave them hanging like this. The way this PB BS unfolded is a perfect example why this company is hanging by a thread despite the fact that it just recently released one of the best phones on the market. No one has any faith that they will or are going to do the right thing anymore.
    milo53, FF22, cmdr_dan and 4 others like this.
    09-17-13 05:22 PM
    Where is the compensation for playbook owner that thor has promised when he announced the doom of the playbook?

Posted via CB10
    Soon my friend...
    SOON

BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins wouldn't lie, would he.
    Playbook Compensation-rapt.png

09-17-13 06:44 PM
    They already have a trade-up program so I would think that they should let Playbook owners trade-in their playbooks plus paying $200 extra for a BB10 device (maybe a Z10 to start with).
    09-17-13 09:09 PM
    here is a "compensation" for ya, they discounted the playbook YOU BOUGHT for like upto 80% That's your compensation lol now the ones who have the right to complain about compensations is the poor buyers who purchased the PB FULL PRICE! which I'm positive you did NOT... if your not happy about it then sell your playbook and move onto another device! I highly suggest the Surface RT! (shameless plugin) it's the best tablet I have ever used! and I have used em all
    muddy211 likes this.
    09-17-13 09:27 PM
    It's not a hint, it's a statement he made on a major news outlet. My gripe is did he intend to withhold the EOL status of playbook then by making the statement to clear out the inventory.
    IMO, he made the statement so as to not adversely affect the roll out of the z10. I believe he knew all along that BB10 wouldn't be coming to the PlayBook. That's why the announcement to stop supporting the PlayBook came conveniently between the introduction of the z10 and the q10.
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    09-17-13 09:49 PM
    They decided it did not meet the quality they had expected...and chose not to release it. Good for them. They had the balls to make the tough choice. All the princesses on this site need to suck it up, and stop the whiny complaints. But...I'm going to be flamed, nevertheless, by those who have no brain at all. No matter....good for BB....they made the right choice.

agreed, they have enough bad reputation for half baked os with the playbook. this would have been a distraction for the bb10 experience in general across their new devices. people would have associate bb10 in general as sloppy and slow and half baked. the media would have crucified them for this .
    a good decision imo. my playbook is nonetheless useful .
    09-17-13 10:16 PM
    Did you say compensation or condensation?
    Either way, both are coming SOON!
    09-17-13 10:19 PM
    Let's not get carry away with the compensation. Thor did not mention such thing. It was a casual interview with a casual answer pondering what he and the company might do. Nothing ever come of it.
    09-17-13 10:43 PM
    Where is the compensation for playbook owner that thor has promised when he announced the doom of the playbook?

Posted via CB10
    Grow up.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:47 PM
    They already have a trade-up program so I would think that they should let Playbook owners trade-in their playbooks plus paying $200 extra for a BB10 device (maybe a Z10 to start with).
    So your saying the PlayBook is worth 400 dollars.
    Since the MRSP of the Z10 is 600 so 600-200=400 That means BlackBerry would be talk a 400 dollars loss on each trade in playbook. Can I ask you a question? Did you spend over 400$ on your playbook.

Please people suck it up. The PlayBook isn't getting BB10 sure we were all promised it. But not all promises are kept. So if you don't like your playbook and no one has a gun to your head forcing you to keep it then....sell it.
    Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-17-13 10:59 PM
    Quote from Simon Sage's article on CB from 10. July 2013: "We asked the BlackBerry CEO if they're considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love, to which he responded it's something they have been actively discussing and considering."
    Then they had a meeting to review financials & forecasts for the remainder of 2013 and somehow found something a bit more pressing.
    09-18-13 12:52 AM
117 12345