So we decided we needed another USB wall charger for home since my wife and I both leave our PB chargers at work. The store was all out of PB-specific chargers, so I found a Belkin iPad/iPhone/iPod USB charger that outputs 2.1amps (the PB charger is 2.0amps). I figured 2.0/2.1 is so close, there should be no problems.

Well, I was wrong. Apparently, the extra 100 milliamps is too much for the PlayBook to handle, and it doesn't charge. So just a heads up to anyone looking for an additional PB charger - it seems only the BlackBerry-branded one will do and similar ratings won't matter...
    03-11-12 09:57 AM
    It doesn't seems to be the amps rating that is causing the problem. Maybe something else...

But considering the BB phones. The BB 9900 can accept all type of charger (almost) and even those rated at 2A (2000mA) charger but the maximum input is at 1230 (following the battery rating).

- Charles
    03-11-12 10:07 AM
    Apparently, the extra 100 milliamps is too much for the PlayBook to handle, and it doesn't charge. So just a heads up to anyone looking for an additional PB charger - it seems only the BlackBerry-branded one will do and similar ratings won't matter...
    The higher amperage is absolutely not the reason for this. Could be a different cable, defective charger, some other difference, but it cannot be because of the higher amperage.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-11-12 10:41 AM
    USB chargers aren't as simple as they once were. Many of the high current output ones use handshaking to establish the maximum output current limiting.

What might be happening here is that the Belkin isn't getting an expected response, and is thus setting the current limit to 500mA. If the PB is on, then there's no current left for recharging.

...maybe...
    03-11-12 10:59 AM
    So we decided we needed another USB wall charger for home since my wife and I both leave our PB chargers at work. The store was all out of PB-specific chargers, so I found a Belkin iPad/iPhone/iPod USB charger that outputs 2.1amps (the PB charger is 2.0amps). I figured 2.0/2.1 is so close, there should be no problems.

Well, I was wrong. Apparently, the extra 100 milliamps is too much for the PlayBook to handle, and it doesn't charge. So just a heads up to anyone looking for an additional PB charger - it seems only the BlackBerry-branded one will do and similar ratings won't matter...
    So what you're saying is that it would be foolish to say "2.0, 2.1 -- whatever it takes."
    03-11-12 11:20 AM
    USB chargers aren't as simple as they once were. Many of the high current output ones use handshaking to establish the maximum output current limiting.

What might be happening here is that the Belkin isn't getting an expected response, and is thus setting the current limit to 500mA. If the PB is on, then there's no current left for recharging.

...maybe...
    This might be the answer. I'm using the PB cord to charge it (so it's not the cord), and it's also not charging my Torch... but has no problem with my iPod...
    03-12-12 01:47 PM
    Well, I have used my Torch 9800 (700 mA) charger with my 64GB PB and I have not had any problem. It just takes more time to charge.
    I think it is a good solution.
    Last edited by pingote; 03-12-12 at 02:59 PM.
    03-12-12 02:56 PM
    Well, I have used my Torch 9800 (700 mA) charger with my 64GB PB and I have not had any problem. It just takes more time to charge.
    I think it is a good solution.
    Slow charging is also good for battery .

- Charles
    03-12-12 07:34 PM
    What is the output voltage of the Belkin charger?
    03-12-12 07:46 PM
    What is the output voltage of the Belkin charger?
    OP mentioned 2.1A

- Chalres
    03-13-12 01:17 AM
    OP mentioned 2.1A

- Chalres
    Yeah, I saw that he had mentioned the amperage, but I asked what the voltage is.
    03-13-12 01:20 AM
    I have a belkin charger thats the same way. Wont charge playbook but will charge my ipod. It works o. 9800 for a while then stops charging.
    03-13-12 01:28 AM
    I too had a charger for my iPod that would charge it to about 75% and then just stop. Very weird. Nothing to do with the Amp rating though...
    03-13-12 01:51 AM
    It'll be that the iDevice specific charger will have resistors on the data lines instead of a full short expected by the generic USB spec, which tells the device it is connected to a wall charger and is OK to request full current instead of 500 or 150mA. If you can't open the charger to check (dangerous) you can simulate the full charging mode by modifying an old USB lead and shorting the two data wires (middle pins) towards the phone.
    03-13-12 04:24 AM
    I also tried to buy a Belkin Swivel Charger 2.1 AMP for iPad 2. Its output is 5 volts. When I connected it to the Playbook, nothing happened. The Playbook could not recognize it at all.
    I also tested an Apple 2.0 amp 5 volt charger and had the same problem. In fact, I couldn't find any charger that will work to charge the Playbook at all.

Had anyone had any luck with an aftermarket charger? I want a small unit that has folding prongs, and a standard USB-out port.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    03-21-12 09:06 AM
    03-21-12 09:11 AM
    i have a Zune branded usb charger and it will not charge the playbook at all
    03-21-12 09:14 AM
    It'll be that the iDevice specific charger will have resistors on the data lines instead of a full short expected by the generic USB spec, which tells the device it is connected to a wall charger and is OK to request full current instead of 500 or 150mA. If you can't open the charger to check (dangerous) you can simulate the full charging mode by modifying an old USB lead and shorting the two data wires (middle pins) towards the phone.
    This is the solution and for US members, AT&T sells a BlackBerry charge only cable which will allow theses chargers to work properly. The 9900 is also sensitive to this with some generic chargers and will also need a charge cable with them.

For Canadian members, the PlayBook wall charger is on sale for $16.95 at the CrackBerry store.

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...-for-playbook/
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-21-12 at 09:18 AM.
    03-21-12 09:16 AM
    Is there any after-market charger that will charge the Playbook?
    I hope to find something with a USB port that I can use different cables with to charge my iPhone, Blackberry, Playbook and various other devices that need USB-out port at 5 volts.
    03-21-12 11:17 AM
    This is the solution and for US members, AT&T sells a BlackBerry charge only cable which will allow theses chargers to work properly. The 9900 is also sensitive to this with some generic chargers and will also need a charge cable with them.
    Does this mean that the problem is in the aftermarket cable, or in the aftermarket charger?

If I use the Belkin 2.1 amp 5 volt charger with the original cable that RIM supplied with the Playbook, will it work? I tried using an aftermarket cable (labeled USB micro for data and charging) and was unable to charge the Playbook. I have no idea if the fault lies with the charger or with the cable.

Does anyone out there have the Belkin 2.1 amp 5 v swivel charger? If it works, please post here. I will buy one and use it with the RIM factory cable until I can find another cable that will allow Playbook to charge.

PS.
    Purchasing another RIM factory charger is not an option for me.
    I want to find a small charger with a USB port that I can use different cables with to charge my iPhone, Blackberry, Playbook and various other devices that need USB-out port at 5 volts.
    03-21-12 11:33 AM
    If you look at wikipedia USB entry you will find that the standard for identifying a charger and it's amperage differs for various products.

If you want the iPad like charger to work with the Playbook, you may need to short the two data pins as mentioned in an earlier reply.

Some also require that the extra connector in the micro plug "x" should be connected to ground via a resistor.
    03-21-12 12:54 PM
    Does this mean that the problem is in the aftermarket cable, or in the aftermarket charger?
    The problem is with the charger. Most are setup for iPods which have a resistor built into their cables. A dedicated charge cable (bought from AT&T or one you shorted the data lines on) will work for all situations, all usb port type chargers.
    03-21-12 01:47 PM
    Exactly, what PDAMad said. Here's my long detailed version.

I've just spent a day figuring this out on my own.
    USB generic chargers or brand name, come in multiple flavours. For the PB, the center two pins need to be shorted together, to tell the PB that a charger is attached. When you first plug the charger into the Playbook, the device checks for the shorted wires. The PB then attempts to draw about 800ma.of current. Normal USB HOST ports (as found on your computer) are current limited to 500mA by spec. If the PB doesn't see the 800mA current then it resorts to a 500mA (I also detected 450mA once) current draw to charge the battery. If you have a high current charger, and the PB sees the 800mA, then it will attempt to draw about 1500 mA (1.5 amps), which is the high current spec. for USB (yes I know the Berry charger is RATED at 2000mA). Bonus answer, for no points. If your battery charger voltage drops below 4.5 volts, the PB will display an error message in the top left corner of the screen, "Playbook can not be charged from this device", or something like that. If the PB resorts to the 500mA charge option, the the battery Icon will display a "plug" Icon as well. If you get the lightening bolt Icon on the battery, your in high current fast charge mode. If you get nothing, then most likely (assuming the charger is working) pins 2 and 3 aren't shorted. My HTC phone charger works well with the PB, as does the Pandigital e-reader charger. Both have pins 2 and 3 internally shorted.
    Be thankful for BB taking a simple route. Apple sometimes has different voltages on pins 2 and 3 to signify high or low current devices.
    And why, you ask (yeah I know you asked) do they go to this much trouble for a battery charger. Well the answer is, if you plug two connects together, with 1.5 to 2.0 Amps of current in the circuit, you will cause arcing which will kill your USB connector (which is really tiny) in no time. So the connector is designed such that the two power carrying pins make contact first, with no load applied, (so no current flow), then the center two pins (2 and 3) make contact, sense the short on the wires, then tell the PB to turn on the battery charging switch inside the PB. Now current flows and the battery charges. No arcing of the contacts, and the USB connector might last it's rated 10,000 cycles.

Also, in order to reduce the number of wall warts for my next trip to Europe, I've modified a 4 port, cheapo USB hub, as a 4 port high current charger hub for my cell phone, PB, GPS, and picture storage device (damn, when is RIM going to enable OTG). I use one high current wall wart to power charge all four units at once through the hub. I just plug the standard USB connector into a hub port, and away I go. If I had had a six port device, I would have all the ports used. As it is one cell and and one MP3 player will have to take turns at the feeding trough. Beware, conditions do apply.

OBTW, if you exceed the current draw on newer switch mode wall warts, they usually shut down. To reset, unplug from source of power for 10 seconds or so.

Ray
    Angus_CB likes this.
    08-07-12 12:24 AM
    This might be the answer. I'm using the PB cord to charge it (so it's not the cord), and it's also not charging my Torch... but has no problem with my iPod...
    I'm willing to bet five cents that a charge only cable will work.
    08-08-12 05:19 AM
    I have had two Blackberry wall chargers that were supplied with the Playbook go bad. I know I could probably send them back. Whatever. I have found that all of my micro usb phone chargers will charge the Playbook. The lightening bolt does not appear but the plug symbol- it still charges, perhaps not as quickly but everyday my PB is filled up with electrons and ready to go. With two twenty year old kids still at home and my wife we have accumulated a bunch of these chargers. I user a Motorola Travel Charger 650 ma output most of the time and an LG Travel Adapter 1.0 amp output. So far no problems at all. When I used the BB ones it seemed like I was constantly having problems with my last Playbook charging, eventually it quit working. Got a new Playbook from Rim and my charger (second BB charger) seemed to have a problem with it right off so I tried one of my junk drawer chargers and have not had a problem since- four months I think now. So that is my two cents on the charger. So call me crazy, call me lazy, for sure I am not spending another dime on one so call me cheap too.
    08-08-12 07:23 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD