I have read about this Bulge and I am paranoid about it happening to mine. Does anyone have a photo to show what the bulge is? Is it big enough to visually notice at a distance?? I feel the PB get warm but when i run my hand across the back I feel like their might be a bulge but instead its just the raised from where the logo is embossed. I then put the playbook at eye level to see if I can see any kind of bulge. My wife says I am crazy.

I just want to know what to look for. So if your PB has it or you have photos of it please post it!
    01-07-12 12:49 PM
    sounds like you are worrying a little too much.... ill side with your wife
    robber and Flexin like this.
    01-07-12 12:58 PM
    Just place a naked (no case) pb on a flat table. If it wobbles side-to-side in any direction or you can spin it like a top, then you would have a bulge. But some wobble significantly - meaning it is more of an issue. In some it is very minor but some have a significant bulge making typing on a table a harder experience as it moves under foot (so to speak).
    01-07-12 01:01 PM
    Bulge:

- Playbook can't lie flat
    + Playbook doesn't get too hot where the Blackberry logo is

My 16 GB doesn't have it. The 64 GB does. No issues either way. In cases, no problem whatsoever.
    01-07-12 01:48 PM
    The bulge I had on my 32GB was slight--and it sounds like yours is also if you have to look that hard. I'm waiting on a 64GB and if it has a similar small bulge I won't care. A larger one and I'd return it.
    01-07-12 01:58 PM
    I have read about this Bulge and I am paranoid about it happening to mine.
    I don't think you have to worry. I've been reading these threads since April 19 and, to my memory, not a single one has claimed that the problem occurs after you receive a flawless PlayBook or gets worse over time for those which have the problem.

All reports that I've seen state simply that the PlayBook had a bulge already when it was received, and not that it ever worsened over time.

I believe some early purchasers were able to return theirs under warranty, but I suspect those were either extremes, or simply the first few which reported the problem and RIM wanted to see for themselves, must in case it was the battery. My guess is that none of the bulges have actually been because of the battery.

Hoping to hear some facts and evidence from anyone who knows otherwise...
    01-07-12 01:58 PM
    I returned mine to RIM yesterday to repair the bulge. I wasn't so concerned about the bulge per se, it was the fact that the playbook was perfectly flat when I purchased it and within 3 weeks it developed a bulge. It was most likely due to the heat generated from watching hours of streaming video at a time.

If yours ships with a bulge then it might not be a big deal, but if the back casing changes shape at all while you own it, that is a cause for concern in my opinion.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-07-12 02:09 PM
    There is a member here claiming a growing bulge(on the back of the PB). I have no reason to doubt his claim but that is the only one I have heard of.
    We have 2 PB's. One with a large bump and one I have made to lay flat again. The bump is in a round shape around the logo. I think the flaw is from manufacturing. If the bump was from the internals pushing out it wouldn't happen in a circle shape.
    I was able to remove the back cover, heat and press the the back flat again. No more wobble. It didn't bother me much I was just curious.
    peter9477 and kjic13 like this.
    01-07-12 02:23 PM
    I returned mine to RIM yesterday to repair the bulge. I wasn't so concerned about the bulge per se, it was the fact that the playbook was perfectly flat when I purchased it and within 3 weeks it developed a bulge. It was most likely due to the heat generated from watching hours of streaming video at a time.

If yours ships with a bulge then it might not be a big deal, but if the back casing changes shape at all while you own it, that is a cause for concern in my opinion.
    Ok so make that 2 members claiming growing bulge.
    My therory is that bump happens during the pressing of the logo. Somewhere along the line they decided that was not acceptable and figured out a way to press them flat again. Plastic has some memory and when heated enough will go back to it original state. I fixed a car bumper that way and was suprised that it goes back to exactly the shape it was before.
    Mine has stayed flat since I pushed it back but I never really use the PB for extended periods so maybe I'm not getting it hot enough. Battery guru reports my highest temp to be around 39C.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-07-12 02:32 PM
    The biggest worry is if it's because of the battery:

Lithium-Ion Battery Swells Up Like Jaba the Hutt (Made By Monkeys)

It seems for the Playbook, it has more to do with the case material, which seems to warp due to heat.

Since the Playbook battery is on the right hand side of the Playbook (looking at the screen), I'd worry about a bulge on that side, not the center.
    01-07-12 02:37 PM

Okay, thanks for the report! I'd missed the other person reporting it as well but thanks to Chaddface for mentioning it.

I'd certainly agree that if it develops a bulge, it's a cause for concern, even if it's purely a "plastic memory" issue and still cosmetic... after all, it could get worse until it wasn't merely cosmetic. Now I'm very interested to learn what might be causing it... Chaddface's theory seems plausible for now.

There were several reports of people who actually had battery leakage, where some crusty white stuff was seen at the seam around the edges of the case. Anyone recall whether those reports mentioned the bulge in conjunction with that? Given the inherent safety issues with Lithium-Ion batteries, if they've had some defective units and it can be tied back to (the very very few?) cases where the bulge actually grows, I'd certainly take back some of what I said earlier.
    01-07-12 02:40 PM

I would like to know if you get the same PB back with a different rear cover. That would give us some insight into RIM's feelings on this issue.
    Although I suppose their system may just return a new PB and they will fix yours later.
    If they do just replace the cover that may indicate RIM doesn't think there is any wrong internally.

The other member said tech support claimed RIM made minor design changes to help with cooling but I don't recall what the changes were. I hope he will be along to explain in better detail.
    01-07-12 03:23 PM
    I have a 16gb with no bulge, but my sister got the 64gb pb and it started getting a bulge. MAybe the harddrive size has something to do with the heat and subsequent warp?
    01-07-12 03:29 PM
    I use the convertible case, it works perfectly for my needs. I can't be bothered to remove it from the case to see if mine have a bulge, but I imagine if you are interested in a case, you could avoid any annoyance. For most, seems to be mainly cosmetic.
    01-07-12 04:09 PM
    My wife says I am crazy.
    Join the club - so does mine. I'm sure all wives think their husbands are crazy, but only some actually say so out loud!

I just want to know what to look for. So if your PB has it or you have photos of it please post it!
    Back on topic, I have a 16GB PB that is flat and doesn't wobble at all, and a 64GB that can spin on the silver pips like a top. Both work perfectly, the bulge hasn't grown, and I have no worries that a failure is imminent. I doubt a photo would help frankly, you wouldn't see the bump. We're not talking the Hunchback of Notre Dame here, it's just that some PB's seem to have more pronounced "pips" at the back.

As a previous poster said, in my convertible case, the PB lies completely still. You should buy a case for your PB... your wife'll still think you're crazy, but at least your PB will be better protected, and in a case it'll be "out of sight, out of mind" as my Gran used to say.
    01-07-12 04:40 PM
    I would like to know if you get the same PB back with a different rear cover. That would give us some insight into RIM's feelings on this issue.
    Although I suppose their system may just return a new PB and they will fix yours later.
    If they do just replace the cover that may indicate RIM doesn't think there is any wrong internally.

The other member said tech support claimed RIM made minor design changes to help with cooling but I don't recall what the changes were. I hope he will be along to explain in better detail.
    I'll report back once I have it. The main reason that I chose the same unit repair over the advanced exchange is that my playbook had no other flaws besides the case warping. I hope that they do not swap out my unit for another one that could potentially have other issues.

The bulge on mine was pretty much centered on the bb logo but was slightly to the left. I verified this by placing it on a flat surface. The right side of the playbook was pretty much flat to the table while the left side was slightly raised.
    diablodvs7 likes this.
    01-07-12 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD