I think we should stop pestering Alec, he does developer relations. Ask him if he can give us a contact who is closer to the PlayBook to go after.

Posted via CB10
    Well, then an upgrade to Android could be a sales pitch to developers - more units (phones AND PB's) can run their apps!!!

PESTER him - so very sorry!
    09-17-13 04:10 PM
    Well, then an upgrade to Android could be a sales pitch to developers - more units (phones AND PB's) can run their apps!!!

PESTER him - so very sorry!
    I'm all for developers bending Alec's ear about the PlayBook as in wanting to develop for it or even get BB10 apps on there. Just can't see the point of the regular user base going after him as it's not his job.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 06:26 PM
    My own personal opinion is the an upgrade of the Android runtime to Jelly Bean is my number one improvement that could be made to PBOS. Realistically I think it's the only chance for apps like BBM and Skype to come to the device. No chance at all of Skype coming to the PlayBook as a native app. Little chance of BBM as a native app I think. It would help future-proof the device in some way.
    I don't think that this is enough. I think that there must also be support for native code within Android apps. These are not my words, but the words of SifJar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-17-13 06:54 PM
    I'm all for developers bending Alec's ear about the PlayBook as in wanting to develop for it or even get BB10 apps on there. Just can't see the point of the regular user base going after him as it's not his job.

Posted via CB10
    The reason to take mister Saunders as a "target" for our requests doesn't necessarily have much to do with his job description, more however with his relatively "high" visibility...
    09-18-13 02:39 AM
    Have you guys seen these discussions --> http://forums.crackberry.com/general...98/index4.html

Citing one of the comments: "It's probably a PB2 with that sexy desktop/tablet interface video we saw. BlackBerry wouldn't just trash the year they spent building the BB10 PlayBook experience. As the ex employee said on the podcast the other week. That was the main focus while he worked there."

That would really surprise me - what do you think?
    09-18-13 03:03 AM
    Well it's not a tablet but - close enough - a phablet aka the Z30.

Posted from my Z10
    09-18-13 03:52 AM
    Have you guys seen these discussions --> http://forums.crackberry.com/general...98/index4.html

Citing one of the comments: (...)"BlackBerry wouldn't just trash the year they spent building the BB10 PlayBook experience."
    That would be a wise move, while it makes me wonder if that (a whole new product) wasn't the game plan all along, the possibility of BB10 for the PB merely a "side-effect".
    schwede likes this.
    09-18-13 04:01 AM

So he agreed to run it past the team. If I was a betting man I wouldn't putting money on
    The team?
    You mean that poor guy on part time contract working from home?
    FF22 likes this.
    09-18-13 06:15 AM
    Sometimes I wonder... It has been alleged that those voicing too positive a sound about Blackberry are secretly getting paid by them. Sometimes I think the opposite is the case, those most vehemently protesting surely must be in league with Blackberry as it is in Blackberry's interest to lower expectations (especially about the Playbook)...
    FF22 likes this.
    09-18-13 06:42 AM
    The team?
    You mean that poor guy on part time contract working from home?
    The way BlackBerry has been letting staff go he would be one of the lucky ones!!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:48 AM
    I don't think that this is enough. I think that there must also be support for native code within Android apps. These are not my words, but the words of SifJar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Yes native code support would be important. I would assume that if they did do the upgrade they would include that however as they included it in the current runtime on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:50 AM
    I've said it before: asking Blackberry to update the Android runtime would seem logical from the user's POV, but not very attractive to Blackberry itself from their POV, as investing time and energy in Android (i.e. not-Blackberry) won't be high on their agenda. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
    09-18-13 07:11 AM
    They don't need to invest much time. They have a basis with the runtime available for OS10.2. It wouldn't take them a lot of effort to port that to the PB.

Posted from my Z10
    09-18-13 07:16 AM
    They don't need to invest much time. They have a basis with the runtime available for OS10.2. It wouldn't take them a lot of effort to port that to the PB.

Posted from my Z10
    That's my thinking. Fingers crossed!
    09-18-13 07:41 AM
    The reason to take mister Saunders as a "target" for our requests doesn't necessarily have much to do with his job description, more however with his relatively "high" visibility...
    Also, do the OTHERS make their contact info available?
    09-18-13 08:41 AM
    Hopefully some good news on the way http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=850994

Posted via CB10
    schwede likes this.
    09-19-13 05:07 PM
    The playbook has comeback to life with the new bridge update. Now I actually have everything I need on this thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 03:13 PM
    The playbook has comeback to life with the new bridge update. Now I actually have everything I need on this thing.
    It would seem to be a nice parting gift indeed. I wouldn't know as I've got nothing to bridge my PB to (note to self: must try the microwave oven later). This seems to conclude the proceedings of our little "Action" thread. Fun times. But with the 4500 rumored layoffs I don't see Blackberry take additional "Action" for our beloved Playbook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-20-13 03:27 PM
    It would seem to be a nice parting gift indeed. I wouldn't know as I've got nothing to bridge my PB to (note to self: must try the microwave oven later). This seems to conclude the proceedings of our little "Action" thread. Fun times. But with the 4500 rumored layoffs I don't see Blackberry take additional "Action" for our beloved Playbook.
    Excuse me Mr flying duchperson thingy? What about me then? Am I to be just cast out like a used condom? The shame, the humility, cast aside without even a second thought! Oh death where is thy sting?
    09-20-13 03:43 PM
    Excuse me Mr flying duchperson thingy? What about me then? Am I to be just cast out like a used condom? The shame, the humility, cast aside without even a second thought! Oh death where is thy sting?
    Proceed as you see fit, my friend. I won't (and can't) stop you...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-20-13 03:50 PM
    Saw bad results for Blackberry and announcement of job cuts amounting to 40% of force, QNX is a wholly owned subsidiary of Blackberry. Do these figures incorporate QNX employment and profits. What is the employment at QNX? How is the value of QNX and patents incorporated in Blackberry books?

Tried to find another thread to post on but they are being slammed.

PS: Welcome back S_O_M and the Cowboy too if he ever gets out of that bar.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-20-13 03:57 PM
    Proceed as you see fit, my friend. I won't (and can't) stop you...
    You can!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-20-13 04:39 PM
    Too much sexual tension here, get a room boys I see this as very hopeful so don't loose faith! Bringing out the bridge means it will probably get more updates. If it could do text messages on bridge and they could either update the Android or get bb10 apps to work I could probably live with all the other niggles.
    Obviously that's because they were the most important things to me. I appreciate that might not be the case for everyone. Apparently switching on the ability to have portable storage is just a case of knocking it on. Gradually it's getting there.

Posted via CB10
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-20-13 05:15 PM
    I see this as very hopeful so don't loose faith! Bringing out the bridge means it will probably get more updates.
    I feel this whole bridge fix is more of a bargaining chip to prospective buyers: see, we can fix some of the mess we've gotten ourselves into! And don't get me wrong, I do hope we'll get more updates, I just highly doubt it... (but I said that before the bridge fix, so what do I know?)
    09-21-13 03:45 AM
    I feel this whole bridge fix is more of a bargaining chip to prospective buyers: see, we can fix some of the mess we've gotten ourselves into! And don't get me wrong, I do hope we'll get more updates, I just highly doubt it... (but I said that before the bridge fix, so what do I know?)
    I doubt we will see more Bridge fix. Just yesterday, I was heading downstairs to connect the pb to my tv. But, alas, I now have to also drag my phone (the now defunct z10) down, too, since my pb canNOT intuit that I've got an email or a calendar event came due - No Bridge (sniff) AND NO, damn it, I do not want to create email or calendar accounts on the pb. It was nice and tidy with Bridge! It worked FINE with Bridge. It needed no more with Bridge!
    09-21-13 10:49 AM
826 ... 2728293031 ...