The RAM upgrade idea was never going to work, I fully agree, but that wasn't why I support the idea. But I'd have to refer you to the other thread for a better explanation.

Update: where you can now even read an explanation of why I don't think it will work in this manner... Kickstarter Guidelines
    Thanks Hirazi. I would like to keep the concept of paying some flat fee for a software update on the table for now. There is a small chance it may have some legs.
    07-18-13 06:40 AM
    And in the end, that's basically all that's important to the whole idea from my POV, although the additional benefit would have been the "potential' higher profile by throwing such an idea at Kickstarter...
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-18-13 06:43 AM
    Does anyone know if Webkit (html5 apps) has a runtime? Would we benefit from a Webkit SDK update to Playbook, in case developers make Webkit apps for BB10 platform in the future?

Where is @app_developer and @xsacha when you need them...
    07-18-13 06:45 AM
    Does anyone know if Webkit (html5 apps) has a runtime? Would we benefit from a Webkit SDK update to Playbook, in case developers make Webkit apps for BB10 platform in the future?

Where is @app_developer and @xsacha when you need them...
    Can't answer that question, however implementing cascades is possible.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using CB Forums mobile app
    07-18-13 06:54 AM
    Hi Victor,

Well done for trying to het something organised, rather than just moaning and blasting BB.
    As far as I'm concerned, off the top of my head, all I want as far as a software upgrade goes is:
    1) Updated Broswer
    2) BB10 virtual Keyboard
    3) Updated flash
    4) Updated Android runtime
    5) USB OTG (as it seems this is more or less a freebe as far as development effort goes.

6) Some sort of DLNA support would be cool but not something I think I'd use a great deal
    7) Not personally interested in bridge as I don't have a BB phone, but I can see why people are so keen to have functonality restored, however if there are technical reasons why this is not easily 'do-able' then maybe that is too much of a big ask.

If it helps to persuade BB to put the additional effort in then I'd be prepared to pay a small amount no more than 10-15 USD, but would prefer not to, and I don't really think this will make a difference.

I really don't have the spare time right now to play much of an active roll, but I'm going to PM you my email address and maybe I'll be able to help in a small way in the future.

Thanks,

ChrisM.
    07-18-13 07:05 AM
    #1. make activation easy w/o wifi. If i am in a remote location and i can not have wifi then my playbook is a fruitcake.
    #2. stop bluffing to promote sales. its a fraud act. listen to cry of customers.
    #3. root access. hello i am the owner give me my root. i dont like paying rent in my own house.
    #4. remove trash.
    #5. include language support.
    #6. speed up the boot process.
    #7. bridge bridge bridge
    #8. more audio and video codecs
    #9. treat us like grown ups and not lollypop suckers.
    #10. enable better email client
    #11. BBM if possible.
    #12. allow the user to program at your wish. we bought it. you dont own it anymore so let the user customise it.
    #13. no lame tech support. hire efficient ones.
    #14. release the source code, release the bloody code for the OS and not some QNX base alone and the bsp.
    #15. allow users what to install and what not to. dont shove it down a users throat and will.
    #16. dont poke around and reset settings.
    #17. hire better coders
    #18. enable usb-otg
    #19. android/flash/adobe air/adobe reader (optional)
    #20. stop your monopoly allow us to select our default browser.
    #21. this should have been number one to me. GET RID OF CURRENT MANAGEMENT, GET EFFICIENT ONES.
    #22. dont sit there push security updates faster.
    #23. introduce dual mode firmware. one for day to day user w/o much security and encryption and one for dod or corporate or some rich businessman who got his own private plane.
    #24. stop the usual BS.
    #25. stop fooling around.
    #26. linux support and also bsd support. dont bluff QNX is almost same as bsds! so no BS please.
    thanks!
    paul
    p.s. if you think i missed something please correct me and add your issue here.
    I believe #24 about sums everything up. This is a good idea but the People who run BlackBerry probably will not do anything.
    07-18-13 09:00 AM
    @victorsikhman

Great idea!!

I would be happy to see the following updates:

1. Browser update.
    2. Android runtime update.
    3. Power stand-by time out increased from 5 mins.
    4. Flash update
    5. Improved codec support for audio & video.
    6. BBM
    7. Skype

Improved Bridge would be great but I'll get over its absence if I get the above.

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    07-18-13 10:59 AM
    All these wish lists are nice (and the sentiment behind them is fully understandable), but would it perhaps be possible to ascertain which of these features are more realistic to focus on than others? Knowing how realistically feasible and thus likely a browser update would be, for instance...
    07-18-13 11:05 AM
    1. Cascades (ability to run bb10 apps)
    2. Android 4 runtime
    3. Browser
    07-18-13 11:10 AM
    would it perhaps be possible to ascertain which of these features are more realistic to focus on than others?
    I'm trying to get that information. In the meantime, making a list of updates the community would be interested in won't hurt, even if some are less realistic than others. We can have a fall-back position of some "essential" improvements, while also asking for items BB is less likely to implement... if it ever gets to anything like a negotiation stage, which of course is what we're working towards.
    07-18-13 11:16 AM
    One more silly idea: while it is highly unlikely for BB to give us the keys to their OS, wouldn't it be an interesting idea to ask them to place individual PB apps into the "open source", for "home improvement" by the community, so to speak...
    yellowhammer and FoxxBerry like this.
    07-18-13 11:29 AM
    did you close the channel? I can't find it with the name you gave.
    07-18-13 12:46 PM
    One more silly idea: while it is highly unlikely for BB to give us the keys to their OS, wouldn't it be an interesting idea to ask them to place individual PB apps into the "open source", for "home improvement" by the community, so to speak...
    i dont think we will need it. i got the perfect board to work on. and work starts on monday. first thing. remove the signature and crc from SRAM and SROM and WOM inside cpu. this is geek stuffs. geek -> english.
    we are at that stage right now where we can replace the signing keys stored inside the cpu. behold and be patient. your playbooks will be liberated soon.
    :-D pretty soon.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-18-13 12:50 PM
    Here are my top 5

1) Android 4.2.2 runtime
    2) USB-otg
    3) Updated Browser with bugfixes and text's reflow
    4) BBM
    5) possibility to install BB10 bar's files onto the Playbook
    07-18-13 01:01 PM
    i dont think we will need it.
    You know I support your project, but there obviously is quite a difference between hacking your way in and gaining access to the source code of certain apps by asking nicely!
    Open sourced code hopefully would bring some of the more fanatical developers (back) on board as the challenge is different, but probably hard to resist...
    07-18-13 03:47 PM
    I like this, and there isn't much more to add to what's already listed by several people already.

07-18-13 05:12 PM
    All these wish lists are nice (and the sentiment behind them is fully understandable), but would it perhaps be possible to ascertain which of these features are more realistic to focus on than others? Knowing how realistically feasible and thus likely a browser update would be, for instance...
    Good question. I presume none of them. Rim (they can call themselves whatever they want but they are acting like rim) probably furloughed the OS2 PB team or discarded their code so that they could work on BB!10 for the pb.

A better browser with a realized SEARCH function as well as bookmark processes.

A QUESTION MARK on the first page of the keyboard as well as APOSTROPHE.

USB-to-go

I know somewhere that someone mentioned Bridge was too hard to implement in bb10. Implement it anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-18-13 05:21 PM
    Hey Everyone,

The original post has undergone extensive remodeling. Please be sure to check it out. Also, we need people to step up for some of the open positions. There's not a lot of work involved, so be brave and make a commitment. As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Earlier today, Kevin posted the Playbook results from the recent survey. Towards the end, he took a clear stance urging Blackberry to issue an update to the Playbook OS. As he explained, to paraphrase, this is the right thing to do, both for the customers and the company. Given his relationship with Blackberry, I'm sure this was not an easy thing to take a stand on. Sound off in the comments, then come back to this thread and contribute your suggestions for how we can take this campaign forward.

CrackBerry Report Card: PlayBook owners' plea | CrackBerry.com
    07-18-13 06:02 PM
    There are lots of great ideas here. The only additional feature I think I can add that hasn't already been mentioned would be to bring back the concept of themes to the BlackBerry platform. I'd love to see developers not only produce games, but also be able to create amazing themes for tablets and phones that could potentially even mirror or interact with eachother using bridge. I thought I remembered seeing previews of cascades that showed multiple PlayBooks that had a demo playing on their screens, but they were all linked to one another. I'm thinking of that, but on a smaller scale of just your phone to your tablet. I think there's a lot of potential with Cascades that we're still not seeing on our devices. Depending on the limitations of the technology, I could see these "themes" potentially having social aspects as well that could allow low level interactions between devices with compatible "themes".
    Oh, an additional bridge feature I would like to see is the integration of the phone as a game pad for the tablet. Touchscreen phones and physical keyboard phones alike could develop as next generation gaming pads.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:52 PM
    Bluetooth controller support!
    91300zx likes this.
    07-18-13 11:04 PM
    Here we go, the "Save the PlayBook" Channel is now live.

Channel PIN: C000EAA94
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook Community Action Thread-c000eaa94_barcode-20savethepb.png   Playbook Community Action Thread-capture12_32_26.jpg  
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-19-13 at 11:33 AM.
    07-18-13 11:30 PM
    I would recommend to differentiate between two categories of feature requests:
    A. Enduser requests (bridge, Skype, BBM, virtual keyboard, Hub, ...)
    B. Developer requests (USB OTG, Jelly Beans, Cascades, ...)

While the majority of participants in this thread seems to be tec savvy most of the x millions of PlayBook owners are just pure endusers. Those endusers (like me) dont even know what USB OTG is about and why people are asking for Android ("I have a Blackberry device and not an Android device - so I dont need Android at all").

Could the feature request list be organised in that way?
    ViBogdan likes this.
    07-19-13 01:38 AM
    Just provide the last BB10 version they developed as an optional update down grade able to os2.1

It exists, doesn't it?
    They had teams working on it for months, didn't they.
    Dev alphas older than PlayBook LTE run BB10

The last developed version of BB10 for PlayBook please.

No new work required.
    No cost involved
    AlexXF likes this.
    07-19-13 02:17 AM
    Just provide the last BB10 version they developed as an optional update down grade able to os2.1

It exists, doesn't it?
    They had teams working on it for months, didn't they.
    That is the question that should be answerable by "YES, we have it and there it is"... or, "NO, we cannot give it to you due to confidently issue" (or whatsoever)... or perhaps, because it is never existed... at all...

Do you really believe that they tried it?...

Posted via Z10
    07-19-13 02:51 AM
    I'm going to jump into this thread now. I do feel peeved at not getting BB10, but I have to admit I felt quite fortunate when I heared the PB was going to get it. But ultimately I feel very annoyed that in not getting BB10, no substiture or original upgrade plan will be executed. Leaving the PB in its current state effectively does kill it off as who is going to spend time developing for it?

This will be reiterating other people's opinion, but I see the best possible outcomes as either (a) freeing the playbook so a developer community can do with it what they please (which appears to be being attempted - best of luck to all those doing it!) or (b) providing enough of an update that PB can piggyback off Android and BB10 success to not be completely left out (even if that means some apk-bar'ing about).

So my requests are all on the Developer side and overlap with those above:

1. Android 4.2.x runtime
    2. Ensuring that the android runtime has full access to the playbooks camera etc so the community/developers can spend the effort getting apps to work
    3. Cascades
    4. USB OTG

I feel with the above items 1,2,3 then the community will be able to find a way to get the better browser experience (although Fast Browser does the trick for me in the majority of my cases).

Item 4 would be icing as again it would also get a bugbear out of the room and let people connect up sd card readers.

Even if they release the above as a beta version with no warranty that would like suit the majority of people would it?

In an absolutely ideal world (and it is beyond my tech ability as to if this could work or how this could work) they would give us the tools to be able to update the android runtime ourself, so as 5.x etc comes out, some bright spark could create a file that could be uploaded to update the runtime.
    07-19-13 02:59 AM
826 1234 ...