I'm ready to hit the BUY button on a Playbook but apparently it only 'Bridges' to Blackberry's using OS 5.0? I just did an update on the BB and the latest OS shows only 4.7.1. Does this mean I can't bridge a Playbook to the BB? Can I force OS 5.0 onto the 9630 in any way? A little guidance here is greatly appreciated.

I can find OS 5.0 for the Tour for Sprint, but the Bell Mobility page at Blackberry.com only gives the 4.7.1 OS. Will installing the Sprint version brick my Tour? I've read where you can delete the Vendor xml file. If I upgrade the OS using another vendor's version, will this delete all my other apps on the BB and need reinstalling? I dearly want to get a Playbook but need the bridge feature.
    Last edited by TOphotog; 10-20-11 at 07:22 PM. Reason: solved
    10-20-11 02:48 PM
    Sprint's latest tour OS is 5.0.0.1030

I loaded it on a tour the other day and bridged it to a playbook

Install the sprint version, delete the vendor.xml file first
    TOphotog likes this.
    10-20-11 03:09 PM
    Thanks, manofice. Will upgrading the OS delete all my apps on the BB and need reinstalling or will they still be there, in your experience?
    10-20-11 03:19 PM
    Thanks, manofice. Will upgrading the OS delete all my apps on the BB and need reinstalling or will they still be there, in your experience?
    You'll have the option during the install to have your apps backed up and re-installed automatically. It is enabled by default.

There's no danger in installing an OS for a different carrier. They're all exactly the same OS, you'll even keep your Bell branding. The only issue is that if you call Bell for tech support they might ask you to downgrade first (though in reality they support many other OS 5.0 devices so it shouldn't be an issue).
    TOphotog likes this.
    10-20-11 04:59 PM
    Taylor, thanks for the reply. I actually managed to backup my apps via
    How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps - Page 6 - BlackBerry Forums Support Community

So, once I upgrade the OS, the BB talks to Bell Mobility to reset itself and they won't have a problem with the OS upgrade? I'm pretty nervous doing this as I totally rely on the BB for my business and can't brick it. LOL
    10-20-11 05:06 PM
    So, once I upgrade the OS, the BB talks to Bell Mobility to reset itself and they won't have a problem with the OS upgrade? I'm pretty nervous doing this as I totally rely on the BB for my business and can't brick it. LOL
    It's been years since I ran an OS officially released by Rogers on any of my BBs. I've never once had an issue, never heard of anyone having an issue.

All you do is download and install the new OS on your computer. Then the next time you plug in your BB Desktop Manager will say there's an update and ask if you want to. It's all automatic from there. I think if you're connected to a BES (work-owned enterprise server) you will need to do re-activate though, but that'll be pretty easy.
    10-20-11 05:09 PM
    Taylor, no BES.
    Just connected thru BB Desktop Manager after deleting vendor.xml file.
    At Application Loader, it shows the available updates, incl 'Blackberry 5.0 for 9630*' and below that *Only active Blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry device software upgrade."
    I hit NEXT, and it says "no software update is required for your device" so it looks like ET is phoning home and it's preventing from upgrading to 5.0. GRRRRR
    10-20-11 05:41 PM
    You should manually backup before doing any upgrade. Generally, the process does restore your settings and data and apps. But I've had more than one occasion where I was left with an upgraded but very naked device.
    10-20-11 05:41 PM
    I run the 9630 Tour and have no problems at all bridging with it. I have the latest bridge and OS.
    10-20-11 05:43 PM
    F2: I did a backup, and I backed up the 3rd party apps as well... just in case
    modine: my problem now seems to be how to get OS 5 onto the BB Tour. Bell Mobility's latest official version is 4.7.1. I'm trying to install another carrier's version of OS 5.0.0.983, removed the vendor.xml file but my BB won't upgrade to the 5.0 version, even though the upgrade shows up in the Desktop Manager's "Update Software". I do have a voice and data plan, I am a service subscriber but it won't upgrade. There's where my frustration now lies.
    10-20-11 05:53 PM
    Are you using the latest Desktop Manager? If not upgrade it.

If that still doesn't work try App Loader. It will be in C:\Program Files\Common\Research in Motion\AppLoader. It does the same thing but with fewer checks.
    10-20-11 05:54 PM
    Taylor: Desktop Manager is 5.0 - upgrading now. We'll see if that fixes it.

My next move was going to be AppLoader as suggested on a few sites.

We certainly don't live in a 'plug and play' world. Four hours worth of computer stuff just to attach to a playbook???
    10-20-11 05:59 PM
    Taylor, it looks like the upgrade to the Desktop software has done the trick. Thank you so much for that tip! Upgrading for the next hour... Will advise if all is successful. Thanks again.
    10-20-11 06:23 PM
    Taylor, the OS upgrade was installed successfully via the upgraded Desktop software, thanks for that tip. Looks like everything is there, just fine tuning the settings. Thank you once again for all your help.

Man, OS 5 runs so much nicer on the BB than the previous 4.7.1. Faster response, the trackwheel seems to perform better. Should have done this a long time ago. LOL

BTW, great work with the Access Fusion. Keep it up - I have JMD and will be using your developments one day, hopefully not too soon.
    Last edited by TOphotog; 10-20-11 at 07:27 PM.
    manofice1 likes this.
    10-20-11 07:21 PM
    Glad I could help.

BTW, great work with the Access Fusion. Keep it up - I have JMD and will be using your developments one day, hopefully not too soon.
    Thanks, but I've got to ask, how did you managed to find Access Fusion from my CrackBerry account? Did not realise I had them linked in any way.
    10-20-11 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD