Hey guys,
    I want to download all my facebook contacts (friends) data (addresses, birthdays, work companies) etc. on my playbook (but withough integrating facebook with my PB). How do i do this? Is it possible? I just want to have them in my calendar so i have all their locations, birthdays etc. on hand for reference. I don't want to 'integrate facebook' with my playbook if possible (if you know what i mean, i.e.not receiving facebook messages and notifactions pushed to my playbook at random hours of the day). I just want it so i have all their contact information, job/company they work for on hand. Is it possible to integrate facebook and then stop receiving notifcations etc. from facebook? FYI i have deleted facebook of my PB when i'm trying to achieve this.
    Thanks
    10-01-12 01:19 AM
    I think you must integrate it. The only messages that you will receive in the Messages App will be chat messages, you shouldn't receive notifications of wall chats or event invites.

Doing a quick look, I don't see an option to stop the chat messages from going into your Messages app.
    10-01-12 01:24 AM
    I think you must integrate it. The only messages that you will receive in the Messages App will be chat messages, you shouldn't receive notifications of wall chats or event invites.

Doing a quick look, I don't see an option to stop the chat messages from going into your Messages app.
    Can anyone confirm this. Do i need facebook (the app) installed for this to work? thanks
    10-01-12 09:55 PM
    Or is there a way to set-up a gmail account, export all your friend's data (work company, birthday, number (if they have it), email etc.) to the google account and then import this into playbook? Would other data (besides birthdays) copy over?
    thanks
    10-01-12 09:57 PM
    Can anyone confirm this. Do i need facebook (the app) installed for this to work? thanks
    Confirmed. And the Facebook app has nothing to do with this. You can't delete though as it is a core app, but you don't need to use it either.

You can't directly import/export PIM data to the PlayBook.
    10-01-12 10:40 PM
    If you are going to set Gmail just to do this, you can instead just set up Yahoo (or set up yahoo and then send it to Gmail. Here are the instructions for Google and here is for Yahoo. It is essentially the same, with an added step.

Now, I believe this is only to export e-mail addresses and phone numbers (I just skimmed the directions). Another option is to link FaceBook to your Playbook and manually input all that detail per contact into the Gmail.com contacts on your laptop/desktop. It will take some time and work depending on the amount of contacts you have, but by doing this you can set up your Gmail account on the Playbook to only Sync Contacts and/or Calendar and not e-mail (if you don't use the e-mail or the contacts).

Also by doing this way, you are assured that you can import or export your contacts from Gmail and use it for any other program or app you want (Outlook, Yahoo, work e-mail if allowed, etc).

I think this is your best and only option.
    10-01-12 10:50 PM
    If you are going to set Gmail just to do this, you can instead just set up Yahoo (or set up yahoo and then send it to Gmail. Here are the instructions for Google and here is for Yahoo. It is essentially the same, with an added step.

Now, I believe this is only to export e-mail addresses and phone numbers (I just skimmed the directions). Another option is to link FaceBook to your Playbook and manually input all that detail per contact into the Gmail.com contacts on your laptop/desktop. It will take some time and work depending on the amount of contacts you have, but by doing this you can set up your Gmail account on the Playbook to only Sync Contacts and/or Calendar and not e-mail (if you don't use the e-mail or the contacts).

Also by doing this way, you are assured that you can import or export your contacts from Gmail and use it for any other program or app you want (Outlook, Yahoo, work e-mail if allowed, etc).

I think this is your best and only option.
    I don't quite understand. Do i need to perform 2 steps to import firstly emails and phone numbers onto my playbook. Then another step to import these contacts birthdays, company/ other info and somehow merge them all together at the end? So i don't have duplicate contacts? or will this be done automotically.

Thanks
    10-02-12 02:26 AM
    Duplicated contacts can be merged manually.

Best thing to do is: edit your contact list so facebook and gmail names match. Also needs to be done manually but once finished, it pays off.

Gmail contacts can store pretty much all info you need and the PlayBook will handle it very well (and remember there is Linkedin for that extra business boost).
    10-02-12 07:50 AM
    ok thanks. how do i match the two?
    thanks
    10-03-12 10:40 PM
    If i don't have any contacts in gmail yet?
    10-06-12 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD