Is there an alternative browser for the playbook? I can't access key sites, namely our bank, our online credit card payment (sagepay) or even our email and web servers (1and1). The sites require IE or Firefox and as for 1and1, the control panel loads to 90% and then hangs.

RIM seem to have reinvented the wheel ... a square version - this PIECE OF KIT is supposed to be a business machine yet you cannot carry out the most simple of operations on it without having to jump through hoops. Try copying, say, a clients address from an email and pasting it into an invoice in excel, see how far you get.

I don't know what RIM developers are thinking but whatever it is, they have not got business users in mind.
    07-19-11 05:39 AM
    Before people start to jump down your throat. There are PB browser fanatics around here. The reasons those sites do not work if the are requiring full Java, the playbook browser only use java script right now, like a lot of webkit browsers. Second reason is those just don't support the browser. You cannot blame RIM for this. I use Opera on my desktop and some websites won't view because they don't support it.

Oh and currently there is no third party browser for the playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 06:07 AM
    Before people start to jump down your throat. There are PB browser fanatics around here. The reasons those sites do not work if the are requiring full Java, the playbook browser only use java script right now, like a lot of webkit browsers. Second reason is those just don't support the browser. You cannot blame RIM for this. I use Opera on my desktop and some websites won't view because they don't support it.

Oh and currently there is no third party browser for the playbook.

07-21-11 10:39 AM
    Being passionate is good but you still have to remain objective. Don't get me wrong, I am very much an advocate of blackberry phones, I've used them since their initial release. We have 4 and upgrade each year so I have used most models and I pretty much run my business (and life) with a 9780. So I had reasonably high expectations of the playbook.

Back to objectivity - Have you tried doing any of what I mentioned in my initial post? Do you know of a news feed/app worth reading (in the western world) that is compatible with the pb. And what's with flat file storage - didn't we move to organisation with folders back in the 90's! I won't get into the bridge/bluetooth connection wait time. Battery life, yes its great - but keep 3 spare phone batteries in your back pocket if you want to surf on the go.

Fact is my 9780 has more functionality than the pb - I can select and copy directly from an email and paste it into excel and, get this... I can create a folder inside a folder, name them and store files in them!

I don't know, maybe this is just a tablet thing. I held out for the pb and have not tried any of the other competitors out there + the ipad was always a bit on the large size so perhaps they all have the same sort of short comings.

As it stands I am hugely disappointed, I've had it a month, have used it about 5 times and I am struggling to find a reason to use since it does not do the fundamentals that need. I don't do games. So I guess I will just have to hold out for android compatibility.

Am I alone on this?

07-21-11 10:42 AM
    I noticed last night I also can't open my bank's main site (Chase). But I found that Googling Chase let me see a link for the mobile version which gave me access. Interestingly, when I opened the mobile version link it didn't look like a mobile version - it appeared to be the main site. Either way, I got in and accessed what I needed to access.
    07-21-11 10:46 AM
    Personally, I would never do any kind of on-line banking from a tablet. But, I checked my bank, Citibank, and the site works perfectly.

I think that most sites that reject Playbook do so because of browser identification issues: the makers of the site limit access to certain browsers. My guess is that if not for these policies, Playbook would work just fine.
    07-21-11 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD