Yup I couldn't agree with you more. I am an EMS Instructor. I told my wife I bought the Playbook for our daughter (got her hooked on the dolls, but she still wants the PB, so now I have to get another one), used the PB for my classes. I run the EMS Slides via the USB Dongle to the wireless Projector. Sometimes I connect directly through Bluetooth(depends on the client)

The first day I did it, a guy asked me if it was a new iPad. So I showed him what it really was. Afterwards I gave him 5 presentations to complete in 3 days for his transgressions. I met him on Christmas Eve and he shows me a 32 GB Playbook he bought of eBay.
    That is TOO FUNNY about the ipad confusion. But he seems to be the better for it, now that he is sporting a new PB32!

So you have the USB dongle connected to the microUSB port? I take it that you had to use an adapter? Would somebody PLEASE post some photos? Grrr.
    01-02-12 10:54 AM
    Love it! I use my bb in bible study for a quick look up of verses, but never considered bringing my PB...too much temptation to play Doodle Blast!
    01-02-12 10:55 AM
    Not an entirely new concept...

My mother had always been an ardent church goer....then one day she brought the attached to church (about 20 years ago) , I couldn't help but feel it was somehow sacrilegious lol

When it stopped working I "inherited" it.
    I still have MINE!! I used it when I did live radio to pull up verses quickly on the air! lol!

Brings back memories! That was the really old one, my old Franklin was (for the time) more streamlined!

covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/2918145-L.jpg

Last edited by CrackBerryKuba; 01-02-12 at 10:58 AM.
    01-02-12 10:56 AM
    NICE! ILove my BB, but am still very nostalgic about my big HONKIN leather Bible!

Hey for what it's worth check out FullArmorRadio.com you might like it! If you like Christian Music that is EDGEY! Rock, Metal, Hardcore.. The podcasts are free, search for Full Armor of God Broadcast on the podcast app or iTunes.

I know the host very well...

He's me..

End of shameless self promotion..
    Is it as big as Bill Clinton's?

Yes there is lot to be said about the beauty of some of those books...the guilded edges, pictures and craftsmanship....

I would miss them as much as I miss the altars that seem to have been replaced by big screens.....
    Sigh... I'm a traditionalist at heart.

Part of why I don't go anymore. After a week of sitting behind computer and HD screens....
    I just prefer refuge from the tech and buzz.. but that's just my taste...

But for playbook's sake - happy to hear it is being used this way.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 11:13 AM.
    01-02-12 10:57 AM
    Is it as big as Bill Clinton's?

Yes there is lot to be said about the beauty of some of those books...the guilded edges, pictures and craftsmanship....

I would miss them as much as I miss the altars that seem to have been replaced by big screens.....
    Sigh... I'm a traditionalist at heart.

Part of why I don't go anymore.
    True! I can sympathize! the "institutional church" has become more like a corporate entity these days.

I attended a small fellowship in Columbus, Ohio that met at public parks and hiked on Sunday mornings. Singing and praying as they hiked then studied the Bible when they stopped to rest.

One of the coolest "churches" I ever attended! Want to start one up like that here in Atlanta someday! The church really is who we are rather than where we go. Not to fly in the face of the institution as a whole. But isn't that how you picture Jesus and the disciples having Church in the early days?
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 11:03 AM
    Funny how times change... LOL.

Here is a thread from way back when when we talked about our BBs being ministry tools. Most folks were aghast at the thought of using a BB at church .

Now it is commonplace.

Even in my groups, the kids are whipping out Bible programs on their smartphones. Technology use in church is my FAVORITE talking point.
    I forgot to link the old thread. The horror!

http://forums.crackberry.com/social-...-church-10228/
    01-02-12 11:06 AM
    NICE! ILove my BB, but am still very nostalgic about my big HONKIN leather Bible! ...snip...
    I grew tired of bringing a hvy backpack to church. I have an NIV Life Application Bible (do NOT buy bonded leather EVER, always go genuine to last for yrs and yrs), a notebook, a three ring binder, kleenex, tithe envelopes, books, Moleskine for prayer requests and journaling, etc. So after black Fri, I decided to go paperless with my PB32 purchase. I'm using Evernote to help with keeping track of important things by taking pics of church bulletins, calendars, etc. The OCR capabilities of Evernote are impressive (see my thread in PB Apps http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ernote-683614/)

I think this falls under the "come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" classification, but maybe not for the PB...
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 11:08 AM
    Not that I mind the technology! I LOVE my CRACKberry and my computers!

Just think of all The Apostle Paul contributed in the New Testement of the Bible. And those are not all of his writings. If he could do that with primitive writing utensils, imagine what he would have done with a pack of those cheap blue pens and spiral notebooks, let alone with a smartphone, laptop and 4G!!
    jcbrunson and Delirious D like this.
    01-02-12 11:09 AM
    I grew tired of bringing a hvy backpack to church. I have an NIV Life Application Bible (do NOT buy bonded leather EVER, always go genuine to last for yrs and yrs), a notebook, a three ring binder, kleenex, tithe envelopes, books, Moleskine for prayer requests and journaling, etc. So after black Fri, I decided to go paperless with my PB32 purchase. I'm using Evernote to help with keeping track of important things by taking pics of church bulletins, calendars, etc. The OCR capabilities of Evernote are impressive (see my thread in PB Apps http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ernote-683614/)

I think this falls under the "come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" classification, but maybe not for the PB...
    Cool!
    01-02-12 11:11 AM
    True! I can sympathize! the "institutional church" has become more like a corporate entity these days.

I attended a small fellowship in Columbus, Ohio that met at public parks and hiked on Sunday mornings. Singing and praying as they hiked then studied the Bible when they stopped to rest.

One of the coolest "churches" I ever attended! Want to start one up like that here in Atlanta someday! The church really is who we are rather than where we go. Not to fly in the face of the institution as a whole. But isn't that how you picture Jesus and the disciples having Church in the early days?
    I like that -or a quiet traditional meditative church where you can just be quiet and meditative - that doesn't seem to exist anymore

After a week of sitting behind computer and HD screens....
    I just prefer refuge from the tech and buzz.. but that's just my taste...God may has well have just implanted a screen in front of our face as far as I'm concerned -

But for playbook's sake - happy to hear it is being used this way!
    tonyron227 likes this.
    01-02-12 11:17 AM
    Not that I mind the technology! I LOVE my CRACKberry and my computers!

Just think of all The Apostle Paul contributed in the New Testement of the Bible. And those are not all of his writings. If he could do that with primitive writing utensils, imagine what he would have done with a pack of those cheap blue pens and spiral notebooks, let alone with a smartphone, laptop and 4G!!
    If the disciples had playbooks- they may have taken better notes lol!
    If they had HD video - there might be no unbelievers or doubting Thomases.

Well I take that back with what you can do with computer graphics in "virtual Hollywood"
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 12:06 PM.
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 11:19 AM
    Not an entirely new concept...

My mother had always been an ardent church goer....then one day she brought the attached to church (about 20 years ago) , I couldn't help but feel it was somehow sacrilegious lol

When it stopped working I "inherited" it.
    Boy I remember when those first came out! I saw one and had that twinge of "I've gotta get me one of them".
    01-02-12 12:06 PM
    I never expected this thread to be such a hit.
    Im Glad it has been well recieved.
    01-02-12 12:09 PM
    I can see RIM's new advertising campaign now...
    "BackBerry PlayBook... The Good Book!"
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 12:52 PM
    I never expected this thread to be such a hit.
    Im Glad it has been well recieved.
    Thanks for starting it...I've picked up some good ideas, and it's nice to see that the PB could be used in a manner I'd be looking to use it quite frequently!
    mtnsrgr8 likes this.
    01-02-12 01:12 PM
    I used the Playbook to preach from yesterday .. does that make me 'hip' ???
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-02-12 04:38 PM
    PTL 4 the PB!!!!!
    01-02-12 06:08 PM
    As a Chaplain in Aged Care, I've been able to use the PB not just in preparing sermons and services for both the chapels in our Aged Care facility and the church I'm attending, but with Citrix receiver, I have my desktop on the PB where ever I am. Which means I can do spiritual assessments the minute I step outside of a residents room. With the bridge I am able to receive my e-mails where ever I am so that if I receive and urgent request for a pastoral visit to a resident from one of our staff members, I can go there straight after a service without having to check for a message first.

I am excited about the wireless presentation thing as I'd love to do an audio visual based service for residents with dementia and be conducting a regular service for our mainstream residents at the same time.

Awesome tool from an Awesome God. If he was against technology then I would be precondemned to eternal absence from him. Not sure if I can follow that Calvinistic line of thinking.
    01-02-12 06:47 PM
    What a wondferful use of the PB! Thank you for sharing this, and all the help you do for our senior citizens.
    Chaplain_Clancy and mtnsrgr8 like this.
    01-02-12 06:51 PM
    We have only that which His Eminence wants us to have...there is no better time then now to see that spirituality, a belief in God, and science have more in common then what progressive thinkers would want us to believe.
    jafobabe, Tbonist and Harryl6134 like this.
    01-02-12 06:52 PM
    I'm so glad to see other people using there pb at church. I plan on using mine there also.
    rotorwrench and Delirious D like this.
    01-02-12 07:18 PM
    is there an ibreviary app or equivalent for playbook? thanks in advance.
    01-02-12 09:39 PM
    I hooked up my pb to a computer monitor and used the bridge function to stream a few short videos while teaching religion class. I also used the Screamager app to add a little fun while the kids were coming into class.

the speakers worked great!
    01-02-12 09:41 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has shared info about using a PB to spread the Word! This thread rocks!
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 09:49 PM
    All these feedback sounds awesome, should get the convertible case, and it makes the playbook look like a bible!!
    Delirious D likes this.
    01-02-12 10:25 PM
245 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD