Thanks for keeping the Twitter Feed and Facebook running.
    I'm actually not running the twitter feed, but I like you have been promoting it as much as possible. Thanks though.
    08-02-13 08:19 AM
    *** REQUEST FOR SUPPORT ***

at this time I won't be able to participate further (in this "Action" I still support BTW).
    Anyone else willing to step in here - action is to create a petition on http://www.change.org/petition and to get >1000 PB users to support that petition before it will be send to BB. This is the "friendly" reminder for BB as suggested by some of the contributors on this thread.

I could think of reusing wording from above -->
    Receiver: BlackBerry
    Title: Support BB Playbook by providing further Operating System upgrades
    Details: The aim is for BlackBerry to update the Playbook OS, in keeping with the company's own promises. This is to achieve a positive outcome for everyone involved, the Playbook owners and the company.
    Last edited by schwede; 08-02-13 at 05:07 PM. Reason: headline added
    08-02-13 08:29 AM
    By the way, what ever happened to the OP?
    schwede likes this.
    08-02-13 08:48 AM
    By the way, what ever happened to the OP?
    I would also like to know this
    08-02-13 09:43 AM
    Good question. I have noted that he is following on twitter and has still been posting on cb lately. Perhaps would rather not do it in here because it's a board that is pretty much about promoting blackberry while we're giving them a bit of a telling off. Hence also no comments from CB head honchos.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:53 AM
    Certainly the petition can do no harm. I'll fully support it. Trying to drum up supporters on all fronts for the cause seems to be difficult though.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    axllebeer and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    08-02-13 11:06 AM
    Certainly the petition can do no harm. I'll fully support it. Trying to drum up supporters on all fronts for the cause seems to be difficult though.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    I think after more than two years of promises, delays, more promises, and more disappointments, rinse and repeat, folks are just running out of steam.
    SEAWARRIOR and Angus_CB like this.
    08-02-13 12:09 PM
    Annoying thing for me is I didn't really use the PlayBook for ages. It had a few annoying things and rather than looking too deep into it I sort of put it to one side. It's taken me realising that in fact this is it to catch up and find out its full capabilities. I'm all up for the petition once live. Like previoius posts though, last I looked the were 33 followers on twitter and 11 on Facebrook. Haven't checked the poll for a while. But numbers will be a key factor.

I think twitter is the best medium for getting the number together. Once that gets to 1000 plus that would be the time to so it. I won't be running out of steam on this one for a while. As of now, I'm waiting on blackberries reaction once they are aware of the problem. That for me will decide my future.

Posted via CB10
    schwede likes this.
    08-02-13 02:02 PM
    Annoying thing for me is I didn't really use the PlayBook for ages. It had a few annoying things and rather than looking too deep into it I sort of put it to one side. It's taken me realising that in fact this is it to catch up and find out its full capabilities. I'm all up for the petition once live. Like previoius posts though, last I looked the were 33 followers on twitter and 11 on Facebrook. Haven't checked the poll for a while. But numbers will be a key factor.

I think twitter is the best medium for getting the number together. Once that gets to 1000 plus that would be the time to so it. I won't be running out of steam on this one for a while. As of now, I'm waiting on blackberries reaction once they are aware of the problem. That for me will decide my future.

Posted via CB10
    they're aware & don't give a flyin' fork,,, i totally support the efforts of those giving their time, but i feel without a VERY public kick in the balls, BB will just continue to dig their hole,,, there has to be something in it for them/stockholders to get them to do anything,,, some pb owners have sworn off buying any of their devices,,, they expected this & knew that it wouldn't be a large enough # for them to give a sh!t...
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    08-02-13 02:51 PM
    I fear you may be right. Nothing ventured though I supoose. As per usual I seem to get most of my information from third parties. Even blackberry saying they were looking into it and seeing what is possible would do me for now! It's criminal.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    08-02-13 04:36 PM
    Meant to say in my previous post, the reason I never used the playbook for ages was that it seemed pointless installing stuff and getting all my settings and folders the way I want them when I was convinced Bb10 was coming and would have to totally wipe at some point.
    08-02-13 04:41 PM
    Update. I've lost possession of my BlackBerry. Therefore I'm unable to continue to maintain the BBM channel. If there is another person that wants to take over this responsibility it would be greatly appreciated. Also my personal channel will also not be functional. But I will be following the twitter account created and still maintaining the Save the PlayBook page on Facebook.

Thanks all for your support.
    That's it? The whole process is going down? Notthing?
    08-03-13 10:05 AM
    That's it? The whole process is going down? Notthing?
    I wouldn't say that the whole process is going down. Am I really the only one in here using BBM Channels? No one was following mine and several were following the Save the PlayBook Channel. All other social media are still up and running. So anyone want to build a new BBM channel for the PlayBook?
    08-03-13 10:18 AM
    I wouldn't say that the whole process is going down. Am I really the only one in here using BBM Channels? No one was following mine and several were following the Save the PlayBook Channel. All other social media are still up and running. So anyone want to build a new BBM channel for the PlayBook?
    In my opinion bbm chanel won't work, you should focus on social media. You guy tried your best....
    08-03-13 10:29 AM
    I'm still looking into channels. signed up for beta just haven't installed it yet. When I do I don't mind doing it. Social media is far more public anyway and will attract more people than the channel I would say.
    08-03-13 10:34 AM
    I think after more than two years of promises, delays, more promises, and more disappointments, rinse and repeat, folks are just running out of steam.
    Well I can see that. Can't blame anyone for feeling that way. It's just a real hard hit for any PlayBook users out there, as you well know of course. The momentum has slowed here quite a bit. I don't really have anything new to post in the social media sites regarding any progress being made here. Anyone created that petition yet?
    08-03-13 10:50 PM
    Meant to say in my previous post, the reason I never used the playbook for ages was that it seemed pointless installing stuff and getting all my settings and folders the way I want them when I was convinced Bb10 was coming and would have to totally wipe at some point.
    Heck I was going to "go all into" the PlayBooks OS internals (Root or JailBreak the device) - Heard this QNX was some kind of Super OS...

Decided against it as long story short to paint a picture unlike a Android , Apple or Windows? device you can basically fit the number of people in the world that have a interest in rooting the device, and a in-depth working knowledge of the OS on a "HEAD OF A PIN" so to speak.
    (Remember the PlayBook was marketed towards Business /Corporate use, NOT the consumer market and the PRICE of the PlayBook until it dropped scared off a lot of "hackers" and modders as well.)

FunFact:
    Very few PlayBooks got "rooted for reasons noted above, and add the frankly ****-poor app selection... crappy browser, etc .
    Add to this upon "First "Boot" /First powering up all PlayBooks were auto-programed to update so most PlayBooks bought at a reasonable price received a 2.xxx "update" that encrypted the bootloader? which totally locked down the PlayBook.. with No option out of the box to delay the update unless you followed a very specific workaround. All of this making PlayBooks owners totally dependent in BlackBerry to the Ninth degree, plus some.
    EG: All fixes, patches, workarounds- any improvements to the OS, built in apps having to come from the Great all knowing BlackBerry.

(And we can see how that worked out, eh?)

That and I read, that once BB10 came to the PlayBook words to the effect that a way to root it would "happen".

Disclaimer: I have not been following the rooting section for the last 9+ months, sort of a mute point for me without lack of a better word an "optimized" version of BB10 made specifically for the PlayBook, so it may be possible to "root" one of the phone versions of a early version of BB10, in which not much works.
    08-04-13 02:43 AM
    In my opinion bbm chanel won't work, you should focus on social media. You guy tried your best....
    I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or BBM Channels. (My wife's sister does Facebook and they went on vacation - and their house got robbed.)

Some have suggested BlackBerry ID being posted:
    With that someone can Video chat you, right? I can see alot of people not wanting to post that publicly.

(Edit: I think the story of BlackBerry knowing way back in Sep-2012 BB10 needed2gb needs to be posted on Non-BlackBerry sites as well. I would think HP TouchPad owners would be interested and could give BlackBerry a earful. Think the story needs to get on other OS boards as well (I know you hardcore QNX/BB OS guys hate Android, IOS, Windows but if we could get those guys on board with the way BlackBerry has done to the PlayBook it couldn't hurt. Everyone can relate to being told one thing, only to be told something totally different at later date... and that info is always in the favor of the identity you are interacting with.)

Anyhow,
    How any PO'd PlayBook owners live near Waterloo Canada?

Best thing to bring it into the media spotlight is to frankly being as professional as possible is to organize a protest.

Say for example people sit in the roadway blocking access to /from the parking lot of BlackBerry Headquarters, chaining themselves to trees, that type of stuff. Nonviolent stuff of course, but behavior that disrupts or brings MEDIA attention to what they have done.

Talking all nice to BlackBerry isn't likely to bear fruit. My impression of BlackBerry is they have done their homework on ALL of this.

What I think they did not account for is the numbers of "First time Buyers OF BlackBerry product" like me who the ONLY reason for buying RIM/BLACKBERRY branded PlayBook product was assurances it would get updated to a current OS model. Like the what 80% of the people in the world who do not own a BlackBerry phone I have no brand loyalty to BlackBerry.

At the time I made my $4,000 worth of purchases:
    Word on the street was:
    Rim/BlackBerry basically failing, projected they'd not last much longer (The device division, in which CEO HEINS is closing 2 of the 4 factories FYI..

Devices not "cool", hip, more business tool type devices. Boring, etc.

The PlayBook hardware wise was decent and had a good build quality, but a unfriendly OS from a consumer perspective. (Poor App Selection)

PlayBook was very unpopular as a consumer device, having a high return rate (Most cited reason after a native e-client and calender was added in), Lack of APPs, poor selection, and checking boarding/slow browser.

Only "Plus" was it would emulate /run Android apps...Alas via a clunky sideloading process in which apps have to be converted, manually "Side Loaded", only to find out most won't run. :-(

That and statements made saying if BB10 Devices weren't successful all bets were off- we'd never see BB10 on the PlayBook.

For me it was weighing the above against the EASY route- With a Google Nexus 7 or one of the other tablets I was considering I'd have instant access to say 100 versions of whatever app I desired, if 1 didn't work out I could try another.
    Apps sourced from businesses you interact with:
    To be frank everyone and their brother has Android , IOS, Windows apps, go to any business these days... About .2 percent of Businesses out there would maybe list they had a app for a PlayBook available. Of those .2 percent I found listing a PlayBook app I wanted... the links turned out to be DEAD.

Another aspect that weighed heavily on my mind prior to purchase is unlike a Android, IOS OS powered device in which you probably have 20,000,000 people around the world that have "Rooted, or "JailBroken" the device which gives them the ability to go into the file system and modify, or adjust various behaviors , is there are VERY few PlayBooks out there that got "Rooted"... and there's only literally a handful of people in the world that are sharing their knowledge of the QNX OS the PlayBook uses.

So for me "Buying BlackBerry" was a hard choice.

I personally would like to see about 10% of owners of the last 100,000 or 200,000? of PlayBooks sold with the assurances it would be updated to BB10 throwing their abandoned EOL PlayBooks (Or rotten fruit) in the direction of BlackBerry headquarters at a high rate of speed. (Hey I'm returning this thing to you, here you go "catch".)

msps, Barracuda7772, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    08-04-13 04:46 AM
    *** REQUEST FOR SUPPORT ***

Anyone else willing to step in here - action is to create a petition on http://www.change.org/petition and to get >1000 PB users to support that petition before it will be send to BB. This is the "friendly" reminder for BB as suggested by some of the contributors on this thread.

I could think of reusing wording from above -->
    Receiver: BlackBerry
    Title: Support BB Playbook by providing further Operating System upgrades
    Details: The aim is for BlackBerry to update the Playbook OS, in keeping with the company's own promises. This is to achieve a positive outcome for everyone involved, the Playbook owners and the company.
    They'll ignore it anyway.
    08-04-13 06:59 PM
    They'll ignore it anyway.
    Thanks for your supportive engagement.

Anways - there is a new opportunity for everyone to help moving forward - the writer of the press release does need some input for her research - can you please join the forces and support here:
    1. What is exactly the PlayBook history (when was it released and when came the 2.0 upgrade)?
    2. How many PBs have been sold in total - no estimates we need facts?
    3. The BB promise to bring BB10 to playbook - dates, sources (BB press releases and official statements, vidos, articles, ...)?
    4. Any other hard facts that could be of any significance for our case?

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

PS: I agree with some other comments that this initiative can only be successfull if one of the channels have a serious amount of followers - let's concentrate on twitter and spread the word - with under 1000 followers we will not be heard by BB and toronto9696 will unfortunately be right with his latest statement.
    08-05-13 03:19 AM
    Just to add my possibly final 2c:
    If you still were to petition them, something like the following (quickly improvised) might suffice:
    We, the Playbook user community, understand there will be no significant upgrade to the Playbook OS. While we obviously regret this, we would like you to at least consider fixing some outstanding issues to the current OS and its default applications or perhaps open up the code to the applications so the community could try fixing themselves.
    Followed by the outcome of the two polls.
    Hoping to resolve this in a friendly manner as we are very much devoted to our Playbooks and would love to be able to continue using them, (...)
    Or something like that
    FF22 and AWB70 like this.
    08-05-13 03:33 AM
    I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or BBM Channels. (My wife's sister does Facebook and they went on vacation - and their house got robbed.)
    No hostility meant, but I love when people blame stuff like this on Facebook. It's the people advertising they were going away, not a Facebook issue. In pre-facebook days, would you put up fliers in public telling people you were going away and your house was going to be empty? It's the equivalent to doing that. It's someone not using common sense and doing something stupid. It's not the fault of social media.

Back on topic, it would be fantastic if some things were addressed with the OS like improving the web browser, and improving some of the apps like the stock Podcast app. It would keep my Playbook usable for a long time. Unfortunately, it's wishful thinking. My experiences with BB over the last few years have been with my girlfriend being a Blackberry user, and me being a Playback user. In that time, and through my dealings with their customer support, I never got the slightest impression that they give a crap about their userbase. Never mind give a crap about users of a product they have discontinued.
    08-05-13 11:14 AM

Anways - there is a new opportunity for everyone to help moving forward - the writer of the press release does need some input for her research - can you please join the forces and support here:
    1. What is exactly the PlayBook history (when was it released and when came the 2.0 upgrade)?
    3. The BB promise to bring BB10 to playbook - dates, sources (BB press releases and official statements, vidos, articles, ...)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_PlayBook is your friend
    Your item 1:

"BlackBerry PlayBook was released in Canada and USA on April 19, 2011; in the UK] and the Netherlands on June 16, 2011; and was released in the United Arab Emirates on June 25, 2011.

The Playbook OS 2.0 was released on February 21, 2012. The software update added integrated native email, calendar, and contact apps. It also included visual changes to the operating system, support for a variety of Android applications and also brought three new applications built into the OS: Press Reader, a newspaper reader; News, an RSS reader; and Print To Go, which can be used to send documents from a PC to the PlayBook. BBM (aka BlackBerry Messenger) support was not included with the 2.0 update, although BlackBerry intends to support BBM in a future update. BBM is still supported through the BlackBerry Bridge software, allowing users to continue to have access to it while bridged to their BlackBerry smartphone.

On October 3, 2012, BlackBerry released Playbook OS 2.1."

Your item 2:
    data on number shipped - c. 2.5 million (sourced to BB press releases)

Your item 3:
    "On January 30, 2013, BlackBerry confirmed that both the Wi-Fi PlayBook and the newer cellular PlayBooks would be receiving an update to the new BlackBerry 10 operating system in 2013.

On June 28, 2013, the company announced that plans to bring BlackBerry 10 to the PlayBook were canceled sparking fears of the device's potential scrapping. According to BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins, multiple teams had spent "a great deal of time and energy" investigating ways to bring the OS to the device. Ultimately, Heins intervened to cancel the project citing his dissatisfaction with the "level of performance and user experience". While no immediate decisions over the device's future are certain, Heins did promise BlackBerry would "support PlayBook on the existing software platforms and configurations.”

N.B. Haven't checked sources
    AWB70 and schwede like this.
    08-05-13 12:49 PM

PS: I agree with some other comments that this initiative can only be successfull if one of the channels have a serious amount of followers - let's concentrate on twitter and spread the word - with under 1000 followers we will not be heard by BB and toronto9696 will unfortunately be right with his latest statement.
    Re item 4: numerous twitter releases from Blackberry offices indicated BB10 was coming to the PB soon/next few weeks etc.
    08-05-13 12:50 PM
    excellent work! By all, posting the timelines of how the decision was made on @savetheplaybook would be a nice reminder of why people are so miffed. If it would fir that is, there probably is a way. I notice the people who say get over it don't have a playbook. If it was their Z10 though it woukd be a different story!
    08-05-13 04:11 PM
826 ... 89101112 ...