So I bought a new 42" TV 2 days ago and when I connected my playbook to it, I noticed it wouldn't charge. Some of you maybe thinking why not connect it the wall charger as well; well I have an extension cord that connects multiple other things (xbox, tv, bluray player, set top box, ect) and there is no extra outlet space to plug another cord. Wouldn't it be cool if RIM added a feature that would allow us to charge the PB while connected through HDMI in the next update, because it would basically use the TV as a electric source since the TV is plugged into an outlet anyway. Idk just something I thought would be a cool feature. What do you guys think of this idea?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-20-11 at 05:01 PM.
    07-20-11 04:59 PM
    Good idea, but I doubt the 5v (Pin 18) has enough current to charge the PB at a decent rate, it may be enough to keep it from discharging though.

Grab your solder pen and razor blade and give it a shot! You can get the required cables to hack and slash from Monoprice for under $10. I'm not sure it would charge the PB, but it would be a fun experiment.
    07-20-11 06:19 PM
    HDMI doesn't work that way, no 5V power

07-20-11 06:19 PM

Hmm, there is power on an HDMI cable although not all devices will supply power to the connection. That's how some HDMI switches work without requiring external power. (Not that I condone them, they're typically cheap and noisy)
    07-20-11 06:21 PM
    in theory this would be a fantastic idea but i don't think you can pull more than 55mA on the HDMI's 5V connector...that's not enough to charge the PlayBook
    07-20-11 06:22 PM

yes it does
    07-20-11 06:23 PM
    Apparently the spec states at least 50ma and no more then 500ma. 500ma would probably be enough for a slow charge rate, and I doubt 50ma would even keep up with the power draw while running a video or game.

So it's luck of the draw if your TV puts out 50 or 500ma.
    07-20-11 06:28 PM
    Ok, should have said there is not a 5v source to power devices. The hdmi 5v is normally used as a trigger to switch devices on and off. Sorry I wasn't clear

07-20-11 06:29 PM
    Good idea, but I doubt the 5v (Pin 18) has enough current to charge the PB at a decent rate, it may be enough to keep it from discharging though.

Grab your solder pen and razor blade and give it a shot! You can get the required cables to hack and slash from Monoprice for under $10. I'm not sure it would charge the PB, but it would be a fun experiment.
    Cables To Go makes a 2.6A power injector. It's used when running long distances.

07-20-11 06:32 PM
    I'm in a hotel with PB connected to HDMI on the TV, and charging my BB phone with my USB cable plugged into a USB port on the back of the TV. Phone wanted to sync, I selected charge only. Lighting bolt on battery worked. So I just tried the same with the PB and the TV USB port, and looks likes its charging. Just be ready to click DISMISS when it tries to load drivers....don't know if the TV was trying to load them, or the PB, but eitherway that sounded really bad. Especially after the recent OS update headaches. By the way nothing like a HD TV, playbook,Blue tooth mouse (logitech 810-000452) and Blue tooth keyboard.(Freedom Prro) Don't even need my glasses!
    07-20-11 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD