Hi There,

The pictures taken using the rear camera of my Playbook doesn't look nice for a 5MP quality... I would say it has something to do with autofocus.. As a new PB user, is there any app available on App World that will improve the autofocus? Or it has something to do with the hardware itself?

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.
    06-22-12 11:39 PM
    Hi There,

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.
    Exactly. The better the light, the better the pic.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-23-12 12:30 AM
    The camera needs good lighting and takes pretty decent picture outdoors. If definitely suffers in lower light situation. I think Stabilization and/or zooming can also detract from the results.
    princebon11 likes this.
    06-23-12 12:34 AM
    AF is hardware-based and the PB camera is EDoF and no app can improve autofocus.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-23-12 at 12:53 AM.
    Hawnz and princebon11 like this.
    06-23-12 12:51 AM
    AF is hardware-based and the PB camera is EDoF and no app can improve autofocus.
    Thanks, your answer helps..., and informative!
    06-23-12 02:56 AM
    I don't think RIM engineers put much thought into the camera when they planned their "premium products". I love my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and have used it for quote some time.

I just cannot forget, nor forgive, the fact that my camera takes loudsy pictures, especially close-up photos. The camera is pointless when it cannot focus on an image.

I'm switching to the iPhone in a few weeks because I need to be able to take close-up photos of documents without having to hear that annoying shutter sound.
    08-13-12 06:14 PM
    I don't think RIM engineers put much thought into the camera when they planned their "premium products". I love my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and have used it for quote some time.

I just cannot forget, nor forgive, the fact that my camera takes loudsy pictures, especially close-up photos. The camera is pointless when it cannot focus on an image.

I'm switching to the iPhone in a few weeks because I need to be able to take close-up photos of documents without having to hear that annoying shutter sound.
    The 9810 takes great close-up pics because unlike the 9900/30, its camera has auto focus. Sounds like you bought the wrong BB if it's that important to you. The 9810 is just as powerful as the 9900.

Switching to an iPhone because of the shutter sound is a pretty crap reason to switch platforms.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-13-12 06:26 PM
    i had looked at the 9810, but i couldnt manage typing on the cramped, smaller keys. If they made the 9810 with the 9930's keyboard, then it'd be a real nice device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 06:44 PM

wait a few months and get a bb10 phone. We have already seen that photography will be more "in focus" with the new phones.
    08-13-12 07:03 PM
    i had looked at the 9810, but i couldnt manage typing on the cramped, smaller keys. If they made the 9810 with the 9930's keyboard, then it'd be a real nice device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Keyboard works fine for my "sausage fingers" lol. The 9810 is probably the best BB7 BlackBerry out.
    08-13-12 07:20 PM
    I'm not sure on review, but it appears no one mentioned that the pb does not have AUTO-focus. It is a fixed focus with some modes that provide better results.
    nextcity likes this.
    08-13-12 08:57 PM
    I'm not sure on review, but it appears no one mentioned that the pb does not have AUTO-focus. It is a fixed focus with some modes that provide better results.
    Correct. NO AUTO FOCUS on the PlayBook.
    08-13-12 09:17 PM

So you're switching platforms to get rid of the shutter sound instead of just downloading one of the apps that gets rid of the shutter sound. It does cost $1-5 depending on which app you get, but that's cheaper than $100-700 depending on which iPhone you get (and whether you get a contract with it). Sounds like there are deeper issues...
    08-14-12 07:19 AM
    i plan on switching because I need a better camera that can take quality close-up shot, and one that doesn't make the shutter sound. It's a combination of factors.
    08-14-12 07:39 AM
    Some external reading.. EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved

Everything has it's pros and cons..
    08-14-12 07:45 AM
    i plan on switching because I need a better camera that can take quality close-up shot, and one that doesn't make the shutter sound. It's a combination of factors.
    Why not shift to a Nokia if you are really interested in quality shots?
    08-14-12 07:46 AM
    so you want to take pictures without a shutter sound? All phones in North America are required to have a shutter sound, because of privacy laws but the iphone does away with it....

And again, that is why the Blackberry is the top brand for sensitive data and security.
    08-14-12 07:48 AM
    +1 QuIcKsIlV3r.. Also the fact that you cannot record a call for privacy issues..
    08-14-12 08:35 AM
    I'm stuck with Sprint. Nokia is not an option for the time being.

Why not shift to a Nokia if you are really interested in quality shots?
    08-14-12 08:44 AM
    I don't think it's "required", unless I'm wrong. I could take photos with my old Android phone without having to hear that shutter sound. I just had to turn the ring level down to vibrate. Then no shutter sound. I think it's an option that can be disabled at user's discretion.

so you want to take pictures without a shutter sound? All phones in North America are required to have a shutter sound, because of privacy laws but the iphone does away with it....

And again, that is why the Blackberry is the top brand for sensitive data and security.
    08-14-12 08:48 AM
    Well it's too bad the 9930 doesn't serve you well.. I get decent pics out of the 9810..

Attachment 115460

I think you can try taking pics from far and then zoom in..

Edit,, the pic upload just resized the image to lower res.. I obv have a higher res image..
    08-14-12 08:54 AM
    I take better photos with my Torch 9860 than some people do with their DSLRs. It's all in the composition, lighting and angle. The Torch is great for closeups, but even the focus free cameras on the Bolds take decent pictures with the close-up setting. Yes, it's a special setting, you need to go into the camera menu to select it.
    08-14-12 09:30 AM
    Wallpaper pic taken from 9800

08-14-12 11:28 AM
    I don't think it's "required", unless I'm wrong. I could take photos with my old Android phone without having to hear that shutter sound. I just had to turn the ring level down to vibrate. Then no shutter sound. I think it's an option that can be disabled at user's discretion.
    Actually here in North America, it is required, Google and Apple have side stepped this law, and allowed users to not use a shutter sound, but if you look at old dumb phones (like my Moto V360 and other camera phones) they all had shutter sounds because it IS law. RIM is continuing with this law for security reasons.

Not to say you're a pervert, but it's a privacy law to rid the voyeurs of the world trying to get up skirt pics discretely or take pics of people unknowingly
    08-14-12 11:29 AM
    Exactly. The better the light, the better the pic.
    Haha!
    08-14-12 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD