Hey there, i have a 16g playbook i bought for $200 when they were all discounted, some 2 yrs ago. Anyhow, lately when i plug in the charger ( included charger) the battery icon tends to begin charging at the slow rate ( shows plug icon as opposed to lightning bolt)...
    i plug and unplug and use several outlets and eventually it goes into rapid charge again.... is this normal for an old playbook? Is this a sign that the battery is on it's last legs? How long are they supposed to last before they stop taking a charge...

should i be looking into another tablet at this point? I'm willing to hold on to my playbook until it dies as it has served me well these last 2 yrs with minimal use outside of web browsing.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 12:53 AM
    should i be looking into another tablet at this point?
    Are you really asking for suggestions or you just mocking? :-)

Seriously, more than 2 years is enough waiting for BlackBerry to do something to our beloved PlayBook... and I don't think that it will ever change...

Just try Windows 8 tablet...

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 01:13 AM
    I am serious, i'm not waiting for BlackBerry to do anything with the playbook, nor was i ever; it did/does what i need it to do. anything more would have been a bonus. I know there are better tablets out there at this point but i'm the type that doesn't believe in throwing things away if it still works... ( i held on to my bold 9700 for about 4 yrs)....
    my playbook still works, i'm just concerned with the charging and why it is beginning to fluctuate....i know charges eventually die out. i tried charging my video ipod a couple of yrs ago and it didn't show a hint of life, so I'm wondering about the status of my playbook.... i have no interest in a windows tablet or any tablet that's over $200....especially any that don't come with an hdmi output.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:48 AM
    Bueller??...

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 10:18 PM
    Bueller??...

Posted via CB10
    You can find battery replacements on eBay.
    06-21-14 10:23 PM
    Get a new magnetic charger or rapid charger

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 10:25 PM
    You can find battery replacements on eBay.
    Uh; Battery replacement for the playbook?? Are you sure about that?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:23 PM
    Get a new magnetic charger or rapid charger

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    What makes you think it's the charger itself and not the playbook? The charger works fine on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:25 PM
    Uh; Battery replacement for the playbook?? Are you sure about that?

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. Did you bother to look?
    06-22-14 01:38 PM
    Absolutely. Did you bother to look?
    Yeah, there are take aparts on YouTube that show you how to replace the battery. Also, you might consider installing BatteryGuru to get an idea of your battery health. Conversely, the cable may be fine but your USB port may be experiencing some "wear". Get a rapid charger that uses the magnetic coupling. You won't be sorry as they are very cheap <$25 and you can put it on in the dark, e.g. get it close to the fitting and it magnetically clicks together. Faster charging as well than standard USB cable.
    06-22-14 02:27 PM
    Yeah, there are take aparts on YouTube that show you how to replace the battery. Also, you might consider installing BatteryGuru to get an idea of your battery health. Conversely, the cable may be fine but your USB port may be experiencing some "wear". Get a rapid charger that uses the magnetic coupling. You won't be sorry as they are very cheap <$25 and you can put it on in the dark, e.g. get it close to the fitting and it magnetically clicks together. Faster charging as well than standard USB cable.
    Well, by the looks of it i'd say it is the charging port on the playbook since the connection appears to be fairly loose in that it can wiggle every which way, at which point the charging goes from standard to rapid charging...

not sure if that can be fixed, at which point I'll be stuck with just standard charging or until i decide to get a new tablet or pickup a used playbook somewhere that I'm sure will be less than $40 bucks by then.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 03:56 AM
    Well, by the looks of it i'd say it is the charging port on the playbook since the connection appears to be fairly loose in that it can wiggle every which way, at which point the charging goes from standard to rapid charging...

not sure if that can be fixed, at which point I'll be stuck with just standard charging or until i decide to get a new tablet or pickup a used playbook somewhere that I'm sure will be less than $40 bucks by then.

Posted via CB10
    Then just get the charger with the magnetic plug which use a different port.
    kbz1960 and Gooseberry Falls like this.
    06-23-14 08:50 AM
    Then just get the charger with the magnetic plug which use a different port.
    No reason to suffer for $10:
    Blackberry Playbook Rapid Wall Charger Original Fast Rate Home HDW 34727 001 | eBay
    06-23-14 10:44 AM
    That's not a bad deal, where does that plug into? It doesn't look like a mini usb connector and it doesn't say in the description. Is that for ALL playbooks?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 11:41 AM
    That's not a bad deal, where does that plug into? It doesn't look like a mini usb connector and it doesn't say in the description. Is that for ALL playbooks?

Posted via CB10
    Its not a mini usb connector. It plugs into the last port with the 3 little pins by a magnetic plug. You can connect it with eyes closed.
    omega supreme likes this.
    06-23-14 12:03 PM
    MicroUSB is just so fragile and you have to check for orientation. This magnetic rapid charger is one reason why I like my PB, so easy. It charges in 2-3 hours. This is the fastest way to charge: USB to computer<USB to AC<rapid charger. BTW, the "plug" icon on the battery means it is plugged in to AC. The lightnin bolt just means it is charging, e.g. you don't know if it is "standard" or "rapid". You can only get the "rapid" charge with the magnetic rapid charger. When you get it, you will wonder how you lived without it. LOL.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-23-14 at 01:51 PM.
    06-23-14 01:37 PM
    "....won't be sorry as they are very cheap <$25 and you can put it on in the dark, e.g. get it close to the fitting and it magnetically clicks together. .."

Use that one when away from PB home, usually travelling. Cradle style charger left at/usually one used at home.

Have not used the stock original charger since very quickly acquiring the cradle then the magnetic style during staples* closeout sales . . .
    06-23-14 01:51 PM
    Yeah, you can get the stand or the corded one:
    Amazon.com: playbook charging dock

The stand doesn't work that well if you have any type of case on it, tho.
    06-23-14 01:57 PM
    MicroUSB is just so fragile and you have to check for orientation. This magnetic rapid charger is one reason why I like my PB, so easy. It charges in 2-3 hours. This is the fastest way to charge: USB to computer<USB to AC<rapid charger. BTW, the "plug" icon on the battery means it is plugged in to AC. The lightnin bolt just means it is charging, e.g. you don't know if it is "standard" or "rapid". You can only get the "rapid" charge with the magnetic rapid charger. When you get it, you will wonder how you lived without it. LOL.
    Really? So you're saying that it doesn't matter what icon is displayed the charge will be the same?... Then why does it take a lot longer to charge when it's the plug icon as opposed to the bolt? When it has the bolt, it fully charges in about 2 hrs.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 03:19 PM
    Really? So you're saying that it doesn't matter what icon is displayed the charge will be the same?... Then why does it take a lot longer to charge when it's the plug icon as opposed to the bolt? When it has the bolt, it fully charges in about 2 hrs.

Posted via CB10
    When I see the plug icon, it is when I come back and the PB is fully charged but still connected to AC. Then when I disconnect the magnetic coupling, the plug goes away and the standard battery icon appears:
    Battery power level icons - User Guide - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - 2.0

I know this a Walmart ad but this is the way the magnetic rapid charger is described, e.g. 2X the standard charger but you still only get the lightnin bolt charging indicator:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=bktjfxhv
    06-23-14 05:48 PM
    When I see the plug icon, it is when I come back and the PB is fully charged but still connected to AC. Then when I disconnect the magnetic coupling, the plug goes away and the standard battery icon appears:
    Battery power level icons - User Guide - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - 2.0

I know this a Walmart ad but this is the way the magnetic rapid charger is described, e.g. 2X the standard charger but you still only get the lightnin bolt charging indicator:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=bktjfxhv

That's odd, according to that user guide if the plug icon is showing than it is not charging. In my case it is, just at a much slower rate. It's the same effect when i use my z10 charger on my playbook, i get the plug icon but it's logical since that charger carries a lesser voltage...i always wondered what that extra port was, didn't know you can charge anything with it....at $7 bucks i guess i can order one before my usb port completely dies.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 07:27 PM
    That's odd, according to that user guide if the plug icon is showing than it is not charging. In my case it is, just at a much slower rate. It's the same effect when i use my z10 charger on my playbook, i get the plug icon but it's logical since that charger carries a lesser voltage...i always wondered what that extra port was, didn't know you can charge anything with it....at $7 bucks i guess i can order one before my usb port completely dies.

Posted via CB10
    I'd say in your case, since you aren't getting the best contact, it might be intermittently going from plug to lightnin bolt, unless you stood there for 2-3 hours and verified that it wasn't. LOL. Also, as with the USB to computer connection or a lower output charger, you just get enough to maybe keep even, e.g. you don't accumulate charge. Maybe you would accumulate charge if you turned the PB fully off. You'll be much happier with the magnetic rapid charger. Guarantee it.
    06-24-14 07:14 AM
    I'd say in your case, since you aren't getting the best contact, it might be intermittently going from plug to lightnin bolt, unless you stood there for 2-3 hours and verified that it wasn't. LOL. Also, as with the USB to computer connection or a lower output charger, you just get enough to maybe keep even, e.g. you don't accumulate charge. Maybe you would accumulate charge if you turned the PB fully off. You'll be much happier with the magnetic rapid charger. Guarantee it.
    Well, i didn't exactly stand there for 2 hrs i just left it plugged in with the plug icon and it took more than 3 hrs to charge. Now that you mentioned the usb to pc connection, i'm now concerned that i won't be able to plug my playbook into my pc once my usb completely dies. Not that i do regularly but that is how i move files and back it up if i need to. I guess that's for a different thread. I'll go ahead and buy the charging dock along with a case and possibly a portable blu-tooth keyboard. I just noticed most of the playbook accessories are dirt cheap nowadays, considering. I guess it's a good time to be a playbook owner. ;p

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 02:21 PM
    Well, i didn't exactly stand there for 2 hrs i just left it plugged in with the plug icon and it took more than 3 hrs to charge. Now that you mentioned the usb to pc connection, i'm now concerned that i won't be able to plug my playbook into my pc once my usb completely dies. Not that i do regularly but that is how i move files and back it up if i need to. I guess that's for a different thread. I'll go ahead and buy the charging dock along with a case and possibly a portable blu-tooth keyboard. I just noticed most of the playbook accessories are dirt cheap nowadays, considering. I guess it's a good time to be a playbook owner. ;p

Posted via CB10
    I don't use my USB port at all. You can also file transfer over WIFI:
    KB26068-How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Different pins are used for data and charging so those may function fine. Again, the dock won't work well with most cases. You will likely have to take the case off to charge it.
    06-24-14 02:58 PM
    I don't use my USB port at all. You can also file transfer over WIFI:
    KB26068-How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Different pins are used for data and charging so those may function fine. Again, the dock won't work well with most cases. You will likely have to take the case off to charge it.
    I knew about using wifi for moving files and i think i may have used it once or twice to test it out...i believe and it has been reported that doing so is a bit (if not a lot) slower than using a usb cable, not to mention there is bigger likelihood of encountering a file transfer error because of a wifi hiccup of sorts...needless to say i just don't trust wifi for those things. also, as it is, blackberry link is a pain to use just using a usb cable, (i know it's mainly the software) ..... i don't mind taking off the cover to charge if i need to, it would take me 2 seconds to do so, plus i could always trim to fit or make some holes if it doesn't come with them, after all the case is just $5

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 06:14 PM