Tech using congregation. I love it.

Do you guys make use of smartphone/tablet interactive message notes (like Youversion Live)?
    Some individuals do, but not as a whole. I like Youversion and use it on my phone but since no app for the PB I can only access it online.
    01-01-12 10:30 PM
    thats something that was least expected from blackberry playbook
    01-01-12 10:53 PM
    I need to holler at you about your set-up. Impressive.
    Ok, tonight I tried to see how everything was set up but our volunteer media guy was ill tonight. I did get some info from the minister though, because he's familiar with it. We have our projector suspended from a tube in the ceiling directed to the screen behind the pulpit. Originally it was hardwired through the ceiling over to a side wall where we have a table set up with a laptop. We used a remote for the powerpoint. When I first used my PB the media guy had me connect a wireless adapter to my hdmi port that communicated with the projector, but apparently there were connectivety problems with that set up, although I thought it worked well. We currently have the PB connected via our wifi network with a virtual network on the laptop. That's as it was explained to me. I hope it helps enough to ask the right questions for a network savvy person more so than me.

If you have problems figuring it out, I'll be sure and get together with our media guru and PM you. Sorry, out of my area.
    01-01-12 11:04 PM
    I like this set up...sounds really cool. I'm waiting on my tax return this year to pick up a tablet; I currently use a lot of PPT presentations for my Sunday School class, and the times I've done pulpit supply, but I would love to be able to ditch the lappy/paper notes and go totally with a tablet.

Still have to to use paper notes, though, when I go into the local juvenile detention center each week. No technology allowed! Too much distraction for the kids.

For those of you who use the PB to teach/preach, how do you find the 7 inch screen to be? I've got a pastor friend in Minnesota who uses the iPad, and he likes the 10 inch screen better due to his aging eyes. That's one thing I've been wondering about, if I want to go with a 7in PB or a 10in Android tablet.

BTW, this is a really awesome thread! A breath of fresh air as of late!
    Depends on your needs. What I find really efficient is the real multitasking of having several references open and swiping between them as I need them while teaching. I personally prefer the PB precisely for the size reason, as does our minister who started out with an iPad. For other uses he still likes it, but as he uses the PB more I believe he'll switch. If you find you need 10" or bigger, you'll be better off and simpler using a laptop tablet. No brainer for Powerpoint in my opinion.
    01-01-12 11:25 PM
    Hey Everyone,

Just want to say how much i appreciate this thread. I'm a United Methodist pastor and though I haven't preached from my Playbook, I do use it extensively in preparing my messages. I use Word-to-go to write the sermon. I use Biblia.com to access my Logos reference materials, as well as Biblegateway.com for different versions of the Bible. I also use the internet for research and illustrations. I love being able to have all of these programs running at the same time and swiping back and forth quickly between them, even cutting and pasting references and Scriptures into my sermon. This is something I could not do easily with my old iPad 2, which is why I passed that tablet along to my father. I do feel that the 7" screen size is a bit small at times, but then I love the portability more of the time. Let's keep employing this good technology for the gospel!
    01-01-12 11:27 PM
    Tech using congregation. I love it.

Do you guys make use of smartphone/tablet interactive message notes (like Youversion Live)?
    LOL Check this out. We had small groups tonight. 18 people. I did a count: 6 tablets and 4 phones used for Bibles.
    mtnsrgr8 likes this.
    01-01-12 11:35 PM
    god bless any pastor! playbook on not!
    Hgouck and jonno_atamaniuk like this.
    01-01-12 11:38 PM
    LOL Check this out. We had small groups tonight. 18 people. I did a count: 6 tablets and 4 phones used for Bibles.
    I dont see why HE would have a problem with electronic Bibles. THE WORD is still being taught and passed along right. PLUS i think HE would be so proud how we are saving our environment. Electronic Bibles economically friendly. I'm all for ebooks. save a tree, save the world.
    rotorwrench and Lyls like this.
    01-01-12 11:40 PM
    I use my PB as a bible also and to take notes. Sometimes use biblegateay.com, sometimes a bible off of the Amazon Cloud Reader. I am also a musician and often use my PB on stage to reference music charts and notes with what we are playing for service. Have used VoiceNotes, too. It also has been handy for organzing a scouting ministry. I have all the docs I need at hand.
    01-01-12 11:48 PM
    i just reaffirmed my faith in jesus today. play book in hand.
    01-01-12 11:48 PM
    I have been thinking about taking mine to church, but I wish we had the YouVersion app already!
    Seriously, I believe if you try eMmanual Bible app, you'll love it, plus it's on device, no wifi or bridge needed. The developer keeps adding great features too.
    ninepbs and mtnsrgr8 like this.
    01-02-12 12:05 AM
    I use my Playbook in church. The hymns are all online, so I use bridge to access them, and let the others use the hymnals.
    tonyron227 likes this.
    01-02-12 04:00 AM
    i just reaffirmed my faith in jesus today. play book in hand.
    Did you think we all would take yer thread this far? Love it!

I esp love the ipad users falling for the PB - I stand corrected from my earlier statement... except that you can project to an external screen pretty easy. But that requires AppleTV, right? I think I'll do the research today on the miniHDMI wifi solution. Us engineers are never satisfied. But the swiping between screens, PB wins hands down. Still need auto-correct, not giving up on that one.

With Pwrpt, Presenter's Edge could be all you need from the pulpit. Our sound techs simply advance the slides manually as pastor gets to them. But the PB is the wifi remote with Presenter's Edge, so pastor could advance them himself as if he had the clicker. That would be a no-frills solution.

Should we be sending a note to RIM - forget the "professional" label, and go with "ministry" on the next PB marketing blitz?
    rotorwrench, Revord and sirk25 like this.
    01-02-12 06:47 AM
    Some individuals do, but not as a whole. I like Youversion and use it on my phone but since no app for the PB I can only access it online.
    You guys need to hang out in the PB apps forum, Youversion is coming to the PB:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-679513/

How exciting is that!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-02-12 06:54 AM
    I use my PB as a bible also and to take notes. Sometimes use biblegateay.com, sometimes a bible off of the Amazon Cloud Reader. I am also a musician and often use my PB on stage to reference music charts and notes with what we are playing for service. Have used VoiceNotes, too. It also has been handy for organzing a scouting ministry. I have all the docs I need at hand.
    Any specifics on how you use the PB with music - apps, websites, etc? I know quite a few musicians who use their ipads on stage. We need ammo for the PB cause!
    01-02-12 07:00 AM
    I just downloaded this app to my iPhone. Thanks for the headsup.
    01-02-12 07:06 AM
    Funny how times change... LOL.

Here is a thread from way back when when we talked about our BBs being ministry tools. Most folks were aghast at the thought of using a BB at church .

Now it is commonplace.

Even in my groups, the kids are whipping out Bible programs on their smartphones. Technology use in church is my FAVORITE talking point.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-02-12 08:36 AM
    I'm a Pastor as well.
    Just got my Playbook at Christmas. Wondering if there are any good Bible apps anyone can recommend?
    01-02-12 09:58 AM
    a great tablet, indeed!
    01-02-12 10:04 AM
    And we are doing the PP wirelessly. We have a wireless projector set up with a miniHDMI connector on the PB connected with a wirelesss dongle. Works great.

Also what works well is using a sketch app, allowing us to us the PB as a white board, drawing or writing on loaded docs or photos and showing it through Slide Show. We use this at work to draw on loaded schematics.
    Yup I couldn't agree with you more. I am an EMS Instructor. I told my wife I bought the Playbook for our daughter (got her hooked on the dolls, but she still wants the PB, so now I have to get another one), used the PB for my classes. I run the EMS Slides via the USB Dongle to the wireless Projector. Sometimes I connect directly through Bluetooth(depends on the client)

The first day I did it, a guy asked me if it was a new iPad. So I showed him what it really was. Afterwards I gave him 5 presentations to complete in 3 days for his transgressions. I met him on Christmas Eve and he shows me a 32 GB Playbook he bought of eBay.
    rotorwrench and jcbrunson like this.
    01-02-12 10:36 AM
    I'm a Pastor as well.
    Just got my Playbook at Christmas. Wondering if there are any good Bible apps anyone can recommend?
    Definitely read back thru the thread for Bible recommendations. I use BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages. while bridged to my 9810, others highly recommended the E-Mmanuel app on the PB since it saves translations to the local memory (Buy e-Mmanuel Bible Reader - Download e-Mmanuel Bible Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World), another recommended Biblica | Home on the web.

I don't necessarily recommend Bibles as e-books since you cannot interact with the content. Meaning no cut -n- pasting, highlighting, etc. I use Biblegateway frequently to cut -n- paste into lessons, sermon notes, flyers, etc. E-Mmanuel does this also.
    mtnsrgr8 and Vorkosigan like this.
    01-02-12 10:40 AM
    Wow I guess that tells me I haven't been to church for a while

Seems as though tablets are more popular among church goers than they are among travelers! Between two airports a flight and a bus I only saw two tablets.
    01-02-12 10:41 AM
    I use my Playbook in church. The hymns are all online, so I use bridge to access them, and let the others use the hymnals.
    Singing the praises of the Playbook I hope!

You are a good playbook evangelist
    Maybe more will follow suit.
    01-02-12 10:42 AM
    spotted! my pastor at church uses his playbook as his bible during his sermon. im not sure if he is using notes or the bible app , either way playbook has made it to the pulpit.
    AMEN
    NICE! ILove my BB, but am still very nostalgic about my big HONKIN leather Bible!

Hey for what it's worth check out FullArmorRadio.com you might like it! If you like Christian Music that is EDGEY! Rock, Metal, Hardcore.. The podcasts are free, search for Full Armor of God Broadcast on the podcast app or iTunes.

I know the host very well...

He's me..

End of shameless self promotion..
    01-02-12 10:50 AM
    Funny how times change... LOL.

Here is a thread from way back when when we talked about our BBs being ministry tools. Most folks were aghast at the thought of using a BB at church .

Now it is commonplace.

Even in my groups, the kids are whipping out Bible programs on their smartphones. Technology use in church is my FAVORITE talking point.
    Not an entirely new concept...

My mother had always been an ardent church goer....then one day she brought the attached to church (about 20 years ago) , I couldn't help but feel it was somehow sacrilegious lol

When it stopped working I "inherited" it.
    john_v likes this.
    01-02-12 10:51 AM
245 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD