Hey all,

I know its been asked before, but anyone can tell me a good playbook car charger I should buy?

Being able to charge my cell and playbook at the same time is always good too.

Thanks
    05-10-12 06:43 PM
    Their always this.

Simple Google search found this.

05-10-12 07:44 PM
    I just bought a Rocket Fish premium vehicle charger pn RF-PMC55 at Best Buy in the mobile phones area. Price was $28, which was more than I wanted to spend, but it is a 5V, 2 amp unit. Comes with integral coiled cable with a Mico USB plug, plus a standard USB port on the adapter that plugs into the cigarette port so you can plug another charging cable into it. It charges the PB while on, so I think the 2amps is available through either port. Not sure what happens when you use both, but depending on what the second device is you will likely be okay.

I haven't done a full charge yet, but so far looks good.
    05-10-12 07:50 PM
    05-10-12 09:34 PM
    New user here...

I've seen the threads about suitable car chargers, but still having problems. I bought a USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I went for the higher powered option which is 5V 2.1A but still no joy. When connected, both the Playbook and my BB don't recognise a charge (although the adapter charges my wife's iPhone perfectly).

Any advise would be appreciated.
    07-30-12 08:29 AM
    New user here...

I've seen the threads about suitable car chargers, but still having problems. I bought a USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I went for the higher powered option which is 5V 2.1A but still no joy. When connected, both the Playbook and my BB don't recognise a charge (although the adapter charges my wife's iPhone perfectly).

Any advise would be appreciated.
    You might need what is called a CHARGE ONLY cable. It the US, AT&T sells it for about $10. Two lines are shorted in some fashion that allows more power to flow through the cable. Folks have made their own and there's a thread or so discussing what needs to be cut/combined.

I think this is the model:

USB Charging Cable - Micro USB accessories from AT&T
    SteveSmith.uk likes this.
    07-30-12 09:24 AM
    I just use the car charger that I have for my BB phone...Works GREAT!!!!
    07-30-12 10:37 AM
    lol at work I run the rapid charger off an inverter. Lots of cabels but damn does it charge fast.
    07-30-12 06:14 PM
    07-30-12 07:19 PM
    lol at work I run the rapid charger off an inverter. Lots of cabels but damn does it charge fast.
    This is the best solution. I still use a USB charger (works well), but I don't like it as I think that one day it will break the too-fragile USB plug receptacle on the Playbook.
    07-31-12 04:08 AM
    BlackBerry design their car chargers with the data+ and the data- pins shorted together.
    This is why the BlackBerry brand car chargers work but 90% of aftermarket Chargers do not. You can make an aftermarket charger
    work all you need to do is get a 12 V to USB car charger that has the female USB connector on it. Open it up and solder a jumper between
    the two middle pins (pins 2 and 3)on the USB connector, they are the data+ and the data- pins. Once those two are shorted together
    use a USB to mini USB cable that is not a charge only cable as the charge only cables will not carry the data+ and data-
    up to the device as the device needs to see those two pins shorted together.
    10-21-12 11:19 PM
    That's the best one there is for it. And it has an extra usb port for charging another device like your phone.
    10-22-12 12:18 AM
    10-27-12 08:00 AM
    I use the one by Motorola, I did a search and I bought this one on Amazon. It is clear with a "M" with a blue light when plugging into the car...it works great and is recommended for the Playbook.
    10-27-12 09:18 AM
    Looked at that - By the time I get it shipped to Canada it will cost over $37.00. They charge shipping and tax! Need to find an alternative.

I looked through my old stuff and found this unused Belkin USB 12V adapter. It may have been for my iPaq which required 5V. Not sure. But that is same as PB right?

It has a 3A fuse.

I can plug the PB USB cord into this, but wonder if it will charge. I guess it won't do any harm to try?

Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-belkin1.jpg
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-belkin2.jpg
    Last edited by Kwela123; 10-30-12 at 06:23 PM.
    10-30-12 05:07 PM
    Looked at that - By the time I get it shipped to Canada it will cost over $37.00. They charge shipping and tax! Need to find an alternative.

I looked through my old stuff and found this unused Belkin USB 12V adapter. It may have been for my iPaq which required 5V. Not sure. But that is same as PB right?

It has a 3A fuse.

I can plug the PB USB cord into this, but wonder if it will charge. I guess it won't do any harm to try?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belkin1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	124239
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belkin2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	124240
    Fascinating - lots of circuitry to turn a car battery into a pb power source!
    10-30-12 06:45 PM
    Fascinating - lots of circuitry to turn a car battery into a pb power source!
    I got as far as the fuse - I understood that part

I imagine all the adapters have something similar. Probably needed because it is alternator output that needs to be conditioned. Voltage could be anything from 9-15v. And it may not be nice clean 12v DC - The rectifiers and voltage regulators on cars are not that sophisticated. But thinking about that, cars do have computers - perhaps they have their own power conditioning circuits (but not the cigar lighter!)

I have asked Belkin about that adapter, but not holding my breath on a quick reply.
    KDTurvey likes this.
    10-30-12 07:06 PM
    I purchased the one bb offers - I got it HERE at their last sale.
    10-30-12 09:37 PM
    I purchased the one bb offers - I got it HERE at their last sale.
    They would need to be on sale C$37 is a bit steep!
    10-30-12 09:58 PM
    Hey all,

I know its been asked before, but anyone can tell me a good playbook car charger I should buy?

Being able to charge my cell and playbook at the same time is always good too.

Thanks

GENUINE BLACKBERRY CAR CHARGER FOR 9700 9780 Bold 9800 9860 Torch Playbook 9900 | eBay
    10-31-12 08:36 AM
    Thanks for that - I bought one. US$8.95 including postage from UK to Canada.

One thing - It has BB logo, but doesn't look like the ones on BB or CB sites. Yet it says it is "Genuine" ??
    Last edited by Kwela123; 10-31-12 at 02:58 PM.
    10-31-12 09:50 AM
    I tried the Belkin and PB red light did come on and charge symbol appeared on screen (with PB turned off). But after a minute or so, the red light went out and the charging symbol disappeared. Don't think I saw pulsing green light as I do with wall charger. With PB on don't get charging symbol on battery symbol. This is using PB USB cable with Belkin car adapter.

I have several car adapters with mini usb plugs. One of these (for my GPS) has 1A charge capability. Another is off an early BB phone. Seeing I always have GPS in car anyway and we only have one 12V outlet, perhaps I could use that charger/adapter with a mini-micro adapter?
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-17628.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-80451.jpg  
    10-31-12 03:22 PM
    There can't be a better buy than that one at $8.95 shipped. I have seen the same thing for 3X as much from China. The unit I ordered arrived today - 6days from UK!

I tested it in car and it works just fine. Keeps charging while I am using PB even although just 1A.

I am suspicious about the sellers claim that this is a genuine Blackberry charger (particularly because I saw that you could buy them in 50 packs from China priced at $3.33/unit!). It arrived with no packaging - just in plain bubble envelope.

Even if a knock-off - seems like best priced car charger available. Just 1A but that seems enough unless you also have a phone.

I have posted some pics below - Do you think it is genuine??

OverView
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-pb-charger-overview.jpg
    Label
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-pb-charger-label.jpg
    End - this was covered with sticky glue residue when I got it - Lights up blue when in use.
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-pb-charger-top-end-view.jpg

This site has what seems same unit, but does not claim it is genuine:
    http://www.xtek.ca/in-car-charger-fo...900-p-676.html
    Playbook Car Charger recommendation?-bb_micro_car.jpg
    Last edited by Kwela123; 11-06-12 at 04:53 PM.
    11-06-12 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD