Is there a way to repair a micro usb port on the playbook without sending it in? The unit still charges, but the charging cord is not snug in the micro usb port. If not, I continue using as is, because everything works fine, just a little slop in the hole. Thanks!
    01-17-12 01:33 PM
    Are you sure it is not just the cable end? As long as the middle part of the socket on the playbook is not floating around and broken, I would not worry about it. A repair would probably cost as much as the Playbooks are selling for on sale.

If you can find the rapid charger, it uses a magnetic connector and would just disconnect when tripped over.
    peter9477 and Lhendr like this.
    01-17-12 01:43 PM
    Is there a way to repair a micro usb port on the playbook without sending it in? The unit still charges, but the charging cord is not snug in the micro usb port. If not, I continue using as is, because everything works fine, just a little slop in the hole. Thanks!
    To confirm that it's the PB's end, have you checked the connection to your PC using the included USB cable (not the charger)? Maybe it's the charger side of the connector which is damaged.

I second the suggestion to buy a rapid charger, preferably one of the $13.50 sale units if you can snag one, as they disconnect safely when tripped over...
    01-17-12 01:50 PM
    Since your asking about repairing it I will assume you are handy with electronics.

Does the port looked deformed? If it is you may be able to get it back into shape if your careful of course. You may need to remove the back for better access.
    I think the port is soldered to the board inside so if it still works(try usb to computer too)it should still be connected. Parts are hard to come by but it may be a standard port.
    I don't know if RIM will fix it but worth a try.
    01-17-12 01:52 PM
    Well, I checked the cord and the usb port. Both are a little deformed. Like I said, the usb port still works for both charging and transferring data, however, I am going to purchase the magnetic rapid charger. Thanks again!
    01-18-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD