Thinking of purchasing a playbook for my 7yr old for Christmas. He has lots of educational games (suggested by his teacher) on my ipad, they are piloting a new program at his school that utilizes ipads in the classroom, and although we are a mostly Apple household, a few of the other websites one of his teacher recommends require flash. With the Playbook being so cheap it would be crazy not to just buy that considering he could bridge with my work phone if he needs an internet connection away from home.

My question is, what is the educational app selection like on the playbook. I know it isn�t at all as extensive as the iphone, but if I buy a device I�d like to avoid him needed to still use my ipad in conjunction with his device. He has an ipod touch, but the educational games are easier on the larger screen.
    10-04-12 01:40 PM
    My wife and I recently gave our 16gb PlayBooks to our 4 and 6 year old kids when the 32mb units went on sale. Now there are four PlayBooks in the house and two BlackBerry phones. No Apple products. Most of the kid stuff in App World that I've seen is more for toddlers so it's more of a toy than an educational tool for us. That said my 6 year old is learning to play chess on it, they both have Hotmail accounts to begin playing around messaging with Nana and whatnot, they love making movies and recording voice notes and songs, they both have bookmarks on the browser for sites like TVOkids, Statfall, and PBSkids, and the video chat is something they love too. Basically they're learning a lot of things without realizing that they're actually learning. Plus now the wife and I have leverage. The mere mention of taking the PlayBook away brings them back in line quickly...for now at least.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    10-04-12 04:11 PM
    My wife and I recently gave our 16gb PlayBooks to our 4 and 6 year old kids when the 32mb units went on sale. Now there are four PlayBooks in the house and two BlackBerry phones. No Apple products. Most of the kid stuff in App World that I've seen is more for toddlers so it's more of a toy than an educational tool for us. That said my 6 year old is learning to play chess on it, they both have Hotmail accounts to begin playing around messaging with Nana and whatnot, they love making movies and recording voice notes and songs, they both have bookmarks on the browser for sites like TVOkids, Statfall, and PBSkids, and the video chat is something they love too. Basically they're learning a lot of things without realizing that they're actually learning. Plus now the wife and I have leverage. The mere mention of taking the PlayBook away brings them back in line quickly...for now at least.
    So no scholastic grade specific apps? I figured as much when I didn't see many replies in an otherwise very active forum.

Thanks for your response!!
    10-05-12 05:09 AM
    I think those are available on Android and apple.
    10-05-12 09:50 PM
    There are still lots of Apps for children in AppWorld and some of them are quite educational in nature... but, and this is a honest personal observation, on top of my 64GB PlayBook, I have an iPad3 and (just recently) a Sony Xperia tablet, and everytime my nieces and nephews visited me, they all keep struggling to get first either the iPad or the Xperia tablets... simply because of those wide variety of applications and games... so based on that observation, I can conclude that it would be easy to involve the children with something that is common to other children and a lot of choices on their own...

And that's still fine with me, since I have my PlayBook by myself... :-)
    10-05-12 10:34 PM
    There are literally dozens of toddlers/children apps for Playbook. Playbook is just perfect for kids.
    10-06-12 07:12 AM
    if you need something with more apps, I would try the nexus 7, it has most of the apps you can get on ipad and the tablet is only $199
    10-06-12 10:24 AM
    You can take a look at what is available in Appworld from you desktop computer.
    Education Apps - Download Apps for Education - BlackBerry App World

That link should be filtered to Playbbok and education. There are 1200 apps in that category. There are plenty of apps for my 2 yr old. I have not looked at apps for older kids. I did see plenty of math and reading apps.
    10-06-12 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD