Hi guys,

I was reading a related thread where it was suggested that some form of protest should be carried out to let BlackBerry know how ticked off its loyal customers are over the PlayBook affair.

Now the protest mentioned was obviously not meant to be taken seriously as it was that a pile of PlayBooks should be burned outside BlackBerry HQ. Then the OP mentioned of course than wouldn't happen and so mentioned burning the boxes of course that is totally unrealistic never mind illegal also.

However the little pixie in my head went into overtime and I thought what about mailing our empty PlayBook boxes to BlackBerry as a sign of our dissatisfaction of how BlackBerry handled the entire PlayBook chapter.

It would be a relatively cheap yet physical sign of the unhappiness felt by PlayBook purchasers. I think it would need significant numbers to commit to it but it could be done and if it did nothing else it would give some sense of satisfaction knowing that a physical protest was registered.

I have a few ideas on the finer points should this idea move forward however I would like to sound out the group on their thoughts on this in principle??????

Maybe I'm mad. Feel free to say so...

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    msps likes this.
    07-30-13 08:51 AM
    Well. Does everyone think BlackBerry is going to listen?

No.

First of all, BlackBerry is not a consumer friendly company.

Their legacy is making secure hardware, bunch of phone & email patents and qwerty phone patents.

Their software team is still in 80s, where you run programs without OS or with light weight OS.

If you look back, they started working seriously on their software, only after iPhones and Android pose a serious threat.

So, initially they continued their Java based software with OS 4.x with Pearl devices. They continued with OS 5.x, 6.x and 7.x, all are Java based.

They still could not compete with iPhones and Androids. So, they migrated to C++ based platform for the first time, by acquiring QNX. Poor decision.

QNX is a microkernel that is good for low-end device or an application specific device, such as Multimedia only devices. QNX is not a right platform for today's smartphones and tablets. Because, today's smartphones are multi-functional devices, that includes Multimedia, communication, various applications in Multitasking environment. With high-end graphics and Multi-tasking, a microkernel system will be slow, 'cos all your device drivers run in user-space.

That's why today's Monolithic (Linux, iOS) / Hybrid (Windows) kernel based systems perform better. BlackBerry can not survive long with QNX based BBOS series. I read somewhere in this forum that one of the user has mentioned that BB10 has 200+ processes running. That's true because, Every driver is a separate userspace process. All the process has to communicate with kernel using IPC (Inter Process Communication) to access the hardware. So, it loads your CPU. Hence require more RAM. That's why the promised PlayBook BB10 did not happen. Their Software team messed up while choosing the right RTOS.

They still suck. So, I pity all BB OS based device buyers. Their software support life cycle is limited.

I was a die hard BlackBerry fan, but the recent history forced me to hate it to the core. Not just PlayBook snub. They abandoned Storm devices too.

I still would say that they are good at making secure hardware, but they don't know how to design efficient software.

Some people were working on exploits as per some threads here in CrackBerry. I wish them success.

But there were lots of hatred towards those who are trying. I really pity them. Cracking a secure device is not like getting in your car, drive 500 miles to drink coffee. It is worse than that. It's like swimming from California to New York in the ocean.

If you don't like their attempts, please don't criticize. If they succeed, it will not lose-lose for anyone. It is win-win for PlayBook owners. It is again win-win for BlackBerry, because, BlackBerry will try to improve on next devices. And our hackers will try buying BlackBerry for exploits. It improves sales. There is nothing in this world that can not be cracked. Just that some are harder to crack.

Finally, BlackBerry would still remain the hardest to crack than other devices. So, people would still buy them for their security.
    FF22 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    07-30-13 09:05 AM
    Hi guys,

I was reading a related thread where it was suggested that some form of protest should be carried out to let BlackBerry know how ticked off its loyal customers are over the PlayBook affair.

Now the protest mentioned was obviously not meant to be taken seriously as it was that a pile of PlayBooks should be burned outside BlackBerry HQ. Then the OP mentioned of course than wouldn't happen and so mentioned burning the boxes of course that is totally unrealistic never mind illegal also.

However the little pixie in my head went into overtime and I thought what about mailing our empty PlayBook boxes to BlackBerry as a sign of our dissatisfaction of how BlackBerry handled the entire PlayBook chapter.

It would be a relatively cheap yet physical sign of the unhappiness felt by PlayBook purchasers. I think it would need significant numbers to commit to it but it could be done and if it did nothing else it would give some sense of satisfaction knowing that a physical protest was registered.

I have a few ideas on the finer points should this idea move forward however I would like to sound out the group on their thoughts on this in principle??????

Maybe I'm mad. Feel free to say so...

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    They'll just burn/hide them

But the idea is great
    How about mailing it to a chosen one particular technology magazine/blog office.

Think of a few catchy headlines they'll come up with after getting thousands boxes
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-30-13 10:33 AM
    sundaraaa:

Interesting info. And also interesting is that in 3.5 years you have only posted 3 times and boy does this one contain substance.
    07-30-13 10:36 AM
    Either he's from an iphone sleeper cell or it's pi**ed him off to the point of making a post ref the boxes, I don't think many people keep them. I used to do it all the time just in case then eventually you realise you will never need them. Has anyone heard from the various things going on from anybody with some weight on the subject? Just curious.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800
    07-30-13 02:36 PM
    Well the silence from BlackBerry is deafening...

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 03:13 PM
    What about crackberry kev, I think I saw a post at some point asking members what thoughts should he pass on to thor but didn't keep up with the post. I guess this will be the elephant in the room though for Crackberry. I have Alec Saunders on Twitter who originally sparked the whole thing off. Don't suppose it would be worth bringing his attention to the polls etc until it has some more people involved. Plus he is just the messenger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800
    schwede likes this.
    07-30-13 03:26 PM
    As I said before, everyone should take a pic of their new choice of tablet and /or phone and tweet the pic to blackberry's twitter account with a few words about their future plans to not buy blackberry products and end it with their playbook's serial number.

Just my suggestion.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR and togardergrosse like this.
    07-30-13 05:43 PM
    Curious, with 1,843 posts under your belt you don't know how to turn off e-mail notifications?

Got a joke that ties in with your question I think.

Q: How do i turn off email notifications???
    A: The PlayBook as released didn't have a stand alone e-mail client - so with BlackBerry's one and only Flagship tablet there is no need to turn off e-mail notifications.

'cuz i normally don't subscribe to threads, but made an exception in the case of this one, so it was never an issue before,,, & w/ only 188 posts under yours, who the h3ll are you to be gettin' all smartassy???
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 07-31-13 at 09:04 AM.
    axllebeer likes this.
    07-30-13 08:37 PM

Got a joke that ties in with your question I think.

I have a bad joke for ya:

< Horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Why the long face!" >
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-30-13 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Laughing at my bad joke...
    07-30-13 08:58 PM
    'cuz i normally don't subscribe to threads, but made an exception in the case of this one, so i was never an issue before,,, & w/ only 188 posts under yours, who the h3ll are you to be gettin' all smartassy???
    I think we're here to help playbook gets some updates, not like this ^
    07-31-13 12:59 AM
    'cuz i normally don't subscribe to threads, but made an exception in the case of this one, so i was never an issue before,,, & w/ only 188 posts under yours, who the h3ll are you to be gettin' all smartassy???

There's no reason to get nasty. Found it strange for someone that has such a high post count asking such.

07-31-13 02:08 AM
    I wish people would channel all their energy to support action as suggested in this thread - there are still activities to be done:

1. Promote the feature polls - still under 100 users - we would need at least a 1000 to get BB to listen to us.
    2. Raise your hand if you can lead activities for a specific country - the press release (which is being drafted centrally) would need to be translated and distributed - all this would need to be prepared.
    07-31-13 03:16 AM
    I think we're here to help playbook gets some updates, not like this ^
    There's no reason to get nasty. Found it strange for someone that has such a high post count asking such.

i normally don't respond that way, but when fired upon, i will fire back...
    07-31-13 09:06 AM
    i normally don't respond that way, but when fired upon, i will fire back...
    Come on guys, no fighting in here. Take it outside (or to another thread) if you can't play nicely!!

AWB70 likes this.
    07-31-13 09:56 AM
    Glad we got that one out the way:thumbup: meanwhile back at the ranch.
    07-31-13 04:05 PM
    Why BlackBerry Killed the PlayBook - BerryFlow
    “So, you PlayBook owners out there – don’t feel soured just yet. While BB10 won’t be coming to PlayBook, it has not been totally abandoned. We could see an incremental update that brings some added features. The OS is already pretty great. Its multitasking method had been copped by Apple for iOS7 and the PlayBook still runs an Android Gingerbread runtime giving you some Android support on board as well. They have built BB10 on PlayBook, it just doesn’t run well on PlayBook. I expect we’ll see that UI next year, unless Santa is more prepared than insiders suggest.”
    What does this guy know that we don't????
    07-31-13 05:28 PM
    Why BlackBerry Killed the PlayBook - BerryFlow
    “So, you PlayBook owners out there – don’t feel soured just yet. While BB10 won’t be coming to PlayBook, it has not been totally abandoned. We could see an incremental update that brings some added features. The OS is already pretty great. Its multitasking method had been copped by Apple for iOS7 and the PlayBook still runs an Android Gingerbread runtime giving you some Android support on board as well. They have built BB10 on PlayBook, it just doesn’t run well on PlayBook. I expect we’ll see that UI next year, unless Santa is more prepared than insiders suggest.”
    What does this guy know that we don't????
    I believe that story is filed by author alphabetically - fiction.
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-31-13 07:00 PM
    Remember march? Thor said that they're working on bb10 on pb, he said that to makes customer comes and buys all the playbook they have left in storage, ofcourse those storage for the Q5
    Robert Roger likes this.
    08-01-13 11:53 AM
    Update. I've lost possession of my BlackBerry. Therefore I'm unable to continue to maintain the BBM channel. If there is another person that wants to take over this responsibility it would be greatly appreciated. Also my personal channel will also not be functional. But I will be following the twitter account created and still maintaining the Save the PlayBook page on Facebook.

Thanks all for your support.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 08-01-13 at 11:36 PM.
    08-01-13 11:07 PM
    Thank you Thorsten
    Robert Roger likes this.
    08-02-13 03:05 AM
    Have you had anything from BlackBerry themselves via twitter?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 03:29 AM
    ... the initial approach should be obviously as friendly as possible...
    Again IMHO
    I am happy to add this as a parallel step into the general approach.

May I suggest the following actions then:
    1. Hirazi Blue to create an online petition on http://www.change.org/petition (detailed guides are available on the site) - due 07. August
    2. PlayBook community to promote the petition via all channels (cb forums, twitter, fb, ....) - ongoing

Aim is to get a significant amount of PB owners to join in (perhaps with BB ID) - it would certainly need to be more than 1000 to get some sort of attention from BB.
    AWB70 likes this.
    08-02-13 06:28 AM
    Update. I've lost possession of my BlackBerry. Therefore I'm unable to continue to maintain the BBM channel. If there is another person that wants to take over this responsibility it would be greatly appreciated. Also my personal channel will also not be functional. But I will be following the twitter account created and still maintaining the Save the PlayBook page on Facebook.

Thanks all for your support.
    Thanks for keeping the Twitter Feed and Facebook running. It could still do with a few more members and comments. Trying my best to promote it as much as possible but I don't have a lot of Twitter followers. I post #savetheplaybook in as many Blackberry related places I can find. One thing I have found unusual when searching for stuff related to the Playbook, you usually get a discussion where features or hardware by other tablet users are mocked. 99% of the time even other tablet users are in agreement that the Playbook was/is one of the better tablets out there. Some companies would give their right arm to have came up with a product that was accepted as being high end by techie people but was marketed so badly by it's creators and mismanaged that it never got a chance. Tonight I want everyone to say to their Playbooks, "it's OK, it wasn't your fault" to help with it's inferiority complex

I believe that story is filed by author alphabetically - fiction.
    Not sure how much weight the information has but after speaking to the guy briefly on twitter he feels the same way as most of us here and is also talking with "people" about the possibility of porting the keyboard and browser over from BB10. I'm not going to pretend I fully understand what that entails but either way he's a useful ally.
    08-02-13 07:25 AM
    May I suggest the following actions then:
    Hirazi Blue to create an online petition
    @schwede - I just tried to send you a private message but failed miserably apparently.
    At this time I won't be able to participate further (in this "Action" I still support BTW).
    Thought it only fair to let you know...
    schwede likes this.
    08-02-13 07:28 AM
826 ... 7891011 ...