Twig Error: Failed to write cache file "sites/crackberry.com/files/twig_cache/9b/9b093e6c755381eaf5b3a2a9d53a115325b340cb51b7a9ad830fdea13f06c9e8.php". (Line 80 in /web/drupal7-20211006151652/vendor/twig/twig/src/Cache/FilesystemCache.php)
    It's been a while since I returned my Playbook and I know there have been some improvements to the software and apps for the Playbook. I dont need the device for anything besides business, it's not a toy. I appreciate the security aspect of the Playbook, I only need it to do a few things very well, I don't need it to do everything.

Tablet requirements in no particular order:
    .xls - read & edit files that exist only on BB phone SD card
    PDF - read files that exist only on BB phone SD card
    Text - edit with relative ease incuding cursor placement and magnification
    File manager - easy access to all files on Micro SD in BB phone
    GPS - turn by turn with voice and access to contacts in BB phone
    Bridge email the same as my BB phone
    Bridge calendar the same as my BB phone
    Photo viewer that can access images on my BB phone
    TrueCrypt - typical program functionality
    If these requirements can be met I would gladly buy a Playbook again, I returned my first one. I use my devices for business. I think these are some of the typical reqirements for a business device.
    If someone in or near Calgary could set-up my Playbook to make these things possible I would be happy to pay consulting fees.
    10-03-11 08:32 AM
    We (all business owners who purchased a pb) have our fingers crossed that v2.0 of the software enables us to do these kinds of things... And hopefully with ease...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 08:51 AM
    With the exception of turn-by-turn nav, text file editing and truecrypt (no idea what that is) all of the requirements are met out of the box, no additional app required. Apps for file management and text editing are also available to add additional functionality, though I am not sure if they yet support file deletion via bridge.
    laterBB likes this.
    10-03-11 09:07 AM
    With the exception of turn-by-turn nav, text file editing and truecrypt (no idea what that is) all of the requirements are met out of the box, no additional app required. Apps for file management and text editing are also available to add additional functionality, though I am not sure if they yet support file deletion via bridge.
    Thanks RWD.
    Turn-by-turn will show up eventually, I hope, somehow.
    .txt file editing not an issue. I was thinking of email via Bridge, the first time I tried to do this on a PB it was pretty frustrating due to the lack of a cursor or magnification. Maybe this has been fixed...
    TrueCrypt is a file encryption program, works great.
    I think that the lack of file deletion via bridge is preferable, maybe that's just me.

I will look for the apps you've mentioned that would enhance the functionality of the device.

If I can get this device to do these things I will have to change my username, I do like my BB and would miss it.
    Last edited by laterBB; 10-03-11 at 09:49 AM.
    10-03-11 09:41 AM
    Ok I misunderstood as far as txt With the last os update the bridge email app got a minor update. it now supports the cursor for text selection (hold a finger on the spot and you get the cursor select tool) but zoom is still missing.
    10-03-11 09:58 AM
    yes the problem with most people who complain about blackberries are people who do not know how to properly use them and its features... all these things were available on the first version. minus turn by turn navigation... u should buy one now while its on sale
    10-03-11 10:27 AM
    yes the problem with most people who complain about blackberries are people who do not know how to properly use them and its features... all these things were available on the first version. minus turn by turn navigation... u should buy one now while its on sale
    When I bought my 1st PB I guess I just wasn't able to find the time to explore the device, I'm busy running a business and living my life. I thnk technology should be a little more intuitive, all technology. Not everyone's a geek...

I don't think I was complaining, I thought I was being pretty positive. I'm asking questions of people that are more knowledgeable, that's all. I think fans of anything often mistake a lack of intimate knowledge of their favorite subject as criticism.
    10-03-11 11:08 AM
    The excel thing has always been my major gripe with the Playbook.I really hope they stay on this and get it right. I dont give a flying rats glutus about keeping up with or comparing to android or ios. The playbook is the one for me if it only had the sheets to go functioning well. Other improvements are welcome of course and only makes a great device greater. I still say, lets get what we already have in working order first.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-03-11 11:20 AM
    wait till 2.0 many people have the same complaint about how the playbook has yet to be made ready for business. i love my pb but im just a regular user. browsing the web and watching tv with flash is all i need
    10-03-11 11:35 AM
    The excel thing has always been my major gripe with the Playbook.I really hope they stay on this and get it right. I dont give a flying rats glutus about keeping up with or comparing to android or ios. The playbook is the one for me if it only had the sheets to go functioning well. Other improvements are welcome of course and only makes a great device greater. I still say, lets get what we already have in working order first.
    What problems are you having with Sheet to Go? I'm able to open and edit .xls as well as .doc files that live on the SD card on my 9930 from my PlayBook without an issue with the latest bridge release.
    10-03-11 11:47 AM
    Documents to go is very... very basic... lets no hide the sun with the hands...
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-03-11 03:20 PM
    Sheets-do-go. Let me know how I can copy/paste a cell or block of cells? That seems like a pretty basic editing action but maybe it is considered advanced.

Business? But I canNOT search in a word or pdf file?
    10-03-11 04:04 PM
    We recently deployed iPads, the Cisco Anyconnect client is exceptional, we use an app called Goodreader to manage, annotate and retrieve documents, and an os x server for remote management. Plus, the iPad can handle several of our production line web applications. Sadly, the Playbook is not even close to this in terms of business. And did I mention the Citrix app! LOL
    10-03-11 05:34 PM
    Bought 2 - PB 16GB and a Torch 9860 today. So far I'm impressed with the improvements since Apr 20th when I bought my 1st PB.

Can anyone recommend:
    - a way to view the images on my phone via bridge? Currently I can view them one at a time but there is no preview? Showing a client pictures that exist only on the phone SD card is awkward this way.
    - is it not possible to view text messages on the PB?

I'm happy with the PDF reader, does what I need.
    Spreadsheets - simple editing is possible, good enough for now
    Device is snappy and I'm sure I will learn to use many of it's valuable features as time goes by.
    10-03-11 05:39 PM
    Can anyone recommend:
    - a way to view the images on my phone via bridge? Currently I can view them one at a time but there is no preview? Showing a client pictures that exist only on the phone SD card is awkward this way.
    LaterBB, This is possible, but there are issues - at least for now, and maybe forever. One file manager that I have allows browsing your BlackBerry handset SD card image files, complete with thumbnail view. The ap is "File Browser". However the propagation of thumbnails is painfully slow. May be a Bluetooth speed limitation in general, or the Bridge implementation in particular. Other file browsers don't bother with trying to display thumbnails for that very reason. I guess the only hope would be if the new NDK can offer some performance enhancements in that area somehow. I'm not a developer, and have no idea.
    bbfan1040 and claffeeba like this.
    10-03-11 06:03 PM
    What problems are you having with Sheet to Go? I'm able to open and edit .xls as well as .doc files that live on the SD card on my 9930 from my PlayBook without an issue with the latest bridge release.
    Wow, if you can tell me how to open and edit xls files that have drop down menus that would be great. The file works fine in Excel but not on the Playbook. There are lots of menus so memorizing them isnt an option. They must be edited, saved and sent with my other reports. Its a sticker because I have to wait till I get back to the office for one sheet when I should be able to get it all off my plate out in the field.
    10-04-11 10:41 AM
    LaterBB, This is possible, but there are issues - at least for now, and maybe forever. One file manager that I have allows browsing your BlackBerry handset SD card image files, complete with thumbnail view. The ap is "File Browser". However the propagation of thumbnails is painfully slow. May be a Bluetooth speed limitation in general, or the Bridge implementation in particular. Other file browsers don't bother with trying to display thumbnails for that very reason. I guess the only hope would be if the new NDK can offer some performance enhancements in that area somehow. I'm not a developer, and have no idea.
    Thanks. Files and Folders works very well for everything that i need to do on my PB.
    01-11-12 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD