Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a Playbook, because of its nice hardware and even better price. I'm just a little worried about the future of this device.
    I'm very excited about the BB10 update this summer (?), but I was wondering if there will be any decent app support afterwards.
    I've read that BB10 will come with most popular apps, but I couldn't find whether these phone apps will also be compatible for Playbook.
    On top of that, I've heard that an updated Playbook (to BB10) won't run most of current OS2.1 apps.

Basically, my question is: will there be app support for Playbook once it's running on BB10 and would purchasing a Playbook be worth the money in the long run?

Thank you for your answers
    01-15-13 10:50 AM
    I doubt many BB10 apps will be pushed out as "phone-specific", unless they depend on specific phone functionality.
    Dirtcrunch likes this.
    01-15-13 10:53 AM
    So that means almost any BB10 app will work on an updated Playbook?
    01-15-13 10:56 AM
    Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a Playbook, because of its nice hardware and even better price. I'm just a little worried about the future of this device.
    I'm very excited about the BB10 update this summer (?), but I was wondering if there will be any decent app support afterwards.
    I've read that BB10 will come with most popular apps, but I couldn't find whether these phone apps will also be compatible for Playbook.
    On top of that, I've heard that an updated Playbook (to BB10) won't run most of current OS2.1 apps.

Basically, my question is: will there be app support for Playbook once it's running on BB10 and would purchasing a Playbook be worth the money in the long run?

Thank you for your answers
    There's no concrete answer out there. At least not from the mouth of RIM. If that is your main concern, you should wait for the announcement before making the purchase. Of course by then you won't be the only one looking for those fire sale Playbook. Perhaps you know someone who owns a playbook that you can borrow. If you are satisfy as is and money is not an issue go for it. If you are even contemplating other tablets, I say visit your local retailers and test out all the available tablets in the market.
    robkd likes this.
    01-15-13 11:02 AM
    When you consider the quality of the hardware and direction the software is going, you can't beat the Playbook at its current price. BB10 means RIM can keep on supporting it instead of abandoning the Playbook. I currently own and have owned other competitive devices and I can honestly say, I use the Playbook as much, and at times, more then the others. And when I compare the price difference, I shake my head that it performs as well as the more expensive devices. Unreal.
    Dirtcrunch likes this.
    01-15-13 11:52 AM
    my opinion, you can't go wrong buying a playbook,,, my guess, devs will consider that apps may also be going to playbook & account for that,,, i've had mine for a couple months & it grows on me more every day...
    01-15-13 03:36 PM
    There's no concrete answer out there. At least not from the mouth of RIM. If that is your main concern, you should wait for the announcement before making the purchase. Of course by then you won't be the only one looking for those fire sale Playbook. Perhaps you know someone who owns a playbook that you can borrow. If you are satisfy as is and money is not an issue go for it. If you are even contemplating other tablets, I say visit your local retailers and test out all the available tablets in the market.
    That's probably overly-pessimistic. The strong likelihood is that pretty much any current PlayBook app and almost all BB10 apps should work just fine on a BB10 PlayBook.
    01-15-13 03:51 PM
    I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong by using the browser 80% of the time. Am I missing something, granted there are apps that are needed for certain "special" functions, but overall are all these different apps required when you can use the browser and/or bookmark?
    01-15-13 03:53 PM
    Hello,

i've just bought an Playbook today and all i can say:
    It fits all my needs. Everything i need was already installed.
    - Browser
    - YouTube App
    - Acrobat Reader (which also works with my large PDF files for my certification!)
    - Facebook
    - Email client for exchange connection

The only thing i really miss is an facebook messenger which uses push notifications on new messages. For now i have to go to the bb message app and refresh the Facebook inbox. It's a little bit disappointing - but hey - can't have everything .
    In the next days i'll get a little bit deeper into the "sideload" topic - maybe the facebook messenger app for android works as i would like to

I know Apple and Android have an very huge appstore - but for me - 99% percent of the apps are just "games" or unneeded gimmicks - and i say that as an iPhone user.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-15-13 04:04 PM
    RIM sent an email out to all devs that built for PlayBook telling them that the app is already BlackBerry10 compatible and they need not lift a finger. All apps built for 2.1 will be available for BlackBerry10 and PlayBook when it gets BlackBerry10. OP you can get a 64 gig device that's gonna run BlackBerry10 for under 200$ ....what's there to think about? ?? This price is a steal if the PlayBook never got BlackBerry10.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-15-13 04:16 PM
    If you are going to buy a Playbook, you may want to do it sooner rather than later. I recently checked all the electronics stores I could think of (Best Buy, Future Shop, The Source, Staples, Visions), and none of them had one in stock. The last Wi-Fi model was manufactured over a year ago, as someone on another thread said. I believe this to be credible. I ended up purchasing one on eBay earlier this week for $169.99. If you wait too long you may have to be open to buying a used model.
    01-15-13 04:17 PM
    The only thing i really miss is an facebook messenger which uses push notifications on new messages. For now i have to go to the bb message app and refresh the Facebook inbox. It's a little bit disappointing - but hey - can't have everything .
    In the next days i'll get a little bit deeper into the "sideload" topic - maybe the facebook messenger app for android works as i would like to
    Really? I had thought that the PB inbox could handle Facebook messages just like any others. Oh well I guess it's still pretty convenient.
    01-15-13 04:24 PM
    I love these type of threads. Convince me to buy a product. LOL

I just can't understand why the opinion of strangers should have any influence on what you do with your money or why one would seek out such opinions. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't.

Makes me wonder how these people function when they have to make life altering decisions........Oprah and Dr. Phil?
    01-15-13 04:32 PM
    Really? I had thought that the PB inbox could handle Facebook messages just like any others. Oh well I guess it's still pretty convenient.
    Yea i also thought that but so far it does not work. I have to manually refresh the facebook inbox in the BlackBerry message app / message Center.
    Maybe i have to restart the Playbook.
    Also when the facebook app remains open (or i dont't close it, runs in the background)

Edit: restarting changed nothing
    Last edited by dwosch; 01-15-13 at 05:13 PM.
    01-15-13 04:37 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get PDF READER NOT ADOBE READER from App World. It is the best $0.99 you can spend if you read PDF's on the PlayBook. Trust me, I've been through this and pissed away a lot of $$ trying various PDF readers. PDF Reader is the best by far. The app author is very friendly and actually responded to my feature request and actually built it into his next release...seriously, just do it.

Hello,

i've just bought an Playbook today and all i can say:
    It fits all my needs. Everything i need was already installed.
    - Browser
    - YouTube App
    - Acrobat Reader (which also works with my large PDF files for my certification!)
    - Facebook
    - Email client for exchange connection

I know Apple and Android have an very huge appstore - but for me - 99% percent of the apps are just "games" or unneeded gimmicks - and i say that as an iPhone user.
    FF22, Vorkosigan and dwosch like this.
    01-15-13 05:49 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get PDF READER NOT ADOBE READER from App World. It is the best $0.99 you can spend if you read PDF's on the PlayBook. Trust me, I've been through this and pissed away a lot of $$ trying various PDF readers. PDF Reader is the best by far. The app author is very friendly and actually responded to my feature request and actually built it into his next release...seriously, just do it.
    I'll second this if you're planning to do much with PDF's (which it sounds like you are). I was scrolling to the bottom of this thread to make the same suggestion.
    chaosdivine and dwosch like this.
    01-15-13 06:08 PM
    I keep hearing about apps, apps, apps and it makes me think I'm doing something wrong by using the browser 80% of the time. Am I missing something, granted there are apps that are needed for certain "special" functions, but overall are all these different apps required when you can use the browser and/or bookmark?
    Well, I'm still inclined to believe that The Browser does not necessarily replace apps.

For instance, what app do you know that takes the place of Battery Guru? How about a web app that can play any video format like Kalemsoft can do? We are lucky that these developers saw fit to design for the pb. Obviously the are a bunch of other apps that are not replaced by browsing the web?
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-15-13 08:18 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm very excited about the BB10 update this summer (?)
    I am in the same situation as you but the only thing stopping me is I don't know if RIM will be announcing new tablets on BB10 launch (30 Jan)?
    01-15-13 09:18 PM
    Again if money and time is not the issue , wait for the new tablet. I'll be surprise if there is a new tablet launch within 6 months of the BB10 launch.
    01-15-13 10:46 PM
    I'll second this if you're planning to do much with PDF's (which it sounds like you are). I was scrolling to the bottom of this thread to make the same suggestion.
    Thanks for the reply.

What i am planning is to read some PDFs for certifications and study on the Playbook because i was 'pissed' lying in bed or on the couch with my heavy T61 Laptop to read PDF files. $0.99 is a good price and i'll give the app a try - so far i was happy with the Adobe Reader (only used it ~5 minutes just for testing if my PDF files even works)
    01-16-13 03:39 AM
    I love these type of threads. Convince me to buy a product. LOL

I just can't understand why the opinion of strangers should have any influence on what you do with your money or why one would seek out such opinions. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't.

Makes me wonder how these people function when they have to make life altering decisions........Oprah and Dr. Phil?
    Glad you asked.
    I'm asking you guys because I lack the knowledge of app support, which is kind of a deal breaker/maker for me. I'm not a die-hard app lover - otherwise I would have bought an Android tablet already - but it's important to me that there will be some app support (Facebook, e-readers etcetera) in the future. You all seemed to know more of that than I did, and now I'm informed well enough to make my decision ON MY OWN
    Banco likes this.
    01-16-13 03:57 AM
    Ordered a 64gb Playbook for 171 euros today!

My first Blackberry product after saying goodbye to my Bold 9700 more than a year ago. Really curious, especially because I forgot to test some of the features in store, but I think the file management for e-reader apps shouldn't be a problem. Hope you all will be there if I need help in the future.
    01-18-13 04:01 PM
    That's probably overly-pessimistic. The strong likelihood is that pretty much any current PlayBook app and almost all BB10 apps should work just fine on a BB10 PlayBook.
    That's probably one of the bigger drivers behind making the phones the same 1024x600 resolution as the PlayBook's -- to minimize fragmentation not only among the phones, but also among phones and tabs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-18-13 04:07 PM
    It's all those diddly-squat little business- or purpose-specific apps that people are squawking about. My wife is about to throw a piece of furniture at me if she hears me cuss one more time at a TV commercial spouting an app 'for Apple or Android' (in response to which I usually start ranting, 'Apple or Android, Apple or Android, Apple or Android -- F*** YOU!'). Example, my bank, the 21st biggest in the country, has an app for Apple and Android, but not for BB; and their web site is just a little too busy to be practical browsing on the phone, so an app for BB really would be handy. And then a friend of mine has an iPhone app that let's him remotely turn his home theater lights on and off from wherever he is -- even across the country. I don't know anyone else who has it or wants it (but then I think half the crap he has, he has just to say he has it and you don't -- but that's another story). There's two things that make me just cringe in tv commercials: apps 'for your Apple or Android', and car commercials that tout MPGs (just say MILES PER GALLON, you lazy putz); I don't know why, they just frost my cookies. And that idi0t for eSurance.com and those moronic DirecTV ads make me want to smash something. And let's not forget that godforsaken 'TBS -- very funny' every 5 minutes. But I digest....

A lot of those hundreds of thousands of apps are those that not everybody wants; but there's a ton of them that, even though it's just a small percent of the population that want them, there are so friggin many Apple and Android devices out there that a small percentage is still a lot. We need BB10 to gain that kind of popularity, if for no other reason than I'll be less likely to blow a gasket if I hear 'download the app now for your Apple, Android or BB10 device'. Of course, I can still dream of the day that I might totally vapor-lock when I hear just 'for your BB10 device'. Hey, after Misek's stunt today, anything can happen.
    01-18-13 04:29 PM
    I've had mine for 2 months now, and after some time getting used to it and prefering my netbook I'm finding the more I get used to it the better it gets, the solidity and wonderful speakers, and turning off java except on ebay, and being able to do what I want faster, have made me more and more happy with it and now use it as much as my netbook.

The fact that I can make Web pages sit on my home screen like Apps works for me, as the tablet size works with full Web pages better than Apps for things like ebay and yahoo mail. I'm still getting used to navigating documemts, using Dropbox and such like.

The real punch line is the upgrade to os10. I'm really looking forward to it, like getting a new more modern tablet. I'm sure they'll have fixed all the slightly dated stuff, like bookmark organising, and everything will speed up immensely
    01-18-13 04:46 PM
30 12