And BTW I actually can think of better things to do with my time than following up on a highly unlikely dream (yes, I do see that). I just think this community shouldn't go out in a whimper but in a - however feeble - attempt to make things work (a little better).
    08-14-13 05:07 AM
    Can I please ask everyone who is not interested to execute any action to try to get BlackBerry to communicate with us about the future of the PlayBook to stay away from this thread.

Those kind of comments are really not helpful and can be discussed outside this thread.

People who are at least a bit optimistic for the future of the PlayBook are very much welcome to join in and help driving this forward.
    msps likes this.
    08-14-13 05:41 AM
    You can ask but don't expect to have people comply. This is a forum, you don't get to decide who participates.
    Remember, the guy that started this thread hasn't even been back.

I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone from trying to get BlackBerry interested in the Playbook but I'm not optimistic about your success. It's difficult to be overly optimistic for the future of the Playbook when BlackBerry themselves consider it a dead project.
    BlackBerry is a business. They have to look at the decision to work on a project from a business point of view. What could make them want to work on the Playbook again?
    You have to answer that first before you can convince BlackBerry to do anything.

With what is going on there now (BlackBerry) I doubt the Playbook is high on their list of priorities.
    08-14-13 06:17 AM
    @schwede - I just tried to send you a private message again. Could you please confirm if you got it as I still apparently haven't got a clue, how to make this work (in a way that confirms that the sending was successful).
    08-14-13 06:39 AM
    @Angus_CB - What I find interesting is that you say there aren't hardly any objections, while you yourself keep on raising them. Hopefully for the final time: This isn't (and isn't meant to be) a highly realistic endeavor! Strange how everyone would profit,in the highly unlikely event we could pull this off, but the number of supporters for this crazy scheme (costs nothing BTW) is actually very small.
    This might be how the much derided quackquack147 feels...
    08-14-13 06:53 AM
    I wronte this in another thread but will put it here, too:

"Anyone know the persuasion of that Fund Manager or whatever Director who resigned was? While he was on the rim/bbry board with Thor, maybe he has a slightly different view of the pb and bridge functions? Yeah, I'm a dreamer (more song lyrics).......... "

Maybe there are some on the board who would have done things differently. So GO FOR IT.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-14-13 09:19 AM
    @Angus_CB - What I find interesting is that you say there aren't hardly any objections, while you yourself keep on raising them. Hopefully for the final time: This isn't (and isn't meant to be) a highly realistic endeavor! Strange how everyone would profit,in the highly unlikely event we could pull this off, but the number of supporters for this crazy scheme (costs nothing BTW) is actually very small.
    This might be how the much derided quackquack147 feels...
    I haven't seen where Paul (quackquack147) felt unsupported. Maybe he does, I don't know. I thought people were interested in his project, I know I am.

I've asked twice, what has BlackBerry got to gain by resurrecting the Playbook?
    I am not being sarcastic when I ask this. If you see a couple of simple questions as an objection how are you going to convince BlackBerry that they should give us an update to the Playbook OS? BlackBerry is going to ask the same question. Maybe not directly but at least internally.

You seem to be confusing objection with questioning the viability of this endeavor. I don't object to the idea at all. I've pointed out that we should ask for simple fixes and said, "I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone from trying to get BlackBerry interested in the Playbook".
    08-14-13 04:55 PM
    Problem is that the if and how to convince Blackberry IS the weak point of the plan (but still counts as an objection IMHO). And concerning quackquack147: have you seen the kind of comments he gets? Not pretty...
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 08-15-13 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typo
    08-14-13 05:27 PM
    Problem is that the if and how to convince Blackberrh IS the weak point of the plan (but still counts as an objection IMHO). And concerning quackquack147: have you seen the kind of comments he gets? Not pretty...
    Have you seen those crazies going on about not getting Miracast on their Z10?
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-14-13 07:45 PM
    08-14-13 08:58 PM
    Only a lawsuit can force BBRY to provide something like this.
    08-14-13 09:57 PM
    Well, as I apparently am a glutton for punishment, here is my rough first draft for a letter to Blackberry (well, the third draft, actually, thanks to some helpful comments by schwede). I know it might be prove hard for some of you, but I would really appreciate it, if you were to comment on this within the merits of the proposal itself, not necessarily rehashing the endless argument that it won't work anyway. I am aware of the unlikeliness of this ever succeeding. I even agree it probably will not succeed. But hey, at least we're trying something positive. That in itself is a novel idea�

PS The question where to actually send this has still not been answered conclusively...
    Attached Files
    08-15-13 03:38 AM
    Great - that's a major workproduct and makes this thread the real ACTION thread.

Too bad the OP can not "harvest the fruits" of his thread ... ;-)

To all positively minded contributors: please provide your "acceptance" of the draft or come up with recommendations for additions/removals/adjustments.

Perhaps I am a bit stubborn but in terms of recipient of this letter it should (at least in copy) go to BB investor relations - the main contact could perhaps be the person who is in the end in charge of the existing PB business, what about Kristian Tear (COO) - grown up in Sweden which might be good as normally in Sweden the opinion of a community really counts.
    Last edited by schwede; 08-15-13 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
    08-15-13 05:30 AM
    Well, as I apparently am a glutton for punishment, here is my rough first draft for a letter to Blackberry (well, the third draft, actually, thanks to some helpful comments by schwede). I know it might be prove hard for some of you, but I would really appreciate it, if you were to comment on this within the merits of the proposal itself, not necessarily rehashing the endless argument that it won't work anyway. I am aware of the unlikeliness of this ever succeeding. I even agree it probably will not succeed. But hey, at least we're trying something positive. That in itself is a novel idea…

PS The question where to actually send this has still not been answered conclusively...
    Good letter, Makes the point well IMO, and should at least give us some idea if BB are going to 'play ball' at all.

As far as the issues that need fixing by BB, I would delete Twitter (and maybe replace with 'on-screen keyboard'. If we are paring down to the bone on what really needs to be fixed, I don't think Twitter comes close. It is perfectly usable via a Browser, and there are lots of things I would see looked into before an official Twitter app...

EDIT: There is a typo in sentence 3 also, '...potential options to concerning the future of the PlayBook.' I think you just need to delete 'to'

If you really want me to be really picky, I would also replace 'this' in the second sentence with 'it'
    schwede likes this.
    08-15-13 09:13 AM
    Have you seen those crazies going on about not getting Miracast on their Z10?
    The Z-10 threads are the playbook threads from a year or so ago.
    08-15-13 09:35 AM
    @ChrisMay - Thanks for your suggestions. As I agree with them (you can't really argue linguistics, obviously BTW) I have updated the "rough draft"
    Attached Files
    08-15-13 09:46 AM
    @ Team Crackberry

As this is a very friendly and contructive attempt to get into a conversation with BlackBerry about the future of the PB are you perhaps under these circumstances willing to support that engagement?
    Hirazi Blue and ChrisMay like this.
    08-15-13 11:46 AM
    Great - that's a major workproduct and makes this thread the real ACTION thread.

Too bad the OP can not "harvest the fruits" of his thread ... ;-)

To all positively minded contributors: please provide your "acceptance" of the draft or come up with recommendations for additions/removals/adjustments.

Perhaps I am a bit stubborn but in terms of recipient of this letter it should (at least in copy) go to BB investor relations - the main contact could perhaps be the person who is in the end in charge of the existing PB business, what about Kristian Tear (COO) - grown up in Sweden which might be good as normally in Sweden the opinion of a community really counts.
    The op is actually following @savetheplaybook on twitter as well but doesn't seem to tweet. I notice that checking his profile in this board he has also posted recently on other topics. Not to badger the guy, each to their own but I find it quite strange to start a thread of this magnitude then just leave it! Anyway enough about that.
    The letter, yeah great idea. possibly something in there about getting the bridge function working with bb10 maybe? let them know that people are holding back on updrading until they find out for sure the tablet will be compatible with their new phone.
    08-15-13 03:24 PM
    Let's not be too critical of the OP, I myself, for instance, had already given up on this thread on several occasions...
    possibly something in there about getting the bridge function working with bb10 maybe?
    schwede wanted to include the bridge, but I took it out at the last minute, as I thought this was technically not a "pure" PlayBook issue and would as such "dilute" our message. Not owning a BB smartphone myself obviously helped with this decision.
    08-15-13 03:44 PM
    ok your letter. Reason I suggested the bridge was because not technically a playbook issue but I would assume if they did do something about the bridge it would also need some work playbook end. Another reason is there are many people not happy about the bridge function. Combined there is a lot of unhappy people in general which may make blackberry realise that a lot of what they are doing at the moment is griping their customers.

I'm easy though, would be good to get a response of any kind from an official source. Sort of dawned on me last night about how ridiculous the whole blackberry situation is. I have various products, games consoles etc and I can honestly say I've never came across a company before that is shrouded in so much secrecy and they want to be a bit more private! Seems to me that everything everyone knows about their products plans and services comes in here from leaked sources. Why don't they just have official press releases like every other company? ffs the news thet bb10 wasn't coming to playbook was by someone who works there on their personal twitter feed.
    08-15-13 04:26 PM
    Let's not be too critical of the OP, I myself, for instance, had already given up on this thread on several occasions...

schwede wanted to include the bridge, but I took it out at the last minute, as I thought this was technically not a "pure" PlayBook issue and would as such "dilute" our message. Not owning a BB smartphone myself obviously helped with this decision.
    I don't think it's over the top to enlist more features such as restore full bridge and multi-language keyboard on the list of demand. After all it's a proposal. The final decision still lies with BB . The can reject the proposal outright or fulfill certain proposals or all from the list.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-15-13 07:47 PM
    Another pro for the bridge: the absence of proper integration between BB10 devices and the PB is stopping a reasonable amount of users to replace their BB legacy phone with a new BB10 phone (see related thread) - it really depends on how valuable existing BB users are to BB :-)
    08-16-13 12:20 AM
    I like the tone of the letter. I think it is essential for success that we get CrackBerry and other sites to publish an article on the letter when sent.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-16-13 02:37 AM
    “They’re back” (Poltergeist 2 style) and by “they” I actually only mean the request for the bridge, as I do think we’re still at a stage where it pays off to be more or less flexible.
    There are ATM two main issues that need to be addressed IMHO:
    • In light also of what bambinoitaliano wrote: It might be an idea to prune the number of actual requests in the”on the one hand” part of the letter a little. That way we don’t overwhelm them in light of the fact we’re still “testing the waters” and offer them the option to "open source" some of their apps,
    • We still have to find an intended actual recipient. I do not dislike schwede’s idea per se, but I feel we should be able to get a little closer to the actual devs with this.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 08-16-13 at 03:25 AM.
    08-16-13 02:51 AM
    IMHO the letter is too wordy.
    I'll keep it short.

I'll definitely add some numbers eg
    2.7 MILLION PlayBook owners out there you could make "Happy", and like a new kid with a shinny new toy showing it off they could become YOUR BEST SALESMEN...
    You don't kill off a major OS update.
    2.7million units
    @1% ,that's 27,000 Salesmen you added to your SALES FORCE.
    1% might be to much, say 0.1%, it's still 2700 happy, FREE blackberry salesemen!
    Correlate it with say 10 000 (1:4 ratio) active, very unhappy BB detractors

Do they have better salesmen?
    Can they afford more bad press?
    schwede and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    08-16-13 03:44 AM
826 ... 1415161718 ...