Don't know ask Thor?
    That's not a pb - it's an entire former corporation.
    09-05-13 04:49 PM
    So, how does that feel, selling a PB BB device to some unsuspected buyer these days?
    Don't know ask Thor?
    10/10
    ROTFL

PS. I replaced my PB with a second hand HP TouchBook (2 years old, 1 GB RAM) and installed on it the newest android JellyBean. Cyanogenmod rules!
    Its fast and smooth and I have all the apps I missed..
    09-05-13 05:00 PM
    I'm sure it would be relatively easy to write the necessary story. My point, however, is that you'd have to have the "newspapers, magazines, tv stations and tech sites" to go along. And they won't, maybe if we had asked earlier..
    IIRC, you were of the mindset to not "embarrass" Blackberry.... that Blackberry should be contacted first (Like they care) in a low key non confrontational manner.... IIRC.

EASY to write the STORY?.... MY GOD MAN..... THAT'S WHAT I"VE BEEN TRYING TO ELUDE TO.
    EG: Have people put their heads together and confirm info, write up a story that grabs people's attention.

NOTE Different versions would be needed for different demographics.

Regardless,
    The only way to get them to move/ approve of anything is to apply pressure and make them aware of the "pros" of doing the right thing.

PlayBook owners got done dirty... or should I say they Got "BlackBerried Good".

BlackBerry is not going to open source the apps.
    They are unlikely to do ANYTHING, unless you can show them it will benefit them in the long run, OR make the net worth of the company worth more. OR make them look more attractive to someone that's thinking about buying "BlackBerry" (The company)

Bought a PlayBook based upon assurances and statements made by the CEO of BlackBerry and other top ranking officials of BlackBerry it'd get BB10 OS update?=

You got *"BlackBerried", by "BlackBerry" on that BB10 OS for the PlayBook dude. Man they got you good dude.

Got ripped off?= Hey dude, sounds like you got "BlackBerried"
    Wife left you?= Boy she "BlackBerried" you good!.

* You got "BlackBerried" a expression that became popular 2013 onward due to the way BlackBerry treated PlayBook owners.
    (This term being used interchangeably with the term You've been Rick-Rolled... Lied to, etc.)

09-05-13 11:38 PM
    10/10
    ROTFL

PS. I replaced my PB with a second hand HP TouchBook (2 years old, 1 GB RAM) and installed on it the newest android JellyBean. Cyanogenmod rules!
    Its fast and smooth and I have all the apps I missed..
    Replacing BlackBerry PlayBook with HP TouchBook (2 years old, 1 GB RAM), installed on it the newest android JellyBean. Cyanogenmod.

You have gone from a LOCKED DOWN device in which you were totally dependent on the "BlackBerry Mothership" for ANY and ALL support, patches app and OS updates, etc (And we have seen how that has worked out- NOT GOOD)

To a device in which HP when they deemed the HP TOUCHPAD EOL (End of Life) and decided to drop it HP UNLOCKED the device so other OS's could be installed.

PLAYBOOK= TOTALLY LOCKED down. Number of persons familiar with OS that are willing to share ANY info on the internals of the OS (And how to get into the OS) numbering maybe (2) persons in the WHOLE WORLD.

Number of persons running "Rooted", or JailBroken" PlayBooks? Maybe 2,000 persons worldwide (if that). Good old BlackBerry when they discovered PlayBooks being rooted pushing out a update 2.xxx that encrypted the boot-loader (or whatever) so "Rooting" was NO LONGER POSSIBLE. Thereby killing any kind of long term interest in the device for those that had the skills to "Fix" issues within the OS, apps, modify the device's behavior, do improvements.

Going to the HP TouchBook (2 years old, 1 GB RAM), installed on it the newest android JellyBean. Cyanogenmod.

Instead of (2) people in the whole world knowing the OS.... The numbers of people "into" the Android OS, modifying it, knowing the OS inside and out probably numbers 100,000 world-wide.... and those people are into modding and fixing shortcommings.

Additionally- Number of "Rooted" devices probably runs into the millions. Say 20 million.

Left me do the math:
    Locked down device, Rooting the PlayBook not possible unless you get a totally new PlayBook at ver 1.xxx... and know the EXACT procedure to root it.
    PS: You have (1) try to "Root", or JailBreak" the PlayBook Once it updates to ver 2.xxxx "Rooting" is no longer possible.

"Support" is a joke, if it doesn't work....Since you are TOTALLY dependent on BlackBerry to fix core apps, OS issues you are just out of luck. The only exception to this being if maybe you spent $10 million per quarter with BlackBerry they would fix or create a app for you.

B]HP TouchBook (2 years old, 1 GB RAM), installed on it the newest android JellyBean. Cyanogenmod.[/B]

Exact opposite. You are free to do with the device as YOU want, and there are hundreds of thousands... MILLIONS of persons running "Rooted, or JailBroken" devices and when you go to a forum asking for HELP... they can give you REAL HELP.... Them not worrying about breaking NDA's, getting "banned" for releasing info, or being taken to court.

Downside of Android OS being it's fragmented, and with more people interested in it's not as secure, will get hit with malware /apps that steal data.

At least that's my impression.

Oh, BTW... With the HP you have access to TONS of apps.
    Most might be el-crap-ola, but you have probably 50 versions of the same app to pick from if the first app doesn't work out. With the PlayBook there might be (5) versions (if your lucky) , 4.5 of them being quickly done Android ports that were ported over to make a quick buck and then the developer moved on...

Rooted /JailBroken= Gives the end user access to advanced settings within the OS... Basically gives you ADMIN rights. You can fix things.
    Locked Down Device = You are totally dependent on the manufacturer for everything.

PS: You can fine-tune the above and info from my previous posts into your STORY, LETTER, or PETITION to BLACKBERRY.

09-06-13 12:25 AM
    I'd like to mention that cyanogenmod android OS on HP is a dual boot and it doesn't in any way compromise WebOS security etc.
    I can still boot to WebOS which is much better than PB OS and BB10 , both being WebOS poor copy in my opinion. WebOS is just useless for one reason only, lack of apps.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    09-06-13 03:41 AM
    For what it's worth, apparently:
    Yesterday I mailed my follow-up question about the "open source" proposal to mr. Saunders:
    As I haven't heard back from you yet after your initial confirmation of receipt, I wanted to quickly follow up on this:
    is this still under (some kind of) consideration, or has it been dismissed already?
    Thank in advance for your reply�
    To which he replied today (my time-zone):
    I got it. Forwarded it on to some others. Will track it down.
    Which you can take several ways, obviously, but it helped me to keep some optimism going. But hey I am renowned for my optimism...
    schwede likes this.
    09-06-13 03:44 AM
    PS: You can fine-tune the above and info from my previous posts into your STORY, LETTER, or PETITION to BLACKBERRY.
    Apparently you've got the time, the energy and verbiage to rant and rave like the best of them, but you're unable to initiate any kind of action yourself. No offense, BTW, like I said before, I do appreciate the occasional good rant once in a while.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-06-13 04:11 AM
    Apparently you've got the time, the energy and verbiage to rant and rave like the best of them, but you're unable to initiate any kind of action yourself. No offense, BTW, like I said before, I do appreciate the occasional good rant once in a while.
    Rant rant!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 06:33 AM
    Rant rant!
    He particularly mentioned a GOOD rant. Yours - not so much!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 10:46 AM
    Good rant good rant, very good rant?
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 10:59 AM
    Good rant good rant, very good rant?
    If your posts were longer, that would be a good place to start...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-06-13 11:02 AM
    If your posts were longer, that would be a good place to start...
    I agree but I don't know many words?
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 11:06 AM
    What you like with heavy objects? Just trying to figure if you have some use
    sad_old_man and Hirazi Blue like this.
    09-06-13 11:38 AM
    What you like with heavy objects? Just trying to figure if you have some use
    I can change a light bulb! (supervised obviously as my mother strictly forbid me from using sharp objects)
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 11:48 AM
    Not needing any bulbs changed just now, I'll get you some crayons to keep you occupied.
    09-06-13 11:52 AM
    Not needing any bulbs changed just now, I'll get you some crayons to keep you occupied.
    Mmmmmmmm can you make it chalk instead? I'm no good at staying between the lines in the coloring books with crayons.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 11:56 AM
    For what it's worth, apparently:
    Yesterday I mailed my follow-up question about the "open source" proposal to mr. Saunders:

To which he replied today (my time-zone):

Which you can take several ways, obviously, but it helped me to keep some optimism going. But hey I am renowned for my optimism...
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I think the above is a major leap to get a dialogue up and running with someone that far up the food chain. To even bother replying is a big leap from where we were. It's just a petty either @savetheplaybook or the poll had more people worth raising en eyebrow. Maybe we should ask non playbook owners but all Blackberry customers for their support. Many of them will have an axe to grind with what's going on at the minute with the company and fear they may be next.

If he doesn't want to get too involved, perhaps ask if there is somebody at Blackberry direct as an official source we can liaise with. Future prospects keeping the Playbook community informed and the community can pass on any information requests to them. Like the results of the poll etc.
    Last edited by AWB70; 09-06-13 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Though of something
    09-06-13 11:57 AM
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I think the above is a major leap to get a dialogue up and running with someone that far up the food chain. To even bother replying is a big leap from where we were. It's just a petty either @savetheplaybook or the poll had more people worth raising en eyebrow. Maybe we should ask non playbook owners but all Blackberry customers for their support. Many of them will have an axe to grind with what's going on at the minute with the company and fear they may be next.
    I'm in? Count me in? I hate my Z10 with a passion that the piece of crap deserves that it should get! Oh yes count me in but don't tell the dutchwoman?
    09-06-13 12:02 PM
    I can change a light bulb! (supervised obviously as my mother strictly forbid me from using sharp objects)
    No wonder you don't use your head!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-06-13 12:03 PM
    No wonder you don't use your head!
    I do too! I put my helmet on it silly!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    09-06-13 12:08 PM
    I'm in? Count me in? I hate my Z10 with a passion that the piece of crap deserves that it should get! Oh yes count me in but don't tell the dutchwoman?
    I like my Z10, it's growing on me big style the more I use it. Still have to use the 9800 for work though. It shocks me how they have took something that worked so perfectly and pretty much broke all that was good in the quest for BB10. If my Z10 did exactly as my 9800 does I would be living the Blackberry dream right now. Top fan boy and I might have had a bid in November. Hey, I couldn't do a worse job than Thor! Then again if the Z10 was as good a the 9800 Blackberry probably wouldn't be up for sale anyway.
    Oh, and the Bridge function is limited down on the playbook. Has anybody mentioned that before? just in case anyone didn't know.

Sorry, should have said the bridge function is just fine on the playbook. It's limited on the Z10
    Last edited by AWB70; 09-06-13 at 12:13 PM. Reason: mistake
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-06-13 12:11 PM
    I like my Z10, it's growing on me big style the more I use it. Still have to use the 9800 for work though. It shocks me how they have took something that worked so perfectly and pretty much broke all that was good in the quest for BB10. If my Z10 did exactly as my 9800 does I would be living the Blackberry dream right now. Top fan boy and I might have had a bid in November. Hey, I couldn't do a worse job than Thor! Then again if the Z10 was as good a the 9800 Blackberry probably wouldn't be up for sale anyway.
    Oh, and the Bridge function is limited down on the playbook. Has anybody mentioned that before? just in case anyone didn't know.

Sorry, should have said the bridge function is just fine on the playbook. It's limited on the Z10
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh that's it you've done it now!!!!!!!! You had to mention my beloved bridge that that horrible cruel man deprived me of!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgive you though because my therapist has told me I have to!
    09-06-13 12:15 PM
    Oh by the way consider yourself on the list!
    09-06-13 12:16 PM
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I think the above is a major leap to get a dialogue up and running with someone that far up the food chain. To even bother replying is a big leap from where we were. (...) If he doesn't want to get too involved, perhaps ask if there is somebody at Blackberry direct as an official source we can liaise with. Future prospects keeping the Playbook community informed and the community can pass on any information requests to them. Like the results of the poll etc.
    I would really like see how this plays out before "jumping to conclusions"/getting mr.Saunders to do more for us. What transpired in my mailbox is a big step forward, I think, but its not yet what I have been hoping for, obviously. If that were to come to be, the sky might just well be the proverbial limit. But, sadly, only if that were to come to be, as far as I'm concerned...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-06-13 12:44 PM
    I would really like see how this plays out before "jumping to conclusions"/getting mr.Saunders to do more for us. What transpired in my mailbox is a big step forward, I think, but its not yet what I have been hoping for, obviously. If that were to come to be, the sky might just well be the proverbial limit. But, sadly, only if that were to come to be, as far as I'm concerned...
    Whatever happens I still like you!
    09-06-13 01:08 PM
826 ... 2324252627 ...