I'm afraid it's not looking hopeful. The last ditch attempts would be the possibility that the new management reshuffle might have some blood in it who are aware that there is discontent among users regarding customer satisfaction and willing to throw a few quid at it as a gesture to future bb10 upgraders who didn't because of the whole playbook saga.
    Having used my playbook far more lately than I did because I was waiting for bb10 the conclusions I have drew are all the things regarding the os are staying, keyboard etc. However, the last two things, which I feel are the most important right now and are still doable are....
    Full bridge functionality, bridge is something that is still being worked on. Whether they would spend any time making it work better on the PlayBook is another thing. Bear in mind that they didn't have to get BBM working for the PlayBook via bridge on the last update but it must still at least be active in their agenda and they are aware that the PlayBook still exists.
    The other being the runtime, there are two options here. Both I have posted about, the dalvik which is run online so in effect would require a link from the PlayBook and blackberry would have to pay a licence fee which probably isn't going to happen. Requires little from BlackBerry other than obviously the fee as essentially the runtime runs from a virtual machine online do doesn't need built into the device. I pad users use it to access android app.
    The other being installing the files so that the new runtime would be compatible with the PlayBook. If this were to happen, blackberry could then push the new run time to our devices as seen with bb10 phones.
    If we were going to push for anything the latter would probably be the most likely albeit highly unlikely. Having an updated runtime would increase the PlayBook longevity the most. If I could get newer side loads I would put up with everything else.

Unless there's some major commercial changes with the new management I don't see a tablet coming any time soon. They are focusing right now on the Z30 which is a sort of tablet. Or, Phablet as they are calling it. I think in the future they may change their minds on this one though if they have any sense. The tablet market is still very strong, people still want something that slips nicely in their pocket to make calls with and something that fits in a bag with a larger screen.
    The other big three are still heading in that direction and I guess many, many people buy their phone because it goes with their tablet regardless.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:17 AM
    Well on the lighter side of life, just received a free PlayBook in the mail, so I'm a happy guy.

Sent from my SM-T217S using CB Forums mobile app
    11-06-13 01:09 AM
    just received a free PlayBook in the mail
    At least now you know it will be worth every penny...
    11-06-13 04:00 AM
    So, following on from what I said earlier, I was reading that the new ceo is aware of crackberry, reads the posts and that loyal customers are is main concern. Also adds that without devices blackberry is nothing so he has no intentions of doing away with them. Then rumours of a playbook 2.
    I'm liking him already, another push anyone!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 02:06 PM
    The new CEO has his very own PR manager, or so it would seem...
    11-07-13 02:21 PM
    He's making all the right noises for me reading the q&a with Kevin. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be a gob****e. Or is that just a UK term? It means someone who talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk just in cast.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 02:34 PM
    Lest we forget (and that proved to be hard enough back then):
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook Community Action Thread-onebrandava.jpg  
    11-07-13 02:50 PM
    I hope Chen is as good as they say, because everytime I put my trust in herr heins I got burned hence why I'm not using windows phone 8. Bit I bought in low end so I'm not really invested in the platform but so far I'm really liking windows phone 8. the metro/modern UI really is fantastic. and the keyboard while not swiftkey it still destroys the stock android keyboard even the iPhone keyboard cannot compete in my opinion

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    11-08-13 06:06 AM
    Just for the heck of it: let's start a grassroots movement to get mister Heins back... Nobody asked us, if we wanted him removed (we did, but that's another story).
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-08-13 08:57 AM
    How are your PlayBooks doing?

Any other news on a new PlayBook or a new PlayBook OS? I guess BlackBerry has other priorities right now ...
    01-14-14 05:17 AM
    I have no recent news to report, but my new PlayBook is doing just fine thank you for asking.
    01-14-14 11:38 PM
    My playbook has been having sporadic meltdowns as of late. May have to reload. But otherwise battery life is still fantastic and for having fun with the sdk it's quite good haha.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:58 PM
    Appr. 6 months have gone by since the climax of this thread ....

... and we have seen significant changes:
    • A new management has taken over.
    • BBRY situation has been stabilized.
    • It becomes clear that the PB hardware specs would be sufficient to run a reduced version of BB10.

Anyone willing (??) to think/plan/execute another set of actions to:
    A. Understand BBRY's plan for the PlayBook.
    B. Get involved to prioritise potential upgrades.
    02-18-14 03:22 AM
    Appr. 6 months have gone by since the climax of this thread ....

... and we have seen significant changes:
    • A new management has taken over.
    • BBRY situation has been stabilized.
    • It becomes clear that the PB hardware specs would be sufficient to run a reduced version of BB10.

Anyone willing (??) to think/plan/execute another set of actions to:
    B. Get involved to prioritise potential upgrades.
    Not wanting to sound too negative, but I am pretty certain the overall stance by the management towards the Playbook hasn't changed. If it had, they would have "broadcast" their intentions by now.
    You know the saying: "It's dead, Jim!"
    johnnyuk likes this.
    02-18-14 04:15 AM
    It becomes clear that the PB hardware specs would be sufficient to run a reduced version of BB10.
    Clear? Do you know how to reduce BB10's RAM requirements by a good half a GB?

There is no plan for PlayBook. It's End of Life.

10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    02-18-14 04:32 AM
    Clear? Do you know how to reduce BB10's RAM requirements by a good half a GB?

There is no plan for PlayBook. It's End of Life.

Behind the times..............10.2.1.2102 Vodafone UK
    02-18-14 07:23 AM
    Behind the times..............10.2.1.2102 Vodafone UK
    Hardly behind the times mate, I'm a BESAdmin who meets with BlackBerry frequently as part of my job.

Do you know how BB10 can be cut down by another half a GB so it is at least as usable on the PlayBook as it will be with the 1.5GB RAM that the Jakarta phone (Z3/Z5) is going to have?

If you do then please let me know and I'll pass the info on to BlackBerry, because they sure don't know!

StLouisMan2 likes this.
    02-18-14 02:52 PM
    I love my Playbook still, still using my preordered 32gb original Playbook. I have defended it time and time again, and now I must say, I to think it's a dead hope. My Playbook gets used Daily, for many purposes. I hope devs will continue to support to the Playbook but I beleive that too will soon die off. I wish more then anything BlackBerry and RIM would pick the project back up and go further but doubt it. I don't even care if it does get OS10 or not, I just hope they continue to build on the existing OS to allow us to continue to use them, and developers continue to make apps for the beloved PlayBooks.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 03:17 PM
    Hardly behind the times mate, I'm a BESAdmin who meets with BlackBerry frequently as part of my job.

Do you know how BB10 can be cut down by another half a GB so it is at least as usable on the PlayBook as it will be with the 1.5GB RAM that the Jakarta phone (Z3/Z5) is going to have?

If you do then please let me know and I'll pass the info on to BlackBerry, because they sure don't know!

Heartwarming, isn't it, true community spirit?
    In other words: lighten up a little...
    02-18-14 03:25 PM
    I think the OS is fine, but I still want the big 3 updates on the PlayBook 1. BB10 Android Runtime 2. BB10 Browser 3. Bridge Hub.

'Bridge Hub' loophole was found by a PlayBook Bridge User. Anyone know if the loophole was something they were officially working on as part of Bridge development and the loophole got released in the Bridge update???

Keep the Faith!!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    axllebeer likes this.
    02-18-14 03:49 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that because of memory limitations, it is virtually impossible to rework the BB10 OS to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook? That is, it was designed to run on phones with different memory configurations, for example?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-18-14 03:59 PM
    Please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that because of memory limitations, it is virtually impossible to rework the BB10 OS to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook? That is, it was designed to run on phones with different memory configurations, for example?

BB10, or BBX as it was originally, was designed initially to run on phones with 1GB of RAM as that's what the prototypes of the Z10 had in 2012.

During 2012, rightly or wrongly, the OS grew to require more than 1GB of RAM in order to run more than a few apps as Active Frames at a time. BlackBerry designed BB10 to hold everything that is running on the CPU in RAM at the same time, in a similar architecture to a desktop computer OS only without any virtual RAM or a hybrid system of task suspension with an API for background tasks like iOS. That design choice eats up a lot of RAM when you are using the device for a few things at the same time.

That's why the phone that launched have all had 2GB of RAM so far. You can just about get by if you don't over do the 'multitasking' with 1.5GB of RAM and don't keep too many browser tabs open, so the Z3/Z5 phone should be OK.

There are people on this forum who unfortunately have ended up with BB10 phones with 1GB of RAM that weren't intended to be used by the public, pre-release phones that were originally meant only for BlackBerry employees to use internally. They report that their phones can run 3 or so apps at a time before they start to force-close but it very much depends on the app and what it's RAM requirements are.

My own Z10 for example, activated on my BES10 server with a Work space, uses 1.1GB of RAM just to start up so if my Z10 only had 1GB of RAM it wouldn't even be able to boot.

There are things that could be cut out of BB10 that a PlayBook wouldn't need such as the mobile network radio stack and the phone app, but any more reclaiming of RAM would need costly development time and may lead to a reduction in functionality compared to the phone version of BB10. If PlayBook had sold tens of millions it might have been worth it but for an End of Life product that didn't sell well it just isn't going to happen.

Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-20-14 at 12:00 PM.
    StLouisMan2 and Hirazi Blue like this.
    02-18-14 05:12 PM
    JohnnyUK,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this.

02-18-14 08:32 PM
    but for and End of Life product that didn't sell well it just isn't going to happen
    QFA and especially quoted to emphasize we don't need
    another pointless round of "we want BB10" to result out of this.
    02-19-14 05:34 AM
    Maybe mosey on over to the blackberry 10 on PlayBook thread lol

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    02-19-14 06:26 AM
826 ... 2930313233 ...