I fully agree, you'd have to aim low at this point. An update to enable custom setting of default apps would already be huge in itself. That's probably as far as you will possibly be able to take it on the OS-level. But as Blackberry does have some history of open source development, getting them to "open up" some of the individual default apps shouldn't pose too big of a problem. They could see it as a "grand gesture" and we will have to see if we can actually use this code to make it better.

The lack of participation in the polls is a poll result in itself. There aren't that many people that really care if Blackberry releases an update or not.
    You're probably right that not all that many people really care anymore, but a certain amount of disbelief if the endeavor is actually achievable doesn't help either. People tend to only want to fight a battle they know beforehand they will win...
    schwede likes this.
    08-11-13 10:23 AM
    I think all that's needed is a stable 4.x Android player
    08-11-13 02:34 PM
    Enable USB-OTG.
    Could someone please explain this to silly old me?
    And would this involve merely setting a switch within the OS or would there be more to it?
    08-12-13 02:50 AM
    To a certain extent I agree, I do however doubt they will spend much time on providing us with such an updated runtime.
    08-12-13 02:51 AM
    Hmmm - to be honest, I dont like that at all. I have not bought a Blackberry device to run Android apps.
    08-12-13 03:22 AM
    Question please: there is now a petition on change.org with the following title "BlackBerry Inc.: Unlock our PlayBook bootloaders so we can upgrade to BB10".

Can someone explain to me what the advantage is of that and how that solves the problem we have with Blackberry not upgrading the Playbook OS?

Thanks.
    08-12-13 03:52 AM
    I sincerely doubt unlocking the boot loader will actually help them to get BB10 on the Playbook. And above and beyond that: Blackberry won't unlock the bootloader willingly as it could be conceived as posing a potential security risk. And security is still very high on their agenda, I'm afraid.
    08-12-13 03:57 AM
    Another question: does anyone know who currently, within Blackberry, would be the person to address any Playbook related questions to? In other words: who to directly "bombard" with requests for changes to the Playbook as all these petitions sadly aren't going anywhere IMHO,
    08-12-13 04:03 AM
    Could someone please explain this to silly old me?
    And would this involve merely setting a switch within the OS or would there be more to it?
    USB-OTG is USB On The Go.
    It just means that the USB port on the Playbook would have the ability to read and write to USB flash drives through an inexpensive adapter.
    Most Android phones have this capability built in.
    The Playbook OS has the capability built in it just needs to be enabled. It is nearly as easy as flipping a switch.
    Developers had it working in the older versions of the OS that could be hacked.

schwede long ago put this feature in the Developer list. As you may see, it does not belong there. This is a feature that everyone could use and something a lot of people expect to be there.
    FF22 and Hirazi Blue like this.
    08-12-13 04:32 AM
    I sincerely doubt unlocking the boot loader will actually help them to get BB10 on the Playbook. And above and beyond that: Blackberry won't unlock the bootloader willingly as it could be conceived as posing a potential security risk. And security is still very high on their agenda, I'm afraid.
    Unlocking the boot loader has nothing to do with BB security.
    It just allows to install a different OS.
    An indie devs would load BB10.2 on PB and Thorsten lies would be smashed
    08-12-13 05:34 AM
    Are you certain there is no security risk involved there?
    08-12-13 05:56 AM
    An indie devs would load BB10.2 on PB and Thorsten lies would be smashed
    To me that seems as if you confirm that the petition to unlook the bootloader does not really help us - there might nobody be willing to work on an independent PB OS and we just let BlackBerry go away with their original responsibility.

Could we not focus all activities on BlackBerry to continue updating their product in whatever way/form/shape?
    Last edited by schwede; 08-12-13 at 07:11 AM.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-12-13 06:17 AM
    Agreed...
    08-12-13 06:30 AM
    You go nerds! Make this **** happen!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-12-13 06:50 AM
    Maybe we can start by asking which updates they have in mind themselves (BB) and go from there?
    This way we can start some kind of collaboration instead of doing a pointing the finger game.

Posted via CB10
    Hirazi Blue and schwede like this.
    08-12-13 07:40 AM
    Maybe we can start by asking which updates they have in mind themselves (BB) and go from there?
    This way we can start some kind of collaboration instead of doing a pointing the finger game.
    I like the idea, but as they probably declared the Playbook EOL, they won't easily admit to changes they still had planned. Requesting these changes would be different I would imagine/hope...
    08-12-13 08:10 AM
    Give it up people. The company is about to be sold to the highest bidder and the new management/owner will care even less about the PlayBook. But feel good in knowing that Thorsten will likely be sent out to pasture by whoever takes over the company, although I'm sure he'll be laughing gleefully with a fat compensation package for not turning the company around.
    08-12-13 08:35 AM
    given this mornings news, i'd say, unfortunately, that all hope is now abandoned...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-12-13 08:36 AM
    Give it up people. The company is about to be sold to the highest bidder and the new management/owner will care even less about the PlayBook. But feel good in knowing that Thorsten will likely be sent out to pasture by whoever takes over the company, although I'm sure he'll be laughing gleefully with a fat compensation package for not turning the company around.
    Mmmmmmmm now let me think! Where have I heard that before?.......... oh I remember I said it 9months ago and got banned for it! It's nice to know the old Grey cells still work even after being bombarded by copious amounts of alcohol!
    FF22 and kraschute like this.
    08-12-13 08:46 AM
    Hmmm, the new company would still need a good/friendly connection to its user base.
    (How's that for putting a positive spin to it?)
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    08-12-13 08:54 AM
    Hmmm, the new company would still need a good/friendly connection to its user base.
    (How's that for putting a positive spin to it?)
    Oh and bb have one of those do they? Who did they buy that from then?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-13 09:13 AM
    We're taking about the new company BTW, who will want to do things differently and not hemorrhage all their customers immediately.
    08-12-13 09:19 AM
    given this mornings news, i'd say, unfortunately, that all hope is now abandoned...
    You certainly know how to blow my mood - this was the first I heard about THE NEWS and went to the home page. Oh, well, prices on "new in box z10's and q10's" should be lower. Or are they now collectables and going up in value?
    08-12-13 09:25 AM
    And here people are complaining about us whining the playbook update. Wait til the 10.2 not coming to the Z10 and Q10. LOL!!!
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-12-13 09:27 AM
    Oh and bb have one of those do they? Who did they buy that from then?
    Well, I've been saying that GOOD WILL is part of a company - maybe a company successful at that component of running a company might be willing to sell some to bbry.
    08-12-13 09:27 AM
826 ... 1112131415 ...