I remember some people having trouble with the Playbook not being able to charge from their USB port. Basically if you have a newer motherboard it shouldn't be a problem, because they all follow the USB Battery Specification that allows the PC to put out more power through USB to charge devices that need it.

On MSI motherboards it will be called iCharger, on Gigabyte boards it will be called On/Off Charge, and on Asus boards it will be called AICharge. Not sure about any other manufacturers but they should all have this feature if they are new enough.

*if you do have such a motherboard, your Playbook will not show as 'charging' if it is in developer mode. It must be out of developer mode to show the 'lightning symbol'.
    Last edited by BennyX; 03-25-13 at 10:54 PM.
    FF22 and BB12MX like this.
    03-25-13 10:17 PM
    You might not get the "lightning bolt" icon on your battery, but YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CHARGE YOUR PLAYBOOK.

It will be slow, but I have let my PB get down to 35 percent, plugged in into my notebook, and after about half a workday, I have jumped up to about 75/80 percent. Again, it will be slow, but it does still charge.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-26-13 09:51 AM
    I remember some people having trouble with the Playbook not being able to charge from their USB port. Basically if you have a newer motherboard it shouldn't be a problem, because they all follow the USB Battery Specification that allows the PC to put out more power through USB to charge devices that need it.

On MSI motherboards it will be called iCharger, on Gigabyte boards it will be called On/Off Charge, and on Asus boards it will be called AICharge. Not sure about any other manufacturers but they should all have this feature if they are new enough.

*if you do have such a motherboard, your Playbook will not show as 'charging' if it is in developer mode. It must be out of developer mode to show the 'lightning symbol'.
    It's always worth checking the cable as well. Some usb cables are data and some are both power and data. I have had several bb phones and strangely enough my pb charging cable reports a charging error when connected to my pc via usb. My bb storm II cable connects for data but doesn't display the charging symbol and the cable from my torch 9860 does both?

Strange but there you are.
    03-26-13 12:58 PM
    I had a problem with my Playbook not charging via USB. The problem was the PlayBook's usb connector was bad. I called BlackBerry and they set me up for a repair. I got a new Playbook back from them. Customer service was great.
    03-26-13 01:28 PM
    What the OP is referring to is not the same as USB most older and legacy PCs and laptops have. He is right. Some of the increased current MBs will better charge a PB. The USB 2.0 standard on most ports has too little current to properly charge a PB and in some cases the current is so low that with the PB on and active it will actually still deplete the battery. Many threads and posts on this. Not all USB ports put out the same current so best to experiment. If you have BatteryGuru, it's best to check with it. Most USB ports I've tried won't charge or are so slow it's not worth the effort.
    03-27-13 01:38 AM