One day you may see the large display screens in modern churches reflecting the display of the pastor's playbook... Interesting and efficient way of administering a sermon.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-01-12 at 10:30 AM.
    alnamvet68 and jcbrunson like this.
    01-01-12 10:25 AM
    I am a pastor and I have my Playbook with me every time I go. I show it off to my congregation every chance I get. But we still allow people with iPads because there God still loves them.
    I not a minister, but I fill in when ours is gone. I've used the PB for that purpose since I first got it. There's also a notes and outline app that works great for presentations and speeches I use, Presenters Edge. I use it for youth group classes as well.

The Emmanual app is by far the best I've used compared to any Bible app on any platform. Very efficient.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-01-12 at 10:48 AM.
    01-01-12 10:38 AM
    I think whatever way we get the Word in us, whether actual book or electronic device, He doesn't really care as long as we're reading it.
    01-01-12 11:04 AM
    I think whatever way we get the Word in us, whether actual book or electronic device, He doesn't really care as long as we're reading it.
    Except that it may be a bit easier to get distracted from it's Purpose, on the playbook as opposed to the paper bound type
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-01-12 01:06 PM
    I use mine in church too lol
    With a bluetooth "hearing aid" and tuned to ESPN?
    01-01-12 01:09 PM
    I use my PB32 in church. I've gone paperless when teaching my adult Sunday school class, creating the lesson on a lappy and viewing on the tabby. I use the bridge to access BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions and 50 languages. (you can add parallel translations easily, which is outstanding). I've also started using it to take notes during the sermons using Word templates created on a laptop. It's frustrating that I still depend on lappy to create docs...

As much as I love my PB32, I think the ipad is the way to go for pastors. Being able to share your ipad screen wirelessly with the church screens would be fantastic. Swiping between Pwrpt slides with scripture inbedded would really be helpful keeping the congregation interested and engaged. But our pastor carries a BB, so the bridged PB would be ideal, and add the mucho lower price tag...

Can you tell I've put some thought into this? I've been thinking about buying our pastor a PB as a tool to help his ministry, and he's already said he could use it. PB stocks are way down now (Bestbuy is SOLD OUT), so act fast if you're thinking about the same thing.
    Your podium must be larger than ours, because our minister tried using an iPad and using it got too cluttered for him with his other notes, Bible and papers up there. Otherwise it was working fine for him. I talked him into doing one sermon using my PB, Presenters Edge, eMmanual and Powerpoint, all at the same time and he was hooked. He still likes his iPad, but now uses the PB on the podium.

What hooked him was having e-Mmanual, Presenters Edge (with notes, cue cards and timer), and PP all running and just swiping between apps as he needed them. And we are doing the PP wirelessly. We have a wireless projector set up with a miniHDMI connector on the PB connected with a wirelesss dongle. Works great.

Also what works well is using a sketch app, allowing us to us the PB as a white board, drawing or writing on loaded docs or photos and showing it through Slide Show. We use this at work to draw on loaded schematics.
    JR A, jcbrunson, john_v and 15 others like this.
    01-01-12 04:40 PM
    Your podium must be larger than ours, because our minister tried using an iPad and using it got too cluttered for him with his other notes, Bible and papers up there. Otherwise it was working fine for him. I talked him into doing one sermon using my PB, Presenters Edge, eMmanual and Powerpoint, all at the same time and he was hooked. He still likes his iPad, but now uses the PB on the podium.

What hooked him was having e-Mmanual, Presenters Edge (with notes, cue cards and timer), and PP all running and just swiping between apps as he needed them. And we are doing the PP wirelessly. We have a wireless projector set up with a miniHDMI connector on the PB connected with a wirelesss dongle. Works great.

Also what works well is using a sketch app, allowing us to us the PB as a white board, drawing or writing on loaded docs or photos and showing it through Slide Show. We use this at work to draw on loaded schematics.
    I need to holler at you about your set-up. Impressive.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-01-12 04:43 PM
    BTW, made note of tablet use in our church today. I would estimate about 25% were using a tablet of one brand or another. Galaxy Tabs, Xooms (10 & 7 "), Ipads and PBs. 3 other PBs not counting ours.
    01-01-12 04:47 PM
    BTW, made note of tablet use in our church today. I would estimate about 25% were using a tablet of one brand or another. Galaxy Tabs, Xooms (10 & 7 "), Ipads and PBs. 3 other PBs not counting ours.
    Tech using congregation. I love it.

Do you guys make use of smartphone/tablet interactive message notes (like Youversion Live)?
    01-01-12 04:52 PM
    i use emmanuel dual versions ESV and NIV at the same time. The 5 tabs help as my pastor flips back on forth so instead of keeping a finger on X page I can just use a different tab. How convenient. =)
    klc99, rotorwrench and mtnsrgr8 like this.
    01-01-12 04:59 PM
    I am a Catholic priest, and my 32gb PB won't be used in the liturgy per se, but I will be using it for teaching, as well as presentations in meetings.

In addition, my side-loaded Remote Desktop Enterprise (Android app) allows me to access our parish database out of the office as long as there's wifi available. Our parish has 7800 families, and keeping up with sick lists especially, as well as communication with the families, is always a challenge. The PB will help me keep those details up to date and serve the folks better.

Finally, there is also an app for the breviary (the Liturgy of the Hours, psalms and readings that all priests pray five times daily) that I side loaded which allows me to pray without carrying the book around.

As a tool, the PB will help in prayer, praise, and service. That's a good thing. Happy New Year!
    01-01-12 05:58 PM

I like this set up...sounds really cool. I'm waiting on my tax return this year to pick up a tablet; I currently use a lot of PPT presentations for my Sunday School class, and the times I've done pulpit supply, but I would love to be able to ditch the lappy/paper notes and go totally with a tablet.

Still have to to use paper notes, though, when I go into the local juvenile detention center each week. No technology allowed! Too much distraction for the kids.

For those of you who use the PB to teach/preach, how do you find the 7 inch screen to be? I've got a pastor friend in Minnesota who uses the iPad, and he likes the 10 inch screen better due to his aging eyes. That's one thing I've been wondering about, if I want to go with a 7in PB or a 10in Android tablet.

BTW, this is a really awesome thread! A breath of fresh air as of late!
    Last edited by john_v; 01-01-12 at 06:24 PM.
    01-01-12 06:21 PM
    This is the thread of the day, first of the new year! Five stars, vote it up people! Can I get an AAA-MEN, bruthas and sistas? Be healed and use your Playbook!

I love these discussions, and we're also learning a lot about our fellow CBers.

Rotowrench - awesome contribution to the thread! We will definitely explore the wifi options. A shopping list of the parts as a followup would be outstanding. I already checked out the e-Mmanuel app. The Presenter's Edge app I am looking into. Now we just need the shopping list for hware!
    01-01-12 06:28 PM
    I love these discussions, and we're also learning a lot about our fellow CBers.
    It's these kinds of great threads that have kept me here at CB, even though I haven't used a BB for awhile. You don't find this kind of community in too many other places on the web.
    01-01-12 06:34 PM
    Using a tablet in church seems a little over the top, even for pastors. Seriously, I doubt that God is amused...
    I disagree. I am sure there was resistance when scrolls replaced stone tablets, books replaced scrolls, etc. Certainly video projectors were (are?) resisted.

I use a tablet in Sunday School as my bible, but for some reason I feel a little creepy using it in church.

Perhaps because I know that I will have to choose to overcome temptation... can I resist glancing at weather underground during verse five of a slow hymn??? Better to have the tablet closed for me!
    rotorwrench and Hgouck like this.
    01-01-12 06:37 PM
    BTW - taking notes during sermon today was tough typing, WE NEED AUTO-CORRECT, dag-nabbit! OS2 better be able to correct our bad typing, or Jehovah Himself might visit Waterloo!
    jafobabe, rotorwrench and ninepbs like this.
    01-01-12 06:44 PM
    I need to holler at you about your set-up. Impressive.
    Headed out the door, will take pictures tonight.
    01-01-12 06:45 PM
    I like this set up...sounds really cool. I'm waiting on my tax return this year to pick up a tablet... snip!
    Don't wait too long - stocks of the PB are going down during these lower prices! You can still order from Blackberry for the sale prices, and they still have them in stock. But as I mentioned earlier, Bestbuy is currently sold out.
    01-01-12 06:51 PM
    Don't wait too long - stocks of the PB are going down during these lower prices! You can still order from Blackberry for the sale prices, and they still have them in stock. But as I mentioned earlier, Bestbuy is currently sold out.
    I hear ya. If it had been up to me, I'd already have a 32g PB...unfortunately my wife had something to say about that.
    01-01-12 06:53 PM
    I hear ya. If it had been up to me, I'd already have a 32g PB...unfortunately my wife had something to say about that.
    Nothing a PB32 for HER won't fix, eh? God obviously wants her to have one too, if I'm reading this thread correctly. Didn't you catch the Isaiah 8:1 reference?
    Northernlady likes this.
    01-01-12 07:00 PM
    Tried that route...didn't get real far.
    01-01-12 07:06 PM
    I have moved to the Playbook for ministry teaching to have all the verses I want to deal with in a single Word document and easy to access. No turning pages or going through paper.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTqEC0r15A[/YT]
    Last edited by faithofgod; 01-01-12 at 07:37 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-01-12 07:23 PM
    Great thread! I preached from my PB for the first time this am! I was surprised at how comfortable an experience it was. Scrolling will take getting used to and I need to adjust backlight settings.

Told my parish afterwards and they thought it was pretty cool! I'm an Anglican priest in Ontario, Canada.
    01-01-12 09:17 PM
    I have been thinking about taking mine to church, but I wish we had the YouVersion app already!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-01-12 09:27 PM
    lol. started off the new year going to my mom's church. Used my PB as my bible. Funny i get on CB to see this post. Love my custom Bible my mom gave me but the PB was so much faster lol.

And with my brand new leather BB PB case lol looked like a bible.
    My BF kept trying to see if he could pull up the verse faster then me.
    01-01-12 09:45 PM
245 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD