I was using my playbook up until recently with an older Nokia phone, and used tethering to access native mail.

I went to a new Z30, and have been a bit stumped by the bridge behaviour. (Tethering is not supported as a Bluetooth profile in Z30's, and I don't want to have to turn on a wifi hotspot unless really needed.)

Yes, I have defined my email accounts directly on the Z30, but sometimes would like to use the Playbook's email client instead.

Trouble is, this gives me an error about the email server when I try to sync to the IMAP server over bridge. Ie 'The mail server for blah blah is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server temporarily offline.'

Question - what is really happening over the bridge? Is it not a transparent internet connection? It looks like it might be providing a limited HTTP proxy only, not giving full ability to access POP/IMAP.

Details:
    Carrier: rogers
    Email: Teksavvy (and others I have tried) - imap
    04-25-14 11:50 AM
    The bridge connection is definitely limited, but I'm not sure of all of the technical details. I will try to get you some help on this.
    05-04-14 02:04 PM
    KB34569-BlackBerry Bridge functionality matrix for BlackBerry smartphones

Take a look here

Also here
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/50430/BlackBerry_Bridge_App_3.0_and_BlackBerry_PlayBook_ Tablet_2.1_Security_Technical_Overview_en.pdf
    pkcable and diegonei like this.
    05-04-14 02:16 PM

Circling back to this, I also found this link : http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB28187

Indicates that Activesync is allowed over bridge, but IMAP is not.

So, I will need to read emails on the Z30 when out and about, and not be able to use the Playbook to read larger emails until I get to a wifi connection. Or go back to a phone that allows tethering.
    05-13-14 12:16 PM
    So the "free" browsing over bridge on BB10 prevents email from working?
    05-13-14 12:30 PM
    So the "free" browsing over bridge on BB10 prevents email from working?
    Browsing on your bridge connection doesn't prevent you from receiving your emails.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:35 PM
    Browsing on your bridge connection doesn't prevent you from receiving your emails.

Posted via CB10
    I know on OS7. I have never used bridge with my Z30 because I gave up on my pb so I don't know how it works.
    05-13-14 12:37 PM
    I know on OS7. I have never used bridge with my Z30 because I gave up on my pb so I don't know how it works.
    Also that way on OS10. I currently do it with the Q10 and receive my emails thru my outlook.com account while surfing.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 12:48 PM
    Also that way on OS10. I currently do it with the Q10 and receive my emails thru my outlook.com account while surfing.

Posted via CB10
    What s the op's issue then? That bridge doesn't mirror the phones email? Just add the accounts to the pb.
    05-13-14 01:27 PM
    What s the op's issue then? That bridge doesn't mirror the phones email? Just add the accounts to the pb.
    OP said Activesync (e.g. outlook.com) is allowed over Bridge. IMAP (yahoo, gmail, aol, etc.) is not. I guess I'll find out soon setting up the Z30-PB bridge. I mainly want to share internet, tho. If that works, I'll be happy.
    05-13-14 05:20 PM
    OP said Activesync (e.g. outlook.com) is allowed over Bridge. IMAP (yahoo, gmail, aol, etc.) is not. I guess I'll find out soon setting up the Z30-PB bridge. I mainly want to share internet, tho. If that works, I'll be happy.
    I find very odd that you can have internet yet not be able to get mail thru your mail client. Do they just shut the client off then?
    05-14-14 07:04 AM
    I find very odd that you can have internet yet not be able to get mail thru your mail client. Do they just shut the client off then?
    Don't really know how Bridge works with BB10 or how it worked with OS7. Looks like some sort of handshaking/protocol issue with IMAP. Even the PB loses password periodically with IMAP. I'm guessing you'd be able to access the account through the web browser.
    05-14-14 08:18 AM
    Don't really know how Bridge works with BB10 or how it worked with OS7. Looks like some sort of handshaking/protocol issue with IMAP. Even the PB loses password periodically with IMAP. I'm guessing you'd be able to access the account through the web browser.
    Yes and we all know how it goes when that is suggested
    05-14-14 08:35 AM
    The client tries to connect, but cannot connect via imap. I believe the bridge provides selected proxy support only, rather than an open general pipe to the internet. I think it is a remnant of the BIS approach. Likely when they rethought BIS in BB10 devices, they should have re-jigged bridge to just be a general purpose vpn via the BB10 devices.

My beef is that bridge has limited internet functionality, and the tethering option on Z30 is incompatible with the playbook support. Ie they do not agree on a bluetooth profile to use - dun vs pan.

I would be fine if they added bluetooth dun to BB10.
    05-15-14 08:27 AM