My PlayBook camera has all of a sudden stopped working. I boot up the app and I get all the operational icons but the screen is a blank striped white. I take a picture or video and nothing happens. I've even tried the back camera and screen shot programme to no avail. No camera.functions at all. Nothing's recently changed, I haven't downloaded an app in weeks and I've not had any updates to the OS for ages. I've not dropped it or subjected it to any shocks or abuse. It's about 15 months old. Any suggestions?
    01-14-13 01:25 PM
    Have you tried a reboot!
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    01-14-13 01:33 PM
    known issue. happened to me too. i still have my playbook i just need to send it to rim
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    01-14-13 02:16 PM
    My PlayBook camera has all of a sudden stopped working. I boot up the app and I get all the operational icons but the screen is a blank striped white. I take a picture or video and nothing happens. I've even tried the back camera and screen shot programme to no avail. No camera.functions at all. Nothing's recently changed, I haven't downloaded an app in weeks and I've not had any updates to the OS for ages. I've not dropped it or subjected it to any shocks or abuse. It's about 15 months old. Any suggestions?
    Lost cause, send it to RIM if they claim any negligence on your part, and you honestly didn't do anything wrong fight tooth and nail for a replacement device. I've been there and at the end of it all I ended up with a Brand New 32gb Playbook instead of my original 16gb. Overall, they're good about fixing it. Oh and be ready for the run of the mill, fix actions from tech support. You can combat that by saying you already reloaded the latest software numerous times.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    01-14-13 03:15 PM
    It's 15 months old now, would they accept it? Incidentally, I tired to post a picture of the screen from my phone but CrackBerry keeps rejecting it for some reason.
    01-14-13 03:28 PM
    Are there also grey stripes?
    01-14-13 03:44 PM
    It's 15 months old now, would they accept it? Incidentally, I tired to post a picture of the screen from my phone but CrackBerry keeps rejecting it for some reason.
    There are some cases where they'll still accept it. If you've never registered it with RIM, you'll be fine. When you call them the first time, if they say its already registered, just tell them you're the new owner. They don't inquire too much. Did I neglect to mention I bought mine used.
    01-14-13 03:49 PM
    Are there also grey stripes?
    White screen, Black screen, zebra screen, ITS ALL WRONG! LOL!
    01-14-13 03:51 PM
    You might try the following and then call rim

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Crowezine and RubberChicken76 like this.
    01-14-13 03:51 PM
    yeah i never sent mine out i bought it on ebay and the second i got it i registered it then bought the 2 year warranty they covered for spills drops and other stuff so i guess i can appeal to that
    01-14-13 04:54 PM
    just called. im having a box sent to me for repairs. very easy.
    01-14-13 06:01 PM
    Wow! Thanks for all the advice, guys and gals! Not too sure what to do, this might be my perfect excuse to grab a 64GB-er before they're gone. I'm also convinced we'll see a 2nd gen sometime early this year. Either way I'll see if I can convince RIM to sort this one out for me, outside of this issue it's been solid and has matured into an excellent work tool and toy.

Thanks again!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 06:56 AM
    Are you able to post a picture of the problem? Or a further description?
    01-15-13 07:36 AM
    Are you able to post a picture of the problem? Or a further description?
    I tried to post a picture here yesterday but it wasn't accepted either through my PC or via my phone. I'll give a better description and then try to post the picture again:

Once the camera mode is powered up and all the icons are visible the screen turns to white. It's not a straight white but striped in different hues of white/gray. It's almost like you're trying to take a picture of closed, vertical slat blinds. Hopefully you'll see from the picture if it posts.

PlayBook Camera Failure-img-20130114-00033.jpg
    01-15-13 10:13 AM
    It does look like pretty much the same as the problem posted in the thread Default camera app problems . Go to the Crackberry search feature above and search for it to see what was discussed there. That poster had sent his Playbook back.

What I'm wondering is I've been able to duplicate several of the other Playbook camera problems that people have had but so far have never seen the grey stripes. I don't know if this is your situation but I've noticed that at least some people with these errors also have bb phones which I would imagine are bridged. I don't have a phone bridge and am taking a complete guess that perhaps there is a connection to the Playbook's problem.

I realise most bridge connections don't have the problem but maybe there's an app or a set-up issue with cameras either on the Playbook, the phone, or between them.
    01-15-13 11:03 AM