I was about to take a pop quiz in my statics mechanical engineer class when i realized I didnt have my calculator. I had my playbook so I used that and even though its not a replacement for my calce it came in handy and if you swipe down there is sooo much more options than I first thought. I should have never downloaded any converters.
    12-09-11 03:25 PM
    I love the calc on the pb. It's one of the reasons the pb is great and why I bought it.

In the store, when I found the calc app...that was it, sold
    aminrajabi likes this.
    12-09-11 03:41 PM
    I think the Playbook calculator is one of the most underrated apps on the PB. I know its 'just a calculator' but its actually one of the features i show off to people when I let them use my PB. Most people are impressed how smooth the transitions are and how nice the UI is.

I love the banner on the side that lets you recall any calculated total from the past. The convertor is great too!

But i get it. Its just a calculator
    12-09-11 03:44 PM
    If you swipe down there is sooo much more options than I first thought. I should have never downloaded any converters.
    I had no idea it had a unit converter. It's functions better then the app I downloaded.
    Thank you.
    Fuzzballz and jafobabe like this.
    12-09-11 03:53 PM
    Its a fairly decent calculator.

I had a test a while back and didnt have my advanced TI calculator with me.. just my PB. I used it for a Solid State Electronics Test with no issue.
    12-09-11 05:01 PM
    I used it this semester for my Statistics class. It worked great. My PB also helped me when I forgot a formula while I was taking a test, so I did a quick Google search... I know, I know, that's cheating, but hey... it worked. :P
    12-09-11 05:15 PM
    Cool I never messed around too much with the calculator, so it would have taken me awhile to find that lol
    12-09-11 05:23 PM
    I used it this semester for my Statistics class. It worked great. My PB also helped me when I forgot a formula while I was taking a test, so I did a quick Google search... I know, I know, that's cheating, but hey... it worked. :P
    Well now that you mention this...
    I have to thank bridge.

I had a test, and we were doing it in a room where there is absolutely no wifi coverage and no one in my Class has a 3G tablet (or if they do , they have no DATA plan).. just WIFI only devices. No modems or such things were allowed but we were allowed to use our computers and tablets. (Teacher thought his plan was bullet proof... it was... almost ).

I left my BB inside my Backpack but close enough to have a strong bridge connection. Long story short... wikipedia saved me!
    12-09-11 05:27 PM
    By the way, there is a separate discussion of the % implementation on the pb. Apparently, it does not act as some folks expect.
    12-09-11 06:16 PM
    I have to thank bridge.

I had a test, and we were doing it in a room where there is absolutely no wifi coverage and no one in my Class has a 3G tablet (or if they do , they have no DATA plan).. just WIFI only devices. No modems or such things were allowed but we were allowed to use our computers and tablets. (Teacher thought his plan was bullet proof... it was... almost ).

I left my BB inside my Backpack but close enough to have a strong bridge connection. Long story short... wikipedia saved me!
    Nice! Sometimes we have to work with what we've got, and that's exactly what we did! *high-five*
    alekza likes this.
    12-09-11 06:22 PM
    I had no idea it had a unit converter. It's functions better then the app I downloaded.
    Thank you.
    Same here. Great!
    12-09-11 06:40 PM
    I have to thank bridge.

Where was all this stuff in my day? Argh...!
    D_Whatley, Mr.Monty and mem0ryburn like this.
    12-09-11 09:52 PM
    never knew about all these funcitons . awesome.

im surprised they let u use a pb for a calculator though =P
    12-09-11 10:44 PM
    Rather wish it had an RPN mode. I can't use a calculator with an equals sign on it. I have been an HP RPN calculator user for at least 35 years now!
    12-10-11 12:24 AM
    I never really played with the calc that comes withthe PB, I'm an RPN person too.
    I use the ones by iMarco and RPN Scientific.
    I'll have to try the 'native' one, but in my opinion an RPN calc is the only way to go for real engineers and scientists... Been an avid HP user since I converted back in 1981 right before my EE finals Sophomore year.
    12-10-11 06:22 AM
    reverse Polish notation... RPN.

There's a term I haven't heard in a long time. A means of doing mathematical computations in a convoluted way only an engineer could love. It reminds me of all the business students doing their accounting with t-accounts. Since I studied economics, I always thought both these methods were excessively complex for the task at hand which could just as easily be computed using the algebra rules we learned in grade school.

There I've said it. I hate RPN and am very glad it didn't make an appearance on the PB.

Let RPN go the way of the sliderule!!!
    12-10-11 09:59 AM
    reverse Polish notation... RPN.

There's a term I haven't heard in a long time. A means of doing mathematical computations in a convoluted way only an engineer could love. It reminds me of all the business students doing their accounting with t-accounts. Since I studied economics, I always thought both these methods were excessively complex for the task at hand which could just as easily be computed using the algebra rules we learned in grade school.

There I've said it. I hate RPN and am very glad it didn't make an appearance on the PB.

Let RPN go the way of the sliderule!!!
    Really, stack oriented operations are no more convoluted than the abstraction of translating arithmetic operations to a "4-banger" calculator with an "equals" key.

I would have figured PlayBook users as RPN types. And "equals" calculator types more iPad or Droid users!
    12-10-11 10:09 AM
    I would like a full statistics calculator on the PB so I don't have to buy a TI-84 for when I am at home. The calculators for the PB that I have seen do basic stats, but no z-tests, t-tests, ANOVA, etc.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-10-11 10:41 AM
    You guys are too advanced for me. I spent a whole semester my freshman year in engineering school learning to use a slide rule. For you youngsters who don't know what that is, just google it.
    12-10-11 10:51 AM
    If I recall I "learned" to use a sliderule about twice for physics final exams or something similar. I use the term "learned" loosely, since the knowledge never stuck and when I see a sliderule I can use it as successfully as an abacus.
    12-10-11 11:31 AM
    I was about to take a pop quiz in my statics mechanical engineer class when i realized I didnt have my calculator. I had my playbook so I used that and even though its not a replacement for my calce it came in handy and if you swipe down there is sooo much more options than I first thought. I should have never downloaded any converters.
    I've been using the calculator for weeks and only just discovered the other options yesterday. But I'm really loving the calculator now.

I especially like how it displays the entire equation so you can look back and see that you used all the correct numbers.
    12-10-11 12:18 PM
    holy crap did NOT know about the extra stuff on the calc. thanks to this thread!
    12-10-11 01:49 PM
    The unit conversions are awesome! I wish the calculator had base conversions (decimal, hex, binary) and binary operations (and, or, xor, not) though. I don't use them very often, but it would save me having to grab my old TI-36 out of the desk drawer.
    12-10-11 02:07 PM
    My calculator is gone how do I get it back?
    03-11-12 10:57 PM
    My calculator is gone how do I get it back?
    When I Press/Hold on the calculator, it does not contain a "trash icon" and therefore, I don't think you deleted it. Maybe it was moved into a folder with some other apps/icons or perhaps it wound up on a panel to the right of the main panel. Or make sure you scroll all of the icons on the ALL panel up/down.
    03-12-12 12:13 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD