I use the PB for business primarily to read/review/approve related Word, PPT and Excel docs - the files are either local on the PB or still as email attachments accessed thru the bridge functionality to the BB phone. The instant on, portabilty and discrete size for use in meetings is invaluable.

Don't do much new document creation on the PB (currently cannot create new PPTs in Docs to Go). May get the BB BT keyboard when it comes out to enable more extensive document creation/revision. Other BT keyboards are currently available.

I connect to a client projector via HDMI/VGA cable to present at client meetings. A lot is my work is consulting to DoD clients and sometimes I am restricted from accessing their wireless network and/or a guest account sign in does not work because of certificate issues. At that point I fall back to bridged or tethered connections if needed. I use aVNC to connect remotely to run and display MS Project from a desktop back home and also connect via web browser to separate home server for files needed that I'm not carrying on the PB.

Of course bridged email and calendar access as well.

I've traveled exclusively with the PB on my last three client trips. Over that period, thru 6 different airports, did not take the PB out separately at the security check point and was not ask to either.
    Please excuse the lack of technical knowledge, but is aVNC similar to VPN? If I could access files from the corporate server with the PB, it would be great.
    06-13-11 09:07 PM
    Please excuse the lack of technical knowledge, but is aVNC similar to VPN? If I could access files from the corporate server with the PB, it would be great.
    aVNC is a client that gives you the opportunity to connect to a remote computer that is running a VNC server, so you can use the computer remotely as if you were sitting in front of the screen.

PB can connect to VPN. You set VPN profiles in the security options.
    06-14-11 08:32 AM
    I couldnt have bought a PB unless I was making money with it. It pays me to have a PB. Most of you complaints are just symptoms of inexperience. The keyboard gets in the way of your typing? You cant place the curser? You havent learned the basics, you are likely to have similar problems with any tablet until you figure out the basic stuff.
    That being said, I would really love for Docs To Go to be fully functional, but it isnt. Still I can work around it for now.
    06-14-11 08:47 AM
    A possible aside, what are you using for PowerPoint and Excel? Documents to Go?

I am looking at the PB as a possible solution for some of my people and these programs are important for them.

Thanks.
    Yes Documents to Go

It is FAR from ideal, but it gets the job done
    06-14-11 09:27 AM
    aVNC is a client that gives you the opportunity to connect to a remote computer that is running a VNC server, so you can use the computer remotely as if you were sitting in front of the screen.

PB can connect to VPN. You set VPN profiles in the security options.
    That is great news! It means the PB may be an option for us.
    06-14-11 12:22 PM
    Yes Documents to Go

It is FAR from ideal, but it gets the job done
    Has there been any talk of a better office suite or perhaps even a Microsoft solution?

deRusset,

If you can share, how exactly do you use your PlayBook? I am a branch manager for a commercial landscaping company and I currently use a laptop for all of my informational needs. We, as a company, use BES in an area that encompasses 5 states in the SW.

I talk, visit and present to clients, professional organizations and municipalities and run the business aspects of my branch. Besides portability what does a PlayBook do?

Our IT department has been testing tablets and we have been batting them around as a solution for some of our people, but so far have not been able to classify them as a better solution than netbooks. There has not been a PlayBook available for testing yet.

I would appreciate your input as to how you use it.

Thanks,
    Last edited by 96Ag; 06-14-11 at 12:33 PM.
    06-14-11 12:28 PM
    I haven't used it, but I read a review that said this site worked well on the PB:

Share Documents and Files Online | Microsoft Office Live

I'm just waiting for the Citrix app to come out so I can get remote access. Supposed to be by the end of the month.
    06-14-11 12:34 PM
    Has there been any talk of a better office suite or perhaps even a Microsoft solution?

deRusset,

If you can share, how exactly do you use your PlayBook? I am a branch manager for a commercial landscaping company and I currently use a laptop for all of my informational needs. We, as a company, use BES in an area that encompasses 5 states in the SW.

I talk, visit and present to clients, professional organizations and municipalities and run the business aspects of my branch. Besides portability what does a PlayBook do?

Our IT department has been testing tablets and we have been batting them around as a solution for some of our people, but so far have not been able to classify them as a better solution than netbooks. There has not been a PlayBook available for testing yet.

I would appreciate your input as to how you use it.

Thanks,

I am a Manufacturers account executive, basically I travel to meet the people you buy from (literally ), as well as travel to work with police forces, and travel to see end users.

my Playbook thus far has been used for
    - Priceing file management ( 9 Excel spread sheets, approximately 8000 cells used in each)
    - Client warehouse inventory lists,
    - Demo Video's of products
    - 2 basic power point presentations,
    - Review of documents in PDF format while on a plane
    - Product questionnaires in Word to GO, ( saved on printing while visiting sites)
    - Study notes when reading new documentation sent to me hard copy
    - Product photo's approximately 40 ( when ever I get more it seems to have issues?)
    - Dealer order form entry, ( customer calls me, says I need 30 x and 20 Y and 5 Z, I open my Sheets2go and my Word2Go, and bounce back and forward between the Excel price list, and the Word Order Form, and fill it out before emailing it to the office.

As far as I know there is No plans for a Microsoft office suite to be made for the Playbook, or Blackberry, I WISH there was, I am unable to suggest to my company that I feel the Playbook is the best tablet solution, I am actually leaning toward saying they need to get us Acer Iconia 10" Tablet With Keyboard Dock Stations as they run Windows 7, and would be much better than our current laptops.

I love my playbook, it is a great size, but it is certainly lacking in an offline office suite
    96Ag likes this.
    06-14-11 01:17 PM
    I am a Manufacturers account executive, basically I travel to meet the people you buy from (literally ), as well as travel to work with police forces, and travel to see end users.

Snip

I love my playbook, it is a great size, but it is certainly lacking in an offline office suite
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your input.
    06-14-11 02:11 PM

This post is made after updating to OS Version 1.0.1.1710
    Has anyone noticed this is a thread originated in APRIL with an OLD operating system ?? - many if not most of these issues have been fixed - I think the Apple PR attack army has been in here resurrecting old threads....Please don't post here new thread started - "Playbook for BUSINESS - NEW THREAD post new comments here"
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-14-11 at 04:21 PM.
    06-14-11 03:16 PM
    I use the playbook to read and work with pdfs for my job, although the actual reader is fine for glimpsing at short docs, the pb needs basic functionality such as pdf annotation, highlighting, signing docs search, or bookmarking. Rim usually excels at core functionality, hopefully they will correct this (or a third party will).
    06-14-11 03:28 PM
    This PlayBook for Business thread is actually pretty funny/sad when you read it two years later. I wonder how many of the original posters or readers of this thread are still using their PlayBooks for business? How many have moved on to other devices? If so what device are you using now?
    04-16-13 09:29 AM
    Im still using the pb for the business and it works great . Calander sync with google for the pb and my phone . Having all my emails come right to my pb. I dont do alot of video chat . But i dont know anyone local with one . The olny program that i would like to have is a good floor plan drafter . As general contractor i would like to be able to put some mesurments in and get a room plan and have that be printable ,
    04-17-13 07:50 AM
    I'm using BluePrint Drafts (free download from BB World) for rough blueprints. It doesn't do measurements and you can't move objects once they're drawn, so it's quite limited.

There are plenty of floor plan apps on Android though. You could grab the APK file, convert it to BAR format and sideload it.
    04-17-13 08:25 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD