I searched the forum briefly and did not see this exact discussion.
    Now that bridge(on BB10) final let's you tether full Internet to PlayBook I am thinking of ditching my car stereo, install an amp and preamp and use a PlayBook (don't have one, never worked with it) as a central controller for online radio/music, Navigation (are there any good navigation apps for the PB?) and emails. It will also be removable for when needed.

Anyone did that and can share some pros and cons?
    How is the screen under sunlight?
    Are there any good radio streamin apps but like Pandora nad iHeart radio, some that allow you custom streams and playlists?

EDIT: A good navigation APP that can avoid traffic- that's the main purpose of being bridged +Online radio stream

And just to clarify - I am taking the whole stereo system out of my 2013 Mazda CX-5, planning to install small amp and preamp on its place and the PB infront of all that.

New question, is the sound output from the PB decent (sound quality, distortion, cross talk, etc)?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 09-20-13 at 12:44 PM.
    09-20-13 11:48 AM
    Well that's ingenuity for you!
    I had never thought of doing that! Let's see if someone else has any experience!!!
    09-20-13 12:02 PM
    I searched the forum briefly and did not see this exact discussion.
    Now that bridge(on BB10) final let's you tether full Internet to PlayBook I am thinking of ditching my car stereo, install an amp and preamp and use a PlayBook (don't have one, never worked with it) as a central controller for online radio/music, Navigation (are there any good navigation apps for the PB?) and emails. It will also be removable for when needed.

Anyone did that and can share some pros and cons?
    How is the screen under sunlight?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I use my "play" Playbook (I have 2 64gb units 1 for work, 1 for media play) and I have every cd I own on it (250 plus) ripped thru Windows Media Player to WMA Lossless (no mp3 compression), plus a number of movies I ripped/converted thru Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate for airplane "downtime". It acts as amedia "server" to my Audio/Video system connected thru a BB Music Gateway for the audio, and plugged into my 60" class TV. I use my Torch 9850 as a remote and is is right with the world.

As for the Auto part: I installed a BT module for my Honda Ridgeline to pump thru Stereo, works great. (You should "audit" various BT modules as they are not created equal. Some sound much better than others.) I mounted with a I car kit I found on Amazon, and it mounts the Playbook right in from of the head unit for access. I use Neutron Music player to access the music files and I just on thumping down the road.

Navigation? I use Maggellan, A bit wonky at first usage, Learnign curve takes a few days while sitting in the car going around the block for what seemed like a year, but got it dialed in, and works sweet. Uses the bridge function of the 9850 for data/map updating if you haven't saved to the cache. They have some nice "british voice packs" available.

You can't go wrong with the Playbook, even tho it is EOL )end Of Life from BB side), but it is still a good piece of hardware, and it works well. Amazon has 64 gb unitsa for about 140.00. NEW in the box!

Get the biggest one you can, you WILL use the memory!
    I have no issues when the sun hits the PB in my Ridge, no problem seeing the screen.

You won't regret.

c
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 09-20-13 at 12:18 PM.
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-20-13 12:03 PM
    I actually did that. Let me get some pictures, it's not very integrated but workable.
    09-20-13 12:07 PM
    I bought a car mount for my PB and use Google maps to navigate, I love it. When in trafic (we have a lot of that in Montreal lol) it's pretty cool to be able to keep an eye on twitter and CB, an even watch TV. ( a bit illegal tho . ) The only thing I'm missing is a new radio with a 1/8 input jack to be able to listen to all the music I have on my PB.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-20-13 12:08 PM
    I just snapped a 64gb Used - Like New from Amazon Warehouse deals for $131 shipped. 30 days hassle free returns too.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Carl Estes and anon(1852343) like this.
    09-20-13 12:26 PM
    New question, is the sound output from the PB decent (sound quality, distortion, cross talk, etc)?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-20-13 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    YES! For a tablet (which happens to have FORWARD facing speakers) it is. Plug in a good set of headphones and you will be amazed. You will notice that if you are watching a movie using just the PB speakers, if the film has a good soudtrack and a good sound engineer, you will be surprised that you will hear little things of to the side and such. You can hear the stereo separation.
    One accesory you might want to look at is the MicroHDMI cable to plug into you big screen tv. That and a BB phone with Bridge, you now have a remote controlled Playbook to play your movie you either ripped/converted and stored on device.

You will be happy.

c
    09-20-13 01:40 PM
    You definately want to run the playbook through a stereo via a headphone jack, or preferably bluetooth as although the playbook speakers sound good, they are/may not be enough on their own in traffic or highway driving or with the windows open. There are many map programs but they all have the same problem and that is due to Blackberrry not the app. The playbook screen automatically goes off after maximum of five minutes or no activity. Left off much longer the device goes into standby and loses the gps signal. Need to run another app to keep the screen alive and thus there is not full screen gps app that will keep the screen alive. Stupidest feature ( or non feature) of the playbook in my opinion.

I have a bluetooth bose soundlink and it works amazing with the playbook. You can also stream your music from the cloud or use other internet based music services while bridged.

I have even heard of others that set the playbook up as a dash cam as well as music service for their cars.

Have fun.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-20-13 02:03 PM
    I have been running Magellan Compass for navigation, and no, it does not time out,(for me), stays active. Use my bridged data to the 9850.I modded a Rapid Charger (which used the magnetic connector) to a 1.8 amp output car charger. NO power problems, keeps it charged even in heavy use, ie magellam running, Neutron playing to BT module added to factory audio, just thumpin and bumpin....

I'm not sure why mine stays active, but it does.........and now that I think about it, it's the only one that does. All other apps time out/standby.

Have to see/what what may be different.....

c
    Cynycl and curve-20 like this.
    09-20-13 02:31 PM
    I have been running Magellan Compass for navigation, and no, it does not time out,(for me), stays active. Use my bridged data to the 9850.I modded a Rapid Charger (which used the magnetic connector) to a 1.8 amp output car charger. NO power problems, keeps it charged even in heavy use, ie magellam running, Neutron playing to BT module added to factory audio, just thumpin and bumpin....

I'm not sure why mine stays active, but it does.........and now that I think about it, it's the only one that does. All other apps time out/standby.

Have to see/what what may be different.....

c
    Now that you mention it I heard that Magellan would keep the playbook awake, just haven't had to use if for a road trip to test it out.

Good to know, even though I think I forgot what I already knew once.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-20-13 02:34 PM
    I just snapped a 64gb Used - Like New from Amazon Warehouse deals for $131 shipped. 30 days hassle free returns too.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    The next thing you want to drop a few bucks on is the:

Sprint Car Charger for Blackberry Playbook Outpuit 1.8 Amps 5.99
    AND the
    BB Playbook Rapid Charger @9.95
    Both on Amazon

And you will splice the magnetic connector from the BB rapid charger to the Car charger. That way no power worries, always charged.

c
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-20-13 02:42 PM
    Hahahha, of course I will use the car stereo, didn't even think for a second to use the built in speakers. As I already mention a few times, a special amp/preamp will be hooked up to the PB.

Project had already started...

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-20-13 02:49 PM
    We have a new car coming (Mercedes GLK250). We are getting the basic radio but it apparently has Bluetooth capability for phone and audio. But one owners said he is unable to link the Playbook with the radio. I guess I will find out once car is delivered, but wonder if anyone else here has experience pairing PB with a recent Mercedes radio Audio 20 AM/FM/Single CD.
    09-20-13 04:35 PM
    The next thing you want to drop a few bucks on is the:

Sprint Car Charger for Blackberry Playbook Outpuit 1.8 Amps 5.99
    AND the
    BB Playbook Rapid Charger @9.95
    Both on Amazon

And you will splice the magnetic connector from the BB rapid charger to the Car charger. That way no power worries, always charged.

c
    Have u done this?
    I am curious why they are 3 connectors?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-20-13 08:27 PM
    We have a new car coming (Mercedes GLK250). We are getting the basic radio but it apparently has Bluetooth capability for phone and audio. But one owners said he is unable to link the Playbook with the radio. I guess I will find out once car is delivered, but wonder if anyone else here has experience pairing PB with a recent Mercedes radio Audio 20 AM/FM/Single CD.
    Generaly speaking, BT music streaming SUCKS. L2DP is using very high lossy compression (worse than mp3) and decompression on each end and if your music is already mp3 or something else it is like freezing and defrosting your dinner twice. But hey, I am an audiophile so for the average Joe it might be alright.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-20-13 08:33 PM
    Here's a prototype
    kb5zht and anon(1852343) like this.
    09-21-13 12:31 AM
    09-21-13 12:34 AM
    el31415 ,
    I helpful links, thanks.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-21-13 10:37 AM
    I was planning on the same thing. I use Slacker radio instead of satellite and have my mp3's ... So I was contmplating getting a cupholder mount and permanantly leaving a playbook in my truck with the wifi on and so when I get in the truck, *click* i can get an internet connection via hotspot and do my thing. CD's are almost a thing of the past for me.
    09-21-13 11:54 AM
    Has anyone used thehdmi out to go to rca to feed the car system. Possibly better sound. Just curious

Made possible by my BlackBerry Z10 Bad**s phone
    09-21-13 01:02 PM
    Has anyone used thehdmi out to go to rca to feed the car system. Possibly better sound. Just curious

From what I hear, the HDMI port on the PlayBook is very gentle + it's on the bottom so I will probably pass. Furthermore, all MicroHDMIs I have seen are not very stiff (unlike MicroUSB) so there is a chance of disconnecting.

The way I am building this it will be removable, mostlikely with magnetic power connector and right angle 3.5 mm audio jack.

I need to see and test the PlayBook before I proceed to the next step - will be delivered on Tuesday.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-21-13 01:11 PM
    Just curious because I have been pondering this idea for a couple years now. Gonna put it in my 69 camaro I am currently building. Trying to get it all figured out by the time it needs installed. Would be nice to integrate it with obd2 also

09-21-13 02:24 PM
    You know, there is BT OBD2 transmitters.
    The question is:
    Is there a OBD2 app in the BBW? Or could it be ported from Android?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-21-13 06:36 PM
    Actually found that yesterday elm327 coupled with th torque app will get you a connection. Although currently the blue tooth elm327 will not work since blue tooth is not supported for this app yet. So a wife version of this plug in must be used but still will work

09-22-13 02:08 PM
35 12