I use my PlayBook at church running the eMmanuel+ app! when I preach I use that and powerpoint to present =D
    01-04-12 12:32 AM
    is there an ibreviary app or equivalent for playbook? thanks in advance.
    Yes, there is. I have side-loaded the android version of ibreviary on my PB (running OS 2.0.6149). It works, but the screen is not optimized for the PB. When held in portrait mode, the psalms all line up fine, but the margins for the prayers are very wide and one has to scroll horizontally to read the whole thing.

I like the divine office site (www.divineoffice.org) as a double-tap on the psalm will make it fit the screen perfectly. I've written to ask them to port the app over to PB, but haven't heard back.

God bless you!
    01-04-12 01:00 AM
    I'm an Anglican priest in western Manitoba. I'm a former IT guy, so I've used the PB for a while now too for various things. I'm evaluating it right now to see if I can use it to drive a large TV for hymns and the like. I've also got both the BCP and BAS on it. I'd like to use it more, but I'm still trying to figure out how I can use it and celebrate the Eucharist at the same time! fortunately, I'm blessed with a parish that puts up with me and my techie ways.
    I'm a Catholic priest, and while I'm not anxious to use the PB for the Eucharist, I know that there are some who use tablets on the altar as a Missal. I don't know the Anglican ritual sources, but they doubtless exist. God bless you.
    01-04-12 01:14 AM
    i always bring my playbook to church. Worship hymn book, emmanuel bible are totally just awesome. My pastor sends docs of sermon outlines and pdfs as well. I can take four spiritual laws to out reach too! works awesomely
    01-04-12 01:38 AM
    Now that shows its versatile for all kinds of jobs!
    Great News!
    01-04-12 03:44 AM
    I have typed my sermons on my PlayBook and I have dragged and dropped them to my Playbook from my computer. With multi-tasking it is easy to project a PowerPoint presentation, run eMmanuel and Word to go. I find that it makes me more efficient from the pulpit.
    01-04-12 06:32 AM
    Hey whats wrong with using Tablets in church? The 10 commandments were written on two tablets, not one but two ask Moses!! I use mine in church all the time e-Mmanuel is by far the best bible app, very loaded, groovynotes to take your sermon notes and backup to dropbox, even voice notes.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-04-12 07:01 AM
    I am a pastor and I have my Playbook with me every time I go. I show it off to my congregation every chance I get. But we still allow people with iPads because there God still loves them.
    Too funny!!!
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-04-12 07:17 AM
    Using a tablet in church seems a little over the top, even for pastors. Seriously, I doubt that God is amused...
    As a pastor myself, I am curious why you think that a creative God would disapprove of the use of technology. People often forget that the book is a form of technology. Originally the Bible was written on scrolls, but later put into codex (book) form. If technology helps us worship God better (i.e. using powerpoint, instruments, lighting) then it would not dishonor God unless it distracts from worshipping Him. I use my playbook as a presentation device when I preach, but I don't talk about it. I do encourage the use of any device that helps you follow along and see the text (i.e. through larger print). In the end I think it just matters that we read and obey the Bible. God bless!
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-04-12 07:27 AM
    I would also recommend users try the YouVersion app or website, as well as biblia.com. I use Logos Bible software and can access my entire library from biblia.com as well as any books purchased from Vyrso Christian bookstore. One of the reasons I am running os2 beta is so that I can use the Kindle app. I promote YouVersion often because of its Bible reading plans and accountability. It will kindly email you when you get behind and help you catch up. Logos and Vyrso have android apps that I have tried to convert, but they crashed when launched. If anyone else can get them working, please share the .bar files. They can be found at logos.com and vyrso.com.
    01-04-12 07:43 AM
    I am deacon in my church and use my (2.0 beta) PB running YouVersion as my Bible. I have also used it to teach Sunday School and take notes and do research during committee meetings. We have Wifi, so it makes it really easy.
    01-04-12 07:55 AM
    What a cool thread!

I'm no longer using Blackberry devices (heresy, I know). I've purchased a copy of Logos Bible Software (and it's truly outstanding - I purchased the lowest-tiered Catholic study package, and it's loaded with resources), which I use to prepare apologetics lessons on my MacBook. The lessons automatically sync to Logos on my iPad 2 (16GB WiFi-only model), so I can carry that with me to class instead of my MacBook. I need to switch to something with a data connection, so I'm considering a Motorola XYBoard, but the price is a bit high.

I would love it if everyone in my class had a tablet. I'd love to avoid printing copies of my lessons if at all possible!

And I'd probably have gotten a PlayBook if I could run Logos on it without having to sideload!
    01-04-12 08:17 AM
    Hey whats wrong with using Tablets in church? The 10 commandments were written on two tablets, not one but two ask Moses!! I use mine in church all the time e-Mmanuel is by far the best bible app, very loaded, groovynotes to take your sermon notes and backup to dropbox, even voice notes.
    What church do you go to? Curious.
    01-04-12 08:20 AM
    Yes, there is. I have side-loaded the android version of ibreviary on my PB (running OS 2.0.6149). It works, but the screen is not optimized for the PB.. When held in portrait mode, the psalms all line up fine, but the margins for the prayers are very wide and one has to scroll horizontally to read the whole thing.
    I'm a bit OCD/Asperger-ish about things like that. I can't stand when things don't line up properly! I'd rather have apps designed to run on a particular platform instead of sideloading them, so I've started using my Galaxy Tab instead. I tried a Playbook and just couldn't get used to not having native Kindle and Logos apps on the device, so I'm alternating back and forth between the iPad and Galaxy Tab (7" model is much easier for e-reading).

God bless you, Father, and thanks for sharing!
    01-04-12 08:29 AM
    I'm a Catholic priest, and while I'm not anxious to use the PB for the Eucharist, I know that there are some who use tablets on the altar as a Missal. I don't know the Anglican ritual sources, but they doubtless exist. God bless you.
    This past Sunday, Father read the consecration to the BVM on his iPhone
    01-04-12 08:33 AM
    For those running the OS2 and the Kindle app, i would like to recommend Osnova Study bible from Amazon. Its really good with some very good easy study guides that will take you through the bible in a year with ease. Kindle has a built in dictionary which is very helpful, and the Osnova bible has a bible reference which hyperlinks to other bible verse hyperlinks for each verse, this is really helpful for searching out and digging deeper in bible study
    01-04-12 08:38 AM
    What church do you go to? Curious.
    I worship in the Redeemed Christian Church of God, a pentecostal church originating from Nigeria, with parishes worldwide. I'm also a missionary and a drug abuse counselor, in a faith based free drug abuse rehab centre in Nigeria.

Now i'm curious, you?
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-04-12 08:57 AM
    You have to remember that Moses had tablets. Granted, they were larger than the Playbook, and probably a lot heavier, but he didn't have to worry about battery life. Nice to see technology come along...
    01-04-12 09:11 AM
    At my church you'll see everything. 1st it starting with people using cell phones (blackberry and iphones) to follow along scripture readings and to take notes. Last year came the onslaught of the tablet devices. I'm the only one I see with a playbook, but there are quite a few other tablets being used. In addition, the church just installed free wifi. Yep...pretty awesome!
    PG923 likes this.
    01-04-12 10:21 AM
    I worship in the Redeemed Christian Church of God, a pentecostal church originating from Nigeria, with parishes worldwide. I'm also a missionary and a drug abuse counselor, in a faith based free drug abuse rehab centre in Nigeria.

Now i'm curious, you?
    Is that Adeboye's church?

Grew up attending CPM in Ajao Estate way back when.
    01-04-12 10:56 AM
    Great to see so many church-goers on Crackberry!
    Thanks for everyone who is supporting e-Mmanuel, I'm really thrilled that it's being used at church by so many people including pastors. I do use e-Mmanuel myself at church, with the notes function for quick snippets. I sometimes multitask with Word-to-go if I want to take more detailed notes, or just want to jot things down first to organize later.

Originally I wrote e-Mmanuel because I got sick of waiting for Youversion to come to PlayBook. Now I only hope I can continue to provide a good alternate once they arrive!
    BTW, make sure to grab 3.5.1 which just came out last night, it finally has portrait mode support
    01-04-12 10:58 AM
    Great to see so many church-goers on Crackberry!
    Thanks for everyone who is supporting e-Mmanuel, I'm really thrilled that it's being used at church by so many people including pastors. I do use e-Mmanuel myself at church, with the notes function for quick snippets. I sometimes multitask with Word-to-go if I want to take more detailed notes, or just want to jot things down first to organize later.

Originally I wrote e-Mmanuel because I got sick of waiting for Youversion to come to PlayBook. Now I only hope I can continue to provide a good alternate once they arrive!
    BTW, make sure to grab 3.5.1 which just came out last night, it finally has portrait mode support
    You should expand to other platforms.
    01-04-12 11:01 AM
    God bless you all!

The Tablet and the Burning Blackberry Bush, Moses sure had foresight!

Now what about Software QNX 2.0 etc.

Cos so far I have stayed faithful to my Playbook, I have not transgressed to date but the evil Dingleberry is seducing me to un-install, Root and re-install thy Playbook in search of greater freedom.

RIM deliver me from this temptation for I am weak!
    NaijaBerry likes this.
    01-04-12 11:32 AM
    Is that Adeboye's church?

Grew up attending CPM in Ajao Estate way back when.
    Ah yes it is! Great! Cheers!
    01-04-12 11:35 AM
    Wow this thread has hit 10 pages and there's been no flames, arguments, or name calling...I don't think that's happened around here in a long time! This thread is a great example of what brought me to CrackBerry in the first place - community (well, that, and a BlackBerry device needing some help!)

I've been investigating tablets for a while now, have been wanting to go paperless, but had no idea until this thread, just how awesome the PB can be for ministry. Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge here.
    01-04-12 01:04 PM
245 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD