05-03-14 06:00 AM
121 123 ...
tools
    I noticed the other day that my camera wasn't working anymore. It had worked before - both still images and video - but now the camera application screen just stays blank. The app also becomes very unresponsive trying to switch from camera to video camera (the icons on the screen do change eventually, though the camera never turns on). I tried the Video Chat application - the camera doesn't work there either. Just upgraded to 1.0.7 and to the new Bridge, but it still doesn't work. Anybody have this issue and find a way to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Ian
    theonick and Mr.Softberry like this.
    07-19-11 10:09 AM
    I think you should call RIM and have them look at the device. There might be a physical problem w/ the device's camera.
    07-19-11 10:49 AM
    I noticed the other day that my camera wasn't working anymore. It had worked before - both still images and video - but now the camera application screen just stays blank. The app also becomes very unresponsive trying to switch from camera to video camera (the icons on the screen do change eventually, though the camera never turns on). I tried the Video Chat application - the camera doesn't work there either. Just upgraded to 1.0.7 and to the new Bridge, but it still doesn't work. Anybody have this issue and find a way to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Ian
    I'm having the same issue, however mine launches with Black and White horizontal lines in the background instead of an image
    07-19-11 01:55 PM
    I have the same issue. Did you find a resolution? Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    08-21-11 03:30 PM
    I had an issue with the Camera also, security wipe fixed it. Back up first!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 04:41 PM
    Count me in on this.

I'm also getting the strange bars on mine. Switching from front to back doesn't change it.

Was even using it yesterday to try and read a QR code off a poster in the metro.
    When I got home, it wasn't working anymore. I did a security wipe, nothing.

I'll be contacting support to try and figure it out, if anyone else has some news it would be nice to hear.
    08-23-11 06:28 AM
    anything new on this? I realized yesterday that mine is doing this also. The black screen and slow/unresponsive camera buttons. It'll switch between video/camera fine, but no video on the screen. and the security wipe did not work.
    09-16-11 01:01 PM
    Going on vacation next week for almost 3 weeks. So unfortunately didn't send it in yet.

My 90 days support is gone so I'd have to pay just to talk to someone on this, and they'll basically just tell me to send it in. When I get back I'll check in on them and send them my playbook no doubt.
    09-16-11 01:06 PM
    Going on vacation next week for almost 3 weeks. So unfortunately didn't send it in yet.

My 90 days support is gone so I'd have to pay just to talk to someone on this, and they'll basically just tell me to send it in. When I get back I'll check in on them and send them my playbook no doubt.
    You should not have to pay to call them about a warranty repair or rma.
    09-16-11 02:01 PM
    Well, I assume that'll be how they handle it. If it's deemed waranty repair they'll waive the support fee. But if you're passed the 90 days, aparently they ask for credit card info before anything.

Never had to deal with RIM on this, so no real idea. Just read it on their site.
    09-16-11 02:03 PM
    Not sure if anyone found a resolution to this. My Playbook camera worked fine, then one day it stopped working. When I launch the camera app the screen is just black. I did a security wipe and tried it again. All of a sudden the front facing camera would work but the rear still showed a black screen. I did another security wipe and then both cameras stopped working again. Did another security wipe and still nothing. im stumped. I can not use vchat or any other camera app.
    09-17-11 12:56 PM
    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
    awattwell likes this.
    09-17-11 01:31 PM
    Hey guys im having the same issue!!!! i even opened it up myself to see if i could disconnect and reconnect somthing but nothing ive done the security wipe the fron camara was working but not they both say black just see the buttons and if you press them it freezes anyone found a solution??????? this happened out of no where!!!!!!
    09-23-11 07:54 AM
    ok im calling the number i'll keep you guys posted if my problem is solved
    Ahmet Saldak and Berryuman like this.
    09-23-11 08:46 AM
    My camera is working. I just now noticed that there is a digital zoom on it. I've taken tons of pics and vids and never noticed that capability before.
    triniberry10 likes this.
    09-23-11 08:58 AM
    Anyone got the solution on this matter? I just noticed that my PB camera becomes blank as well. Security wiped several times, upgraded to the just released OS, and none of them solved the camera problem
    10-06-11 08:37 PM
    dunno where to post this but the pb video recorder records video and audio out of sync. becomes apparent on longer videos
    10-07-11 02:00 AM
    My stopped the other day, but a restart fixed the problem for me.
    10-07-11 04:49 AM
    If the camera seemed to stop working after an update was done, it is possible that the update was not downloaded and install properly, even a security wipe will not fix this as it will use the update that is currently installed on the device. You need to reload the software on the playbook.

WARNING YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA IF YOU DON'T BACKUP!!!!!!!

First connect your playbook to the desktop manager, I would recommend that you have the latest release of the BB Desktop Manager. Now once connect it will display the Playbook as an option on the left had side. At this point, last chance to backup the unit.

Second, disconnect the playbook and turn it off, not sleep OFF. Once off and the BB Desktop Manager is open, reconnect the playbook, while it is OFF. In a few seconds, it will prompt that it was unable to connect and give the option to UPDATE, click this. It only is there for a few seconds....

This process can take up to 60 mins, so once the download and install starts you can leave it and come back.

Now when it is finished, you will start the Out-Of-Box setup and if the camera was not working from a previous update, it should be working now....

It worked for me, it procedure was done on a Windows 7 x64 desktop, not sure on a Mac.

Hope this helps someone...

- Wired2Work -
    Heavens1 and alnamvet68 like this.
    10-08-11 11:52 AM
    so this is what i get ln both camera and video camera.
    ive taken it apart, resoldered the contacts
    ive wiped and updated it
    ive tried OS2.0 and 1.7 and still no difference
    im in the UK so i dont get the same support from RIM
    some help would be nice
    11-07-11 07:03 AM
    I'd say you have a real problem. I don't know why you don't or didn't have warranty support but taking it apart probably ended any warranty coverage. If rebooting, unbricking and/or trying the beta os has not helped, it is probably a physical problem that you did not discover even with the dissection.

Good luck.
    11-07-11 09:33 AM
    Anyone solve theirs? Mine seemed to stop working when i tried the dev beta. I wiped and restored to previous version... Rear Camera blank... same issues as everyone else.

ideas?
    11-07-11 08:51 PM
    Anyone have any luck with this? Upgraded to 1.0.8 the other day and was hoping that would fix the issue but it didn't. Still getting the white/grey bars that the other poster added above.
    11-28-11 07:53 PM
    You should be covered by the 1 year warranty.
    11-28-11 08:50 PM
    ^^^I got my PB as a gift for developing an app. How would i get it covered? I don't have a receipt, at least i don't think i do. Do i call RIM customer service?
    11-29-11 07:47 AM
121 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD