It appears the "other" pad P.R. artists have resurrected an old thread complaining about business uses of the playbook with an old operating system. SO many things have been fixed since then with the new OS. The thread is outdated. Please repeat your more recent business gripes/ issues/ praises whatever here and let the outdated thread die.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-14-11 at 03:23 PM.
    06-14-11 03:21 PM
    The biggest surprise about my PB is how terrible docstogo functions and how great BB bridge is. I figured the PB would have fixed the copy and past insufficiencies that exist on my phone.

Thank goodness the browser is so great and the OS is so solid. I justified the purchase saying I would use it for work but to date it has been exclusively used for fun and watching TV.
    06-14-11 10:44 PM
    Can playbook print yet?
    06-14-11 10:46 PM
    My favorite feature is being at a meeting with my ringer turned off on my phone "working" on my Playbook (you know, taking notes and stuff ) and the bridge tells me who is calling on the playbook without having to check my phone - now THAT's a business feature.
    LLAmos likes this.
    06-14-11 11:13 PM
    The biggest surprise about my PB is how terrible docstogo functions and how great BB bridge is. I figured the PB would have fixed the copy and past insufficiencies that exist on my phone.
    Do you not know how to copy paste on Playbook? What is the issue?
    06-14-11 11:15 PM
    Can playbook print yet?
    There is an app called printtool I think that prints plain text on network printer - haven't tried it.
    You could also do screen captures by pressing both volume buttons simultaneously, then save the file for printing later (email it somewhere) ...not ideal but I'm sure this ability will be coming.

also a thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=622597
    06-14-11 11:19 PM
    The issue is two fold.

1. selecting text feels very glitchy. the selection arrows do not respond well to larger texts when you have to scroll down the page. unlike the torch where i can use the trackpad while holding down the alt key.

2. the ability to select multiple cells in an xcel sheet and paste them to an email just plain doesnt exist.

the way it exist right now docstogo functions significantly better on my torch than on my PB. Just saying.
    06-22-11 10:33 PM
    Can playbook print yet?
    Yes ... print through Gmail by cloud printing to a printer attached to a Pc that has Google Chrome installed. It does print!
    For method...this was recently discussed on the forum

There are no collection of drivers installed on PB or other tablets which can directly goto a printer. Therefore, the driver is on the PC
    06-22-11 10:54 PM
    The issue is two fold.

1. selecting text feels very glitchy. the selection arrows do not respond well to larger texts when you have to scroll down the page. unlike the torch where i can use the trackpad while holding down the alt key.

2. the ability to select multiple cells in an xcel sheet and paste them to an email just plain doesnt exist.

the way it exist right now docstogo functions significantly better on my torch than on my PB. Just saying.
    Granted, the excel is bad.

However, I find the selection arrows to be really well done even when selecting pages of text. Maybe you're just using it wrong?
    06-23-11 12:06 AM
    Yes ... print through Gmail by cloud printing to a printer attached to a Pc that has Google Chrome installed. It does print!
    For method...this was recently discussed on the forum

There are no collection of drivers installed on PB or other tablets which can directly goto a printer. Therefore, the driver is on the PC
    While I can understand that printer manufacturers are unlikely to release all their drivers for the PlayBook, RIM desktop should have a feature that you lets you print from the PB to a printer attached to the computer or network.

PB would sent print job to RIM desktop, RIM desktop would render the print job and pass it on to the printer.

Much better than uploading it via Gmail to some silly cloud printer that only works with a PC with Chrome on it.
    mcetlinski likes this.
    06-23-11 12:26 AM
    Granted, the excel is bad.

However, I find the selection arrows to be really well done even when selecting pages of text. Maybe you're just using it wrong?
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but in email, you cannot cut unless you are "inside" a message being created, replied to, or forwarded. In other words, you can't cut text from a message in your inbox, then create a new message and paste in the text. Actually, you can't open ANYTHING and paste the text - say you were creative and selected reply to a message, then within that message you selected and copied some text (say, a URL address), then you opened the browser and tried to paste the URL - nothing. Can't be done. The implementation of cut and paste on the PB is the most horrible implementation I have ever seen. I know, I know...calm down...take deep breaths...it's coming...
    06-23-11 08:38 AM
    Here's my take from a business perspective:

1. The brilliance of the Blackberry platform is the deep, multi-layered, context-optimized menus, functions and customization. I've tried every device I can get my hands on, and as cool as they may be, from a business use perspective of getting the job with email done exactly to my needs, you simply can't even come close to the Blackberry (I'd take an old 62XX or 72XX Blackberry over an iPhone in a second, as far as email is concerned). Now the kicker - the Playbook has NONE of these features. None of the Bridge applications has ANY options, no customization, completely stripped down functionality. This is a total farce - the one thing that sets Blackberry apart, and they whiffed on it completely. Calm. Deep breaths. It's coming.

2. As a result of (1) above, you require other functionality to be able to use the device for email. Since you can't customize the text size, you need to pinch and zoom to be able to read small text sizes in emails. Ooops. Can't be done. No pinch and zoom in email. Crap!

3. Cut and Paste - as I've mentioned in my prior post, is implemented extremely poorly. Can't cut and paste between applications. Can't cut from a message in the inbox.

4. Supported attachment types: extremely limited - can't open image files. Can't open sound files. Can't open video files.

5. Bridge is a terrific idea - but it is slow, and cumbersome. Working through the morning emails is painful - it takes time to open the message, the delete function is slow, the next message takes a long time to open. You often need to enter he function two or three times for it to "take" - example, click delete, the button is highlighted. Nothing happens. Hit it again and hold it a bit longer - it brings up the confirmation dialog. And so on.

6. Opening attachments via bridge is SLOW. Crazy slow. I tried to open a 1MB PDF file. I was in a strong 3G signal area. It took over 5 minutes! I was so frustrated I dug out my old iPad first gen, turned it on, opened the message via exchange, opened the 1MB attachment in 20 seconds (over 3G on the same AT&T network), and was done reviewing it before the PB has downloaded the file. It renders like crap on the iPad, so I really wanted to read it on the PB - but alas, I ran out of time.

7. No Apps for my particular needs - this is more a personal issue, but I suspect many business users share my needs. No RDP App to be able to remote desktop into my office computer. This little feature allowed me to leave my laptop in the office, and travel with the iPad. I REALLY want to be able to do this on the PB - it would be HUGE. But it doesn't exist. Also, I review lots of documents in all sorts of formats all the time. I have 4 or 5 terrific annotation and markup Apps I use on the iPad all the time. I can make do with almost any version, as long as I can do some basic markups on the device - nothing for the PB that I can find.

8. There are other items that are annoying, and that are frustrating to have to wait for, such as the inability to rotate images in the picture viewer application, the inability to control the hardware volume on the screen when watching a flash video, and other miscellaneous nits - but these are more about the general user experience and less about business use.

Bottom line - I love the hardware. I see tremendous potential. I am also scared sick that Blackberry is going to loose the core of their excellence - the functionality of the OS - as they migrate to QNX. If that were to happen, I actually think they might go out of business. God, I hope I'm wrong about that.
    Last edited by kirson; 06-23-11 at 09:06 AM.
    mcetlinski, LLAmos and sad_old_man like this.
    06-23-11 09:03 AM
    I'd like to add that; yes it's great to have sandboxed corporate messaging, but 9 times out of 10 I am working away in the "other" side of the device when I feel the need to copy and paste. So I copy from the public side and attempt to paste to say a new mail message, and .. hmm. It's a no go.

Beyond that I still do not have an RDP client that I can use to connect to any of my servers for either published applications or management of the servers. I am tired of hearing that there is a vnc client. Get with the times, vnc is a waste unless you're the primary user of a machine and you own it. It does not serve a purpose in a corporate environment.

I could go on, but at the moment these are probably the two biggest issues I have and two big reasons why I still have not approved the device for use in my company.
    kirson likes this.
    06-23-11 09:11 AM
    I read many article about playbook for business, but this one is really creative and give a brilliant advice to all the android application development company
    03-04-13 05:45 AM
    Just wondering how this business device is working out two years on? I still own two PlayBooks and I was wondering if anything has changed for the business users, more useful now or have you moved on to another device? If so what device are you using now? My PlayBooks are gathering dust, maybe some of you can enlighten me on the current state of usefulness regarding business apps etc? Thanks
    04-16-13 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD