Just an update. RIM comes back and claims liquid damage again. I'm raising H E double hockey sticks of course!!! I told them I wouldn't even have sent it in if I spilled something on it. This is some absurd BS RIM!!!! It would be one thing if the problem was't becoming more and more common. C'mon RIM you gotta do better. Then had the nerve to tell me, oh we'll send it back "As Is" (I was furious at this point) Spoke to a RMA Supervisor, told him I want a new one and I want it now!!! I've been pro RIM for as long as I can remember. I'm a BES Admin for Christ's sake, and you mean to tell me (WATER DAMAGE, WA, WATER DAMAGE)
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 02-24-12 at 07:08 AM.
    02-24-12 07:03 AM
    Well RMA support sent me the picture they took of my so called liquid damaged playbook. How for the life of me, did this happen. I do not know. I digress, its not worth fighting for.

Attachment 103704

I'm not even sure thats my playbook. Whatever 3rd Party repair facility they use is full of poo!!!! Check out this blog post I found.

The Angry Smartphone Guy: Research in Motions PlayBook Repair Nightmare

I know i'm not alone!!!!
    02-24-12 12:12 PM
    Is that some kind of "dye" sticker that reacts to moisture? How much humidity is too much?
    02-24-12 01:26 PM
    Is that some kind of "dye" sticker that reacts to moisture? How much humidity is too much?
    I'm assuming so. Just so absurd, because I never spilled a drop on it. It would have to darn near be submerged. Not only that, why is it that nothing else failed
    02-24-12 01:51 PM
    Backup your PB and do a security wipe then restore your backup, if that doesn't work call RIM tech support.
    02-24-12 01:58 PM
    Backup your PB and do a security wipe then restore your backup, if that doesn't work call RIM tech support.
    I've been through all that. Read through the thread bro!
    02-24-12 02:06 PM
    Crap, I just realized my camera isn't working. It's all black. The odd thing is that I also can't seem to get the button to show to switch front and back. And I only had the zoom slider come up once. So it seems like some kind of software issue. I haven't used the camera for quite a while, so I'm not sure when the issue started. After a shutdown and power back up, when I go in I'm getting:

Camera Error
    The camera is in use. Close any other instances of the camera and try again.

So I guess I'll try a security wipe and hope for the best.
    02-26-12 10:42 PM
    Crap, I just realized my camera isn't working. It's all black. The odd thing is that I also can't seem to get the button to show to switch front and back. And I only had the zoom slider come up once. So it seems like some kind of software issue. I haven't used the camera for quite a while, so I'm not sure when the issue started. After a shutdown and power back up, when I go in I'm getting:

Camera Error
    The camera is in use. Close any other instances of the camera and try again.

So I guess I'll try a security wipe and hope for the best.
    I have the same issues with my playbook and tried a security wipe about 10 times and have no luck. Please tell me what you get.
    02-26-12 11:19 PM
    No luck. I either get the Camera Error message or nothing at all (no on-screen buttons either). I can do a swipe down for the menu, but that's about it. Actually, after changing the ratio and stuff, the on-screen buttons for camera and video came up, and the picture taking button, but they don't seem to do anything. This sucks.
    02-27-12 12:32 AM
    Reloaded from DM (I believe it's referred to as the debrick method), and it is still getting the error. I'm going to have to contact them to try to get a replacement. This really sucks. I remember now that the camera didn't work when I tried it while on the beta OS2, but I thought nothing of it since I figured it was a beta issue.
    02-27-12 01:17 AM
    Just an update. I finally got around to contacting support. The lady was very nice and helpful, and actually activated my free 90-day support starting today (rather than from the original date of purchase - which was launch day). So I don't need to worry about getting charged, which is a relief.

I did the dance again of a full power shutdown and security wipe. Since I'm off the phone now, I emailed back that I still get the error, so we'll see what the next step is.

So far, a much better experience than dealing with, Facebook, for example. I had my fan page deleted without warning and I am stuck in a support loop , with automated emails telling me they have a large volume of requests and I should fill out the form AGAIN. So I did and I got 5 more emails telling me to do it again.
    03-05-12 03:36 PM
    RIM came through for me. After some fuss, my brand new playbook is on it way. Wahoo wahoo!!!
    03-07-12 01:06 PM
    I'm wondering if anyone having a problem has moved the icon from its original position? It's just a guess, I have seen instances of icons losing their path. Though I guess a clean install would put it back. Worth a shot, anyway.
    03-07-12 03:22 PM
    I'm wondering if anyone having a problem has moved the icon from its original position? It's just a guess, I have seen instances of icons losing their path. Though I guess a clean install would put it back. Worth a shot, anyway.
    Good luck with that one. 5 reloads and no dice!
    03-07-12 04:26 PM
    I ended up sending my PB in for an RMA. I got a notice that it was fixed and sent back, so I should get it today, although I can't seem to get the current status because my serial number now says it is invalid for support. So I guess that means they gave me a replacement one. The original one had the hard-to-press power button (not that it was a huge deal for me), so maybe the replacement will have it raised. Can't wait to be able to use it again.
    03-19-12 10:22 AM
    Got my PB back. Well, a new PB as a replacement. It has a raised power button too. Most importantly, the camera works. Yay!
    03-20-12 09:59 AM
    Same here I have the same problem... Wow like it started today at school... I leant my pb to my friend (very trust worthy ) and he asked me like 2 secs later why the camera was not working and I said try a reboot still no luck I am only 14 and no not spoilt so I can't really send it to RIM... Someone help... Please and thankyou
    04-03-12 01:14 AM
    Why can't you send it to rim? That may be the only way to fix it.

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    04-03-12 09:04 AM
    F2- You might want to add to your debrick instructions.
    Perform a backup first.
    04-03-12 09:18 AM
    I did everything what F2 said and my camera still didn't work.
    What I did to fix the problem was to drain the battery till I couldn't turn it on anymore. Then put the charger on give it awhile and bingo my camera has been fine ever since. I really think the chip that controls the camera screws up in some sort of power cycle.
    04-03-12 09:29 AM
    I did everything what F2 said and my camera still didn't work.
    What I did to fix the problem was to drain the battery till I couldn't turn it on anymore. Then put the charger on give it awhile and bingo my camera has been fine ever since. I really think the chip that controls the camera screws up in some sort of power cycle.
    That's interesting. Thanks for the information.
    04-03-12 09:49 AM
    F2- You might want to add to your debrick instructions.
    Perform a backup first.
    Just fixed my macro to add that!
    04-03-12 11:37 AM
    That's interesting. Thanks for the information.
    I was just going to say the same thing. Good info.
    04-03-12 11:38 AM
    I've done all the security wipes and debricks with no luck. I finally decided to call RIM Tech Support.

Even though I purchased it back in July of 2011, I hadn't registered for support. They registered me for support and took down my info. I let them know the steps I had already taken and they had me go into the Help app and send some support logs for the call. Then they forwarded me to the RMA department. They are sending a box for me to send my Playbook back in.

So far the experience was quite good. They were friendly and helpful an said they had seen the issue before. I'm just hoping things go as well when they get my Playbook. Anyone know what kind of turn-around time to expect? I'm going to go thru withdrawal if I'm without my Playbook for too long.
    04-04-12 10:02 AM
    I've done all the security wipes and debricks with no luck. I finally decided to call RIM Tech Support.

Even though I purchased it back in July of 2011, I hadn't registered for support. They registered me for support and took down my info. I let them know the steps I had already taken and they had me go into the Help app and send some support logs for the call. Then they forwarded me to the RMA department. They are sending a box for me to send my Playbook back in.

So far the experience was quite good. They were friendly and helpful an said they had seen the issue before. I'm just hoping things go as well when they get my Playbook. Anyone know what kind of turn-around time to expect? I'm going to go thru withdrawal if I'm without my Playbook for too long.
    Entire process takes about a week If everything goes as planned.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 04-04-12 at 11:20 AM.
    04-04-12 11:15 AM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD