Hi,

our OWA access (through web browser) is configured to accept only SSL connections. Our configuration requires a private key (certificate) to initiate the connection. I was able to load all company certificates (root and my private one) to my PlayBook and I can see them in the certificate storage with proper attributes (VPN, wifi, web). However I cannot force the playbook browser to use the private certificate for the SSL connection. The weird thing is that all other server certificates are assessed properly as trusted so the browser can load the general certificates from the storage...but it's not using the private one.

Any idea where could be a problem? Is there anybody else trying to open SSL OWA through the playbook browser�?

BTW I can't configure my company email through the standard email account as the ActiveSync because (as far as I understood) playbook doesn't accept personal certificates for the authorization; it always requires username and password.

Jan
    03-01-12 06:26 AM
    I have the exact same problem. For the same reason I suspect that I can not get my Exchange Active Sync running either. This is really sad ... after waiting so long for Exchange and a "desktop-grade" Mail client to become supported it still doesn't work ...
    03-01-12 09:11 AM
    Add me to the list of disappointed PlayBook users whose Exchange Active Sync setup is extra secured.

This was the number one reason I wanted the PB 2.0 update. At least we can use Touchdown.
    03-01-12 09:40 AM
    Has anyone actually got a response from RIM that personal certificates are not supported? BBhelp on twitter simply sent me the link to their support which is only available for the first 90 days after purchase and I was one of the first to own a pb!
    03-02-12 12:32 AM
    Has anyone actually got a response from RIM that personal certificates are not supported? BBhelp on twitter simply sent me the link to their support which is only available for the first 90 days after purchase and I was one of the first to own a pb!
    No, I haven't confirmed with anybody, it was just my observation . I have bought the PB a couple of months ago so I might be able to go to BBhelp... Can you send me the link?

Jan
    03-02-12 07:49 AM
    I had problems setting up my work email that uses owa....I finally got it after playing around with it for awhile. Contacts, calendar everything is working fine now.
    03-03-12 11:33 AM
    No, I haven't confirmed with anybody, it was just my observation . I have bought the PB a couple of months ago so I might be able to go to BBhelp... Can you send me the link?

Jan
    Here you Go Jan:

Please contact PlayBook support (BlackBerry - BlackBerry PlayBook Complimentary Support Plan Terms and Conditions) for further investigation into this matter.
    03-07-12 03:53 AM
    I had problems setting up my work email that uses owa....I finally got it after playing around with it for awhile. Contacts, calendar everything is working fine now.
    Webcrwaler:

How did you set it up? I have been trying to set it up since day one of OS 2.0 and no luck. I managed to sideload touchdown app but it works only over wifi.

In advance I will like to thank you for your assistance.
    03-07-12 07:38 AM
    Hi, here is the answer from the PB RIM support regarding the ActiveSync certificate authentication:

Hello Jan,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

This type of certificate authentication is not available as of yet, but it is scheduled to be resolved in a future software build.

Once this feature is available, you will have to have 2 certificates installed at work. You will need a valid client certificate installed that was created for user authentication, and you will also need a trusted root certificate to the server that you want to connect to. This will be so you can use the certificate to bypass the username/password authentication feature on the tablet.

If you require further assistance or if your issue has been resolved for now, please reply to this message.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Paula
    03-15-12 08:16 AM
    Hi, here is the answer from the PB RIM support regarding the ActiveSync certificate authentication:

Hello Jan,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

This type of certificate authentication is not available as of yet, but it is scheduled to be resolved in a future software build.

Once this feature is available, you will have to have 2 certificates installed at work. You will need a valid client certificate installed that was created for user authentication, and you will also need a trusted root certificate to the server that you want to connect to. This will be so you can use the certificate to bypass the username/password authentication feature on the tablet.

If you require further assistance or if your issue has been resolved for now, please reply to this message.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Paula
    Thanks for posting the reply you received! I knew we needed the 2 certs but the other piece was the missing link. Hopefully we'll have that update soon!
    03-15-12 10:39 AM
    I don't believe RIM has ever made a statement when this will finally be supported? It's not rocket science and even consumer orientated Apple iOS can do it ...
    04-25-12 04:37 AM
    I don't believe RIM has ever made a statement when this will finally be supported? It's not rocket science and even consumer orientated Apple iOS can do it ...
    Sadly OS 2.1.0.1032 released today does not include this feature. Very disappointing.
    10-03-12 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD