hi guys, just started crackberry just few weeks ago when i purchased my playbooks and i become a crackberry addict in no time! found the forums very much helpful. i just need some advice and want to know if anyone there have had an experience bridging and tethering to pb using curve 8520? hows the speed considering 8520 is only 2g. thanks in advance for your replies, never been disappointed here in CB! my wife will be using 8520-pb combo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-28-12 10:09 AM
    The speed, well, sucks!

It's not a good experience, but it does trick...after waiting a while of course ^^ You can do a google search, but its almost impossible to watch a video on youtube. To visit theses forums is also painfull but it works.

But it works fine with GPS tough I bridge to OsmAnd and it works fine.

If you have the chance, get another phone( i would if i had the money ^^).

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-28-12 10:17 AM
    Bridge. And Teethering are too separate things. Teethering is using your phone as a hotspot. In the USA there is typically a $30-40 monthy charge for this service. Bridging can only be done with a BB phone and it allows you to use your playbook as a mirror of your phone for contacts, emails, calendar, viewing and editing docs, viewing photos saved on your phone, using your data plan of the BB for your Internet wherever you are without incurring additional fees.
    The speed of the Internet will be limited to what the speed is on your phone. Older model BB phones were not known for blazing Internet Speed. But if you are somewhere without WiFi it comes in handy.
    08-28-12 10:19 AM
    The speed, well, sucks!

It's not a good experience, but it does trick...after waiting a while of course ^^ You can do a google search, but its almost impossible to watch a video on youtube. To visit theses forums is also painfull but it works.

But it works fine with GPS tough I bridge to OsmAnd and it works fine.

If you have the chance, get another phone( i would if i had the money ^^).

there are actually 3 BBs in the house, torch 9800,bold 9700 and curve 8520 but my wife love her 8520 as we used it mainly for bbm. The playbook will be a gift on my son's bday and one for me ofcourse for the video chat since im overseas, this is a good option to stay in touch and we dont have wifi connection in the house. 9700 is old and maybe she will not trade here 8520 for the bold.

08-28-12 10:30 AM
    and strickly no new bb phone until bb10 come out of its shell!

08-28-12 10:38 AM
    Oh, so i guess you're screwed man :s

Try to make a video chat bridging with the 8520 when you have the chance, but my guess is that it'll freeze :s (never tried it tough).

Try to convince her to use the other phone ^^

08-28-12 10:57 AM
    thanks dude, i'll do it and maybe its also good to upgarde the bold to os 6

08-28-12 11:05 AM
    For what i read,the best combo is Bold 9900.

But anyother with 3G might do the trick inspite the data spendings it will bring :s

08-28-12 11:20 AM
    we have both unli plans so no worry about data, 9900 is good but i think not a good investment right now considering BB10 is coming not to mention the batt life. we'll see how torch 9800 and bold 9700 works on pb, hope not be disappointed with the speed and video call quality. thanks for your time and effort bro, highly appreciated!

08-28-12 11:42 AM
    Nice Then post about the torch since im thinking to buy one

08-28-12 11:53 AM
    sure, i'll update with the experience

08-28-12 11:55 AM
    From I remember, Video Chat needs a WiFi connection to work. I don't believe it works over Bridge/Tethering.
    08-28-12 12:50 PM
    My experience is, from fastest to slowest:
    1. WiFi
    2. Mobile Hotspot via WiFi to my 9900
    3. BT tether to my 9900
    4. BT Bridge to my 9900

Carrier speed is my bottleneck as well as BT. WiFi hotspot is great at 8MBps.
    roger33-33 likes this.
    08-28-12 02:17 PM
    Useful info Dim-Ize....how would you rate the 9900's battery usage under 2.,3. and 4. Thanks.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    08-28-12 03:07 PM
    Oh, so i guess you're screwed man :s

Try to make a video chat bridging with the 8520 when you have the chance, but my guess is that it'll freeze :s (never tried it tough).

Try to convince her to use the other phone ^^

I know the feeling, my wife got a curve 9300 3g (daughter wanted a bb so I suggested we give her the 8520...)

All was fine until it had os6 not 5, fortunately a downgrade later it's the same as her 8520 but with 3g - and yes bridge works well and speed tested at 2mb which was mainly due to signal of virgin mobile.

My bold 9900 speed tested at 600k over 3g - the 9300 on virgin was faster! via bridge, I'm on Orange running os 7.1 hybrid.

For my wife the PB is amazing, she likes my ipad but to explain how to tether it out of the house (it's 3g with no sim) is like but to just tell her launch the bridge app and select her phone! she gets 1gb data!

I do like bridge, it's smart to allow all 3 of us to use but only see our own email / calendar and still ask for phone password - family PB! now apple wonder why you don't do this.... hope BB patented it
    08-28-12 05:12 PM
    Eheh a nice story for a change

This is a great functionality that should be protected from the competition.

If they can patent "pinch-in-zoom" , they surely can patent this!

08-28-12 06:28 PM
    Useful info Dim-Ize....how would you rate the 9900's battery usage under 2.,3. and 4. Thanks.
    Hi Roger.

Well, the reality is it negatively reversed. The fastest battery drain is as follows:
    2. Mobile Hotspot via WiFi to my 9900 - keep in mind, you turn on WiFi and HotSpot on your handset. It sucks battery like a vaccum.
    3. BT tether to my 9900 - this is nothing near the HotSpot in terms of drain. But, I wouldn't leave it on all day either.
    4. BT Bridge to my 9900 - this is very mild. It is my honest, humble, and non-technical opinion - that this option requires very little batter usage from the 9900 since it isn't pulling except when needed (actively Bridging calendar, contacts, or web).

The BT stack is somehow capped in the PlayBook / 9900 combo. I think there's a faster BT software version out there - but our hardware isn't using it. I mean this to read, that BT bandwidth isn't maxed out with the version RIM gives us on the PB / 9900 connection. I think the technolgy may be there hardware-wise, not utilized software-wise with version 2.0 / 3.0 (used / current).

I'm sorry this is such a lame response without a bunch of hourly failures, etc.

The fact is, Hotspot is smoking fast with WiFi - at a pretty big hit from the battery on the 9900 (PB is consistent drain from what it would be in your house though). I'd say it (9900) would drain in an hour to hour 1/2 with heavy use if you didn't plugin your handset for a boost. It is really fast on 4G handset devices though. The PB lasts much longer than the 9900, obviously.

The Tether option is next fastest on the road - with moderate battery drain on the 9900. With heavy use 2-3 hours. The PB doesn't drain too quickly. 3/4 a day at moderate use is expected.

The Bridge option is third fastest on the road - with very little battery drain from the 9900. I'd say 4-5 hours with moderate use on this as well as option two above. It just doesn't suck the battery down as fast somehow. The PB may last all day too unless you're doing some streaming (which might be choppy anyways).

The WiFi HotSpot is my choice when needing data during the day, which is usually a few times - then I toggle back or off to conserver battery. WiFi HotSpot also lets you use App World which is nice if you hop on here and see a cool App which you want.

I really like the flexibility with the two. I've won two iPad (latest versions) and one iPad2. I gave my iPad2 to Mom, my newer iPad's to my brother and kids to enjoy. But, I love the PB for mobile. It's pretty sweet for my needs with SplashTop (always used with WiFi HotSpot). I can really make use of mobile, VPN connection, access to corporate files, etc. Very eager to see 2.1 standard role out in order to make use of Bridge via WiFi too.

Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have more accurate data than my usage feel to report.

Ultimately very impressed and pleased with the PB / 9900 combo. ATT is sometimes a pain though
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 08-28-12 at 07:48 PM.
    roger33-33 and Boight like this.
    08-28-12 07:44 PM
    I haven't had a problem with the 8520 and the PB, I think the speed is great and its well, all right.
    08-29-12 07:27 AM
    Define great a well please...

30 seconds or more to open a google search is not great! Not even good!
    08-29-12 07:32 AM
    I haven't had a problem with the 8520 and the PB, I think the speed is great and its well, all right.

Can you use the video call app w/ your 8520-pb tether? Somebody said it only works for the wifi

08-29-12 09:23 AM
    working now shrinking os6 .723 on 9700 to squeeze some extra memory to prepare pairing with pb

08-29-12 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD