Now that BlackBerry have officially dropped support for the PlayBook, can they not hand over the official Playbook O.S to the open source network so it can be worked on by user's and I.T enthusiasm?I know we don't want the O S to be hacked but surly there is a way of doing it so that it will be protected.
    NO because the US military is using it and will NEVER let end users play with the coding.

What you have now is what it will be.
    Like I said before, I will say again. Jump ship and get an iOS or android device.

Blackberry has left the pb for dead. Wish people would move on already. This is pointless!!
    08-30-13 12:43 AM
    Quick update: the letter as discussed and agreed on this thread was sent to the BlackBerry COO today.
    08-30-13 02:42 AM
    NO because the US military is using it and will NEVER let end users play with the coding.

What you have now is what it will be.
    Like I said before, I will say again. Jump ship and get an iOS or android device.

Blackberry has left the pb for dead. Wish people would move on already. This is pointless!!
    With the greatest of respect if you haven't paid for a playbook then you shouldn't ask people to move on. All your other input was worth reading. If your 12 month old phone had been dropped by blackberry I feel pretty sure you would be up there as a top poster.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800
    sad_old_man and Hirazi Blue like this.
    08-30-13 08:19 AM
    I owned 4 playbooks at one time. I sold my last two when bb10 wasn't coming. Which I already knew wasn't going to happen.

It was old technology in 2013 and writing was on the wall ages ago it was dead. Hence the fire sale and retailers blowing anything playbook related for 75% off +

It's dead done over for the playbook. Nothing will happen but depreciate. It's a could have would have should have failure device now.

Game over! Why live on false dreams.
    08-30-13 03:43 PM
    I don't think it's about dreams at the moment, more people showing their contempt at the way blackberry are operating. They seem to have an attitude of not caring what their customers are asking for whether they like it or not.
    I'm not looking for conflict but people saying they're tired of hearing people going on about this subject the simple answer is don't come into a post like this when the majority of people in it are trying to achieve any sign of hope. If you're tired of hearing it the choice is yours not to.
    Regarding the us military, this is yet another paradox. I wasn't aware of this but it just further points out what a totally ridiculous situation it is. BlackBerry have sold the PlayBook to companies, military and of course the countless people who got fleeced on the strength of bb10. Absolute bare minimum the very least blackberry could do at the moment is state its intentions.
    I have so far not seen one official comment from them. Would the military like to know if a vulnerability was discovered does blackberry intend to do anything about it?

Just like the whole bb10forplaybookgate scandal it seems that no one is allowed to say anything at all which is all very suspicious.
    I think we have also established a lot earlier on in the post that dated technology is relative. It seems the only people who think so is blackberry themselves which is very convenient. Another point I noticed earlier when setting up BBM channels on my z10 was that bridge, which should be a core application only gets 2 stars. The majority of comments are people wanting full functionality for bb10 which, I think has been established is doable without too much hassle for BlackBerry and could keep thousands of customers happy but because it's play book related they won't even entertain the possibility. It's as if a memo has been sent round warning everyone not to even talk about it and all we want to know is why.

One thing for sure its not about money, I'm not buying into this they can't afford it the size of the company. People here aren't asking for a full rebuild just a couple of tweaks. If it's hit that point at blackberry it's time we had a whip round.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, dmlis and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-30-13 04:51 PM
    Game over! Why live on false dreams.
    I disagree. It might be a "false dream", but this thread has so far been a breath of fresh air as it TRIED to tackle the problem at hand with some "Action", however misguided, instead of sitting around b*tching and moaning about the betrayal of Blackberry and/or Thor. And, don't get me wrong, some (most?) of the b*tching and moaning certainly was justified. This thread however tried to channel some of the feelings of this community into some "Action". As such, even without any true results (although I am obviously hoping some good will still come of it) this thread was/is more worthwhile than the "million" (give or take) "I hate Thor" threads (one would have sufficed...)
    08-31-13 03:42 AM
    Why there's still talk about the PlayBook? I thought it is already over for good.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 03:46 AM
    How's the weather at troll mountain?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-31-13 03:49 AM
    How's the weather at troll mountain?
    Just thought I'd pop by and see if your still ok. By the looks of it you are?
    08-31-13 06:08 AM
    Well, he's holding his head above water. No telling where the neck, chest and knees are!
    08-31-13 01:18 PM
    He is doing fine. No need back up yet. Back to regular channel.
    08-31-13 09:10 PM
    While on the net tonight ran across a game in which the company produced a demo, I think the process to get the game to market taking 6 years. Progress on the game started, then would stop, stop and start, stop and stop and during this phase (or phases) the company used that DEMO video to build "excitement", make people want to buy the game upon it's release.

(Marketers are good about building excitement, When I watched a PlayBook video a couple of weeks ago that I posted a link to, Made me want to go buy another PlayBook, then I realized the company behind it. (BlackBerry)

As a aside= I guess CEO of BlackBerry Thorsten Heins thinks the PlayBook is a RIM product, and changing the name to BlackBerry releases BlackBerry from all responsibly.)

To make a long story short everyone that saw the demo wanted to BUY the product.

The product they released was a TURD. Looked like el-crap-ola, AI was stupid, The AI of your "WingMan, the guy who has your back so to speak" would just stand there while someone, or thing was attacking you or just get in your way. Things /players would get stuck in walls, etc.
    *AI= Artificial Intelligence

Basically they did the old bait and switch. (Sort of what has been done with, or to the PlayBook)

The result of this is the item's worth (And future purchases of products from that company from persons who got "BlackBerried") has dropped to nothing (They have patched the game somewhat I've read) but they irritated customers so much that 99% of the posts you read state that they feel Like they had been BlackBerried and that they are:

A: Warning others to not purchase the game NOR anything else from the company.
    B Stating they will NEVER buy another game from this vendor. PERIOD.

Now this being a game with most poster being teenagers or young adults you will see people being more "vocal" and posting in greater numbers.

Most people dissatisfied with the PlayBook long ago abandoned it and have moved on. Us adults have to draw the line on cost of the item, vs how much our time is worth.

The difference in us adults, is we persons who bought a "BlackBerry" product, pay hundreds, or a thousand dollars plus per seat (Per device with accessories), not $20 to $60 for a "game".

PS: All the early hype about the PlayBook, and the Hype about the BB10 OS being pushed to all PlayBooks, timed to, and riding the wave of "excitement" about the BB10 OS /devices... and the PlayBook getting BB10 with all that entails is the DEMO in this comparison to the below game.

Name of the Game: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) version
    Sega, GearBox

Google it.

Bought a PlayBook based upon assurances and statements made by the CEO of BlackBerry and other top ranking officials of BlackBerry it'd get BB10 OS update?=

You got *"BlackBerried", by "BlackBerry" on that BB10 OS for the PlayBook dude. Man they got you good dude.

Got ripped off?= Hey dude, sounds like you got "BlackBerried"
    Wife left you?= Boy she "BlackBerried" you good!.

* You got "BlackBerried" a expression that became popular 2013 onward due to the way BlackBerry treated PlayBook owners.
    (This term being used interchangeably with the term You've been Rick-Rolled... Lied to, etc.)
    09-01-13 12:35 AM
    Just been reading a topic on crackberry about Andrew Bocking apparently as ceo of BBM in his LinkedIn profile. The topic is more related to blackberry making BBM a separate entity should it be sold off and it running separately as a profit making business now that BBM will be crossing platforms.
    Just wondering if he should be in our cross hairs as one of the items in the poll was BBM for PlayBook? Surely if they are working on BBM for other os they could come up with an app for us. Doesn't even have to be built into the os just an app. They would have the technical knowledge from working within blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 03:47 PM
    Just wondering if he should be in our cross hairs as one of the items in the poll was BBM for PlayBook?Posted via CB10
    You shouldn't wonder about that, IMHO, you should simply act upon your hunch. That way we should find out soon enough. Write him a line (or two) and see where it goes.
    09-01-13 03:52 PM
    Already on it, so far only came up with his LinkedIn account where I don't think you can send private messages unless you are in his friends list.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 04:42 PM
    Excellent - would be a perfect contact for a conversation about BBM on PB.

The BBM rumors made me thinking about a potential "PlayBook Spin-Off":
    - Take over of PB support with one-off investment from BB
    - Update to OS3 (based on QNX innovations)
    - BB10 app compatibility
    - (new hardware)

Not sure if a business plan forecast would show positive outcome of such a spin-off but it does sound interesting, at least without looking really into the details.

PlayBook (or whatever a new model will be named) could always be the innovation power house for Blackberry.
    Last edited by schwede; 09-02-13 at 01:48 PM.
    09-01-13 04:47 PM
    BlackBerry is dead.

That's my take on the situation now. The company's products aren't wanted by the consumer market, enterprise couldn't care less about BB10 and BES, even services like BBM have been overtaken by rivals a long time ago, and BlackBerry simply doesn't have Microsoft's or Apple's stash of cash to keep facing the market alone. The PlayBook has been abandoned, BB10 devices are next once the company gets sold or broken up, so what's left?

I'm resigned to the PB being what it is. It won't ever get any updates and any loyal developers will move on to better things. If I can get a year's worth of service from the damn thing, that's good enough.
    09-01-13 08:44 PM
    I'm resigned to the PB being what it is.
    Strangely enough I fully agree. This thread, however, basically tries to theoretically get the most out of the Playbook, even if that isn't much more. My own take on this has always been, that you cannot resurrect the Playbook, but you can try to help it die gracefully. If that's possible, only time will tell and frankly I am not all that confident myself. But as we have limited our collective actions to sending a couple of emails, I really do not see any harm in trying. And if and when Blackberry does come back to us in a positive way concerning the actions we've started here, I for one am more than willing to sing their praise...
    sad_old_man and ampang_hilir like this.
    09-02-13 05:06 AM
    Strangely enough I fully agree. This thread, however, basically tries to theoretically get the most out of the Playbook, even if that isn't much more. My own take on this has always been, that you cannot resurrect the Playbook, but you can try to help it die gracefully. If that's possible, only time will tell and frankly I am not all that confident myself. But as we have limited our collective actions to sending a couple of emails, I really do not see any harm in trying. And if and when Blackberry does come back to us in a positive way concerning the actions we've started here, I for one am more than willing to sing their praise...
    Ear ear!
    09-02-13 06:46 AM
    I got a line up of fat ladies waiting here.
    sad_old_man, Hirazi Blue and FF22 like this.
    09-02-13 07:08 AM
    You will get locked up one day cat?
    09-02-13 07:27 AM
    You will get locked up one day cat?
    They tried. Didn't work.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-02-13 07:36 AM
    They tried. Didn't work.
    Oh I see your game now cat, your trying to get me shouted at again by the dutchman aren't you?.

Not working, I'm gone!
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    09-02-13 07:57 AM
    I am sure you do, but you'd probably have to take turns. It's easier to say "I told you so" than to actually take action, I'm afraid. Even if the action itself might prove somewhat misguided.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-02-13 08:36 AM
    Oh I see your game now cat, your trying to get me shouted at again by the dutchman aren't you?.

Not working, I'm gone!
    That's been known for a long time. Commitment papers will be drafted (draughted?) based on your admission.
    09-02-13 09:17 AM
826 ... 2021222324 ...