Well, called up BB Playbook support, did the whole forced update/wipe thing. And currently waiting for RMA aproval or whatever.

Probably going to send it in, I suggest you call them up and explain your issues. Btw the screenshots above are exactly what I got on mine also. Nothing fixed it either so send in for RMA if you didn't open the playbook.
    11-29-11 07:09 PM
    There's another thread about getting it as a app developer. Someone finally provided a contact if you have trouble with the normal support folks.
    11-29-11 08:47 PM
    OS2 hasn't helped, camera's still f**ked -_-

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-30-11 06:41 AM
    No problem so far. should receive RMA box 1-2 days.
    I doubt it's not RMA-able since my problem isn't unique. At least a few other ppl got it.
    11-30-11 06:48 AM
    Tried the clear (Update from Desktop Manager with a shutdown playbook).

Still no dice. Front camera works after a while of just sitting there... still nothing on the rear camera.

Decided to call BlackBerry. Been back and forth for 22 minutes now (still on phone). Will keep you guys updated as to what happens.
    12-07-11 09:48 AM
    Mine is on it's way to RMA.
    If you have the bars like me, just send it in.
    Not sure about any other issues like not showing up. It takes a few seconds to show usually, not supposed to be long.
    12-07-11 09:50 AM
    Got my PB today, didn't get a chance to try out the camera, but they seem to have changed the button assembly (which probably includes the cameras).
    So buttons are raised and feel much better.

Will report back on camera status, though I'd have to assume it's fixed since they sent it back without telling me it was unrepairable.
    12-13-11 01:59 PM
    I had an issue with the Camera also, security wipe fixed it. Back up first!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    security wipe is the only option which I have not tried. I shall try this and update.
    01-13-12 12:14 PM
    First and foremost, good luck to everyone who is having this same problem. I JUST got a replacement PlayBook from RIM after a month of fighting with them about it. Here is a quick rundown:

Front facing camera went first... all black. I never had any the lines across the screen issue. The on-screen buttons would show up, but no response from the camera. After trouble shooting a few days with and without RIM's help, the REAR camera stopped working too. In the interim, I noticed that wiggling around the volume and play buttons on top would sometimes get the cameras to work, but eventually that stopped working too.

I sent my PB in to RIM and after a few days they got back to me and claimed there was water damage... Impossible. The ONLY thing I can think of is possible humidity? I made enough of a fuss and eventually talked RIM's loyalty dept into a free replacement. (Over 30 days later...)

Long story short, keep these things away from water, humidity, sweaty cracks, whatever... The hardware must be quite shoddy if this is happening this frequently. Good luck to all of you!
    01-13-12 05:13 PM
    I'm ready to contact RIM about the 2 issues i have on my Playbook. Both cameras are no longer working (since the summer) and I cannot backup anything on the PB.

I'm an app developer and got my PB free. Should I contact RIM using the number on page 1 or can someone point me to the thread that has the numbers for app developers (I searched and can't find it)? Which route would you suggest?
    01-16-12 02:36 PM
    I'm ready to contact RIM about the 2 issues i have on my Playbook. Both cameras are no longer working (since the summer) and I cannot backup anything on the PB.

I'm an app developer and got my PB free. Should I contact RIM using the number on page 1 or can someone point me to the thread that has the numbers for app developers (I searched and can't find it)? Which route would you suggest?
    Contact the number on the first page. They'll RMA it for you. I had the same issue and that's what I did. Since it's an RMA they won't charge you.
    01-16-12 02:50 PM
    ^^^Thanks. Contacted the number on the first page. Went through the first bells and whistles for about a half hour. Had to wipe the device (lost all my info b/c I can't back anything up). And still the camera and the backup didnt work. Called back and they started the work on sending out a box so I can send them the device. B/c i'm well past the 90 days, they are going to try to fix it. If there efforts in fixing it aren't successful, a new PB will be sent back. Pleased the whole process was pretty painless. Let's hope that continues.
    01-17-12 06:58 PM
    First and foremost, good luck to everyone who is having this same problem. I JUST got a replacement PlayBook from RIM after a month of fighting with them about it. Here is a quick rundown:

Front facing camera went first... all black. I never had any the lines across the screen issue. The on-screen buttons would show up, but no response from the camera. After trouble shooting a few days with and without RIM's help, the REAR camera stopped working too. In the interim, I noticed that wiggling around the volume and play buttons on top would sometimes get the cameras to work, but eventually that stopped working too.

I sent my PB in to RIM and after a few days they got back to me and claimed there was water damage... Impossible. The ONLY thing I can think of is possible humidity? I made enough of a fuss and eventually talked RIM's loyalty dept into a free replacement. (Over 30 days later...)

Long story short, keep these things away from water, humidity, sweaty cracks, whatever... The hardware must be quite shoddy if this is happening this frequently. Good luck to all of you!
    Good advice; and for you bizarro folks who like to take your lunchbreaks in the employee head to do number 3, pay real close attention.
    01-17-12 07:01 PM
    I had to go through the usual loops as well, wipe, off wipe with DM, etc.

Only thing I can think of for me would've been hot metro in pants pocket the day before. But they didn't say anything about water damage. I think the whole camera button assembly is probably not great since the buttons seemed to get pushed further and further in. MIght've been that too.
    01-17-12 07:19 PM
    Update on my situation: After trying the wipe and reinstall of the OS, RIM issued an RMA. I received the Fedex box on Wednesday afternoon. Put it in a self serve fedex box that evening. It made it to Nashville TN (from Toronto) by Thursday. No call or anything. It was back to me and fixed by Monday. WOW! Both issues were fixed. The broken camera and the backup problem. Nice to see a company take care of there product quickly and easily for a change.
    01-23-12 07:48 PM
    Oh the pain, I'm in the same boat. Funny tech support assured me reloading the OS would work! HA!!! Oh well hopefully I get it back before OS 2.0. Man this hurts!!!
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 02-06-12 at 08:59 PM.
    02-06-12 07:09 PM
    perform a security wipe ! that will solve the problem
    NOTE: back up first
    02-07-12 10:07 AM
    perform a security wipe ! that will solve the problem
    NOTE: back up first
    THX but I tried it three times. Even with Tech support on the phone! You sound like the support guy..
    02-07-12 10:40 AM
    I also have an issue with my front camera. No picture, but all the software buttons are on. I noticed this after the 1.0.7 update. Also noticed that the rear camera video recording would stop after a few seconds, or the audio would be offset. Was going to wait for OS 2 to see if it would resolve itself, but decided not to wait after all. I had performed a security wipe and three updates from a turned-off unit. Didn't resolve the issue. Called tech support and after two hours got the RMA. Hoping to have a pristine unit to greet OS 2.
    02-07-12 11:43 AM
    Well just got off the phone with RIM after 2 days of poor english speaking techs!!! WHAT A HEADACHE!!! RMA Approved, box on the way. I hope this goes quickly. I'm going through playbook withdrawals already. I even had a dream last night that OS 2 came out, everyone was raving about it, and all I could do is sit on the sidelines playbookless! I'm so close to buying one as a hold over, lol.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 02-09-12 at 10:28 AM.
    02-07-12 12:46 PM
    Playbook on it's way to RIM, I'm nervous!!! LOL!!!
    02-09-12 10:36 AM
    I had the same problem with the camera 8 days before my limited warranty expired. I called blackberry support followed their instructions for a factory reset then got a RMA. No hassle, no argument. Great service. Only downside is that this coincides with what the BB tech guy described as the greatest ever OS update! Can't wait for it's return.
    02-11-12 02:44 AM
    Turned in my RMA on Monday afternoon via FedEx Express. Got it back Thursday evening (wasn't home, went to pick it up at the facility). Checked my Playbook... looks like they replaced it. Serial number is different, raised buttons. Looks awesome. Had very good support, even better turn around time. Am very pleased. When I hoped for a pristine unit in time for the OS2, I didn't know I'd have a "pristine" unit. All's good. Just have to refrain from mashing that update button every morning until the next projected date. Yay!
    02-11-12 09:50 PM
    Turned in my RMA on Monday afternoon via FedEx Express. Got it back Thursday evening (wasn't home, went to pick it up at the facility). Checked my Playbook... looks like they replaced it. Serial number is different, raised buttons. Looks awesome. Had very good support, even better turn around time. Am very pleased. When I hoped for a pristine unit in time for the OS2, I didn't know I'd have a "pristine" unit. All's good. Just have to refrain from mashing that update button every morning until the next projected date. Yay!
    I just thought of something - I wonder if the glass/screen over update button will be blemished by repeated "pressings!" Maybe it should be like a screen blank and the update button moves around that particular screen. Maybe they could make it into a game - chase the update button like some of those whack-a-head games
    02-11-12 11:06 PM
    I'm hoping to have mine back sometime next week. They got it next day. So maybe I'll have my precious back bye Wednesday.
    02-12-12 01:04 PM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD